Ga-ma78gm-s2h F5 BIOS. Anyone have success yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ga-ma78gm-s2h F5 BIOS. Anyone have success yet

Was wondering if anyone did this upgrade yet, and if so, how did it work out. This one actually includes new AMD AGESA code (for booting, board initialization, etc) and could change the behavior of the board for real.

I have 2 of these boards, and want to upgrade, but.....

Re: Ga-ma78gm-s2h F5 BIOS. Anyone have success yet

Answered my own question. It worked on one board, and bricked the other. Oh well, another dead ma78gm. I've been through 6 to get 2 working ones.. Maybe I should have tried another brand... argh.

Comment

Flashed f5 on 6/27 with no problems. In fact, it appears to have resolved a minor problem involving boot order that I mentioned in an earlier post.

On your "brick" board - have you tried clearing CMOS then flash using Q-Flash? Avoid the @Bios utility.

OD

Comment

I updated with f5 the moment it was avalaible, it worked perfectly, the board appearently runs smoot, I've no compalins (apart from NB? temp). Since everybody is repeating it, I shoud do it to; NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use the @Bios, use a USB stick with QFlash!

Comment

Originally posted by Overdraught View Post
          Flashed f5 on 6/27 with no problems. In fact, it appears to have resolved a minor problem involving boot order that I mentioned in an earlier post.

On your "brick" board - have you tried clearing CMOS then flash using Q-Flash? Avoid the @Bios utility.

OD
          Yep. But I get no video on the bricked board. It looks like the CD is trying to do something, I've made 4 different variations of CDs including boot block ones, with the BIOS files on them. Nada so far.

I never use @BIOS, learned my lesson once. This time, Qflash hung and then when I did a reset, no video.... argh.

The system starts, runs, fans spin, etc, but no video. Maybe Xpress Recovery is trying to do something, but I'm not sure what the CD should have on it.

Comment

Do you have a floppy drive already installed and setup on the dead board?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              Do you have a floppy drive already installed and setup on the dead board?
              I can... will that do something? Will it look there?

Comment

No, not now since you did not have it installed before it will not already be set as the first boot device.

If you did, which by your comment wording I dont think is the case, you could try a Blind Flash >>>
                Award 6.0 BIOS - BootBlock Recovery

But like I said you had to already previously had a floppy installed and set in the BIOS as the first boot device

What you may be able to do though, is take a OS/Boot hard drive out of one of your WORKING boards and stick it in the first slot (Also try the same one being used now if this differs) of your dead board and turn it on and let the BIOS try to recover the BIOS from the HPA out of that drive

Comment

Thanks... but I think its roached completely. While it does search the CD at boot time, it kind of goes into this repeating pattern regardless of what I do.

I tried the floppy, but it didn't work. Interestingly, I did have a floppy installed on that board before, but have it mounted on a bench now. I did NOT though have it in the boot order, so maybe its marbles are forever screwed up. Too bad these don't have removable ROM chips, as that would be preferable to an RMA, but alas, I think its RMA time for me.

Comment

Yeah, the floppy must have already been installed previously when it was working and set in the BIOS as the first boot device for it to even attempt to work

Yeah, sounds like RMA is in order. That would be GREAT, and likely save them a TON of cash due to RMA's if they used Dual/Quad actual removable chips on the boards instead of the "Virtual" non removable chips they use now

Comment

Yeah, I agree. I've had more bad flashes on Gigabyte boards than any other, but I still use them for nearly all the computers in my house due to their overall quality and features. Its not that hard to create a method to recover firmware. I tried everything Gigabyte claims to have, but none of them ever work. Oh well, back to california for this board.

I've been trying to get one of these up and running for a replacement machine for my wifes aging machine, but I've literally been through 4 in the past month, each one had problems. 1 was DOA, one had massive problems of all sorts, one had a bad southbridge and would not run a RAID 1 set, and this one had a bad flash.

Yet the one that I've been using has been running perfectly 24/7 since they came out in march. Hybrid graphics, vista, raid, video capture, [email protected], 4gb memory, etc,etc. Full boat. No issues.

Argh.....

Comment

Ya I love Gigabyte as well, QUALITY Stuff in my opinion!!!!

Drop the NV chipset and you may have better luck, does your wife really need SLI?

Comment

I have a weird bug. Rev 1.0 board with F5 bios using HDMI. If i enter advanced bios and try to change the onboard VGA output option my BIOS freezes! Anyone else have the same problem?

Comment

Wish I knew about this forum before I tried flashing to F5. I had no problem flashing to F4, which was necessary to get proper recognition of memory, but still had some video and audio instability, so hoped F5 would help. I used QFlash (Iknow, I know, but it worked great with F4), and now I get nothing. The fans, hd, and cd all spin, but no video, no post,no virtual bios recovery. I don't have a speaker in my case, so can't report beeps. I just tried a new ps, no luck. Guess I will see if Gigabyte will RMA me....

Comment

Qflash is what is good (Provided you use the BIOS for your board rev and model)

Flashing with @BIOS is what is bad.

Did you have a floppy drive installed? If so this may help you, if not ya, you will need to RMA if letting it keep cycling or clearing the CMOS does not work. To do that best, unplug your PSU from the wall and put a hard drive or optical jumper on the Clear CMOS pins and let it sit for 20 minutes or so, then remove the jumper and plug your PSU back in and see if it will start up . Here is what I said may help you (ONLY if you already hade a Floppy installed and enabled in the BIOS) >>>
                              http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/im-a...my-bios-26905/

Comment

Working...
                              X