Help For Semi-Noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help For Semi-Noob

(I just spent 20 minutes writing a post and lost it, so i'm gonna cut it down a bit. Sorry if i come across rude in this post, i just cant be bothered to write all that again, i'll just cut to the chase)

I need help getting the most out of my system
    SPEC:
    GA-P35-DS3P
    Q6600 G0 stepping (stock heatsink+fan)
    Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 4-4-4-12

In the pictures below, i tried to get the 1:1 ratio but i think i messed something up cause my FSB seems to think its a frying pan and would like to cook an egg. Could anyone help me out and tell me what i've done wrong?

Also, with the muliplyer set to 6x in the bios, my CPU didn't drop its speed, it just stayed at 2.4GHz. With the settings i had before (9x 266) it dropped the speed to 6x 266 (1.6GHz) so it saved power when my PC wasn't under load)

I was hoping someone could help me out with my settings to get the most out of it that i can. I'll be getting a better cooler soon so i may overclock a little bit later down the line, but for now i'd like to get it running as it should. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Steve

Re: Help For Semi-Noob

Well with a manually set 6 multi your pc cannot speedstep/throttle down as it does with the multi at 9.

Now I need to know a few things before making some suggested settings to you. Do you want Speedstep enabled? And what freq do you want to run your CPU at?

You wont have many options with speedstep enabled as far as using 1:1 ratio. And you wont want speedstep enabled really if you want to use 1:1 and have you ram at or above 800MHZ because your optimal setting would be a overclock that you would want/need to have speedstep (C1E + EIST) disabled to keep stable.

Those choices would be >>>>

3.2 CPU Freq. Using 8x400 (Ram @800MHz 1:1)

Or
    3.4 CPU Freq. Using 8x425 (Ram @850MHz 1:1)

Or
    3.6 CPU Freq Using 9x400 (Ram @800MHz 1:1)

3.6 may be a hard thing to do until you get a better CPU Cooler, and some Q6600's just wont do it anyway and be stable, but either way Heat is a Major Factor

Let me know your plans, and what you would like to run and I will make some full suggested settings for you

Comment

Hey Lsdmeasap, thaks for your reply. My ideal CPU speed would be around 2.8 - 3.2GHz. I cant really do much in terms of that because of how hot things are getting. I had it clocked at 2.8GHz for a while but noticed the temp rised quite a bit. At standard (2.4) i have an idol temp of around 44c, and thats with the speedstep on, so its really at 1.6Ghz@44c. My room is quite stuffy during the day, and my temps normally drop to around 38c at night.
      I would ideally like to keep the speedstep on to save a bit of life on my CPU. Maybe i should wait till i get my cooler then come back and see what you suggest.
      I dont have any problems with speed around windows, and games (i have a BFG 8800GT) i would just like to get the most out of i can

Comment

Ahh, what cooler are you using. And yeah if it is the stock cooler you are going to need a better cooler for sure with those ambient temps

And what are you load temps at the highest Setting you had the CPU on already?

Speedstep is not going to be easy to get stable at 2.8-3.2 as you would likely need MORE voltage over the normal just to keep it stable when it stepped down. Best to keep it off your CPU will last a long time, longer then you plan to keep it before you upgrade trust me. As long as you keep it out of the crazy high temp ranges

This is what I would suggest for 3.2 >>>

EIST + C1E disabled

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
        CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
        CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
        CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [400]
        PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
        C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
        DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 4
        Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4
        Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
        Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12

Start with the higher settings and move lower ONE AT A TIME testing after each move

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
        Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4-6 Or 9-11 DO this one last & Test the 9-11 first then benchmark it and see if 4-6 is better then 9-11

Write to Precharge Delay_________3-5
        Refresh to ACT Delay______________38-42 (May be able to do less then 38 such as 24-32, test dead last)
        Read to Precharge Delay__________3-6
        Static tRead Value_______________7-10
        Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Leave on AUTO, ZERO or 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
        DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
        PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
        FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] <<< For stability
        CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.40- 1.45] << Only you and your cooler, your chip and mind can decide what is best here. For 3.2 much over 1.4 is not likely needed but each chip is different so you will just have to bump it up and see where it gets you. Keep a eye on your temps.

Personally I would start with 1.45 and work backwards until it is not stable, then go back up till it is

Comment

Working...
        X