• 2 gb ddr2 800mhz
    • ATi Radeon 1950pro
    • 2 320 gb hd
    • turtle beach santa cruiz sound card
    • wintv pvr 150
    • 500w psu
    • 6 fan case
    • and two light scribe lg dvd burners

I was thinking of upgrading my graphics to a crossfire system. And add 2 more gigs of ram, maybe 4. I heard Vista doesn't like the over 4 gb of ram thing. i don't know if this is true i have been told it by a couple friends. I need the graphics for graphics software, and video games such as Age of Conan, and other heavy loaded games. I wanna run them on fairly high level of graphics quality with shader, and texture quality on full. I would think i needed more ram to load faster but i don't know. I was looking at the ATI radeon 3870HD 512mb video card, with just some ocz gold pc6400 ram. I wanna do crossfire of the 3870 because there not too expensive. would this be good, i wanna keep that price range, so alternatives may be acceptable. Do you think i should upgrade my processor or is it good enough? or any other suggestions.

Re: Graphic and memory upgrades

Unless you have a 64-bit version of Vista, or any OS for that matter, getting over 4gb is a waste of money as it simply cannot be used. That said, if you do have a 64-bit OS then extra ram is a nice plus, ive got 6gb of DDR2 at 1100mhz and vista is much snappier than when i had just 2gb. However 2gb is fine for pretty much everything, nearlly all of my ram is just sat idle msot of the time.

If your considering crossfire, look to getting a single 4850 from ATI as these cards are looking hot. You would probably get on fine with one card, but the option for 2 in crossfire is there and i reccon your PSU should be ok. If the 4850 is too pricey then a seccond hand 3870 might be a good idea, im sure loads of people will be looking to upgrade to the 4XXX series cards so you'll get a bargain

Hope it helps

Comment

Skip the 3870. Get a 4850. THere is no comparison and for $200 or less, the 4850 is one of the best bargains. They are already found on sale for under $170 too.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

If u run crossfire 4850 u may find massive CPU limitations unless u overclock it. Plus the motherboard only supports PCI-e x16/x4 which limits the graphics cards' potential. take a look at tweaktown's article comparing pci-e x16 1.0 and PCI-e 2.0
        Asrock P55-Extreme
        Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
        2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
        ASUS HD5850
        1TB Samsung SATA II
        Corsair TX650W PSU

Comment

LOL!! That is a load of crap. 4850 Crossfire will run perfectly fine with no issues on PCI-E 1.0. Anyone that tells different needs to rethink their testing methodology.

I also did not mention Crossfire and considering you just don't need multiple GPU's unless you run over 1920X1200 resolution. A single 4850 is roughly as powerful as 2 X 3870 as well.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate
          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
          X