GA-X38-DS4 and Crucial Ballistix 1066

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X38-DS4 and Crucial Ballistix 1066

Hello, I recently built my computer with the DS4, intel quad core, Windows Vista, and chose the Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1066 as my RAM. I bought two sticks (1 gig each), which at first kept my computer rebooting constantly (before the comp would even POST), after taking out one of the sticks, the computer ran decently for about a day before I got frequent BSoD. As this has continued, I have sent off for new RAM from Crucial, this is my 5th stick (of which I am currently using the 1 that has yet to give me errors). By now I have come to the conclusion that it isn't a bad stick of RAM. I have recently begun to modify the timings (the auto timings on my mobo are 5-7-7-24 i believe so I manually switched them to 5-5-5-15), but I still get errors when I try to add a new stick. Is there anything you can think of to help?!?

Re: GA-X38-DS4 and Crucial Ballistix 1066

First of all you should see this (likely why you are on your 5th stick. Can't believe they did not tell you of this, it comes straight from them) >>>

NOTICE: X38/X48 Ballistix Tracers Compatibility Dropped

I personally feel Crucial Ram does not work at all with GA boards, but it is just my opinion from MANY threads such as this. And also they tend to Die very quickly, from over or undervolting, and just out of the blue. Not the best anymore by far!!!

But yes, you need to manually set some things for 1066. I would suggest you try this. First off, if you do not have a USB external Hard drive, go into Integrated Peripherals page and disable Legacy USB Storage Detect >>>

I need to know your CPU and what Freq you are running it at so I can tell you what Multi to be using for your ram below where you see *'s

CPU Clock Ratio ____________[*]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________[*]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____[*]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

The settings below, use the highest numbers until later. Then you can try to lower ONE AT A TIME testing with each move

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 11-14
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 38-52
    Read to Precharge Delay__________4-6
    Static tRead Value_______________7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Do not change/adjust. Leave on Auto or Zero or 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V (2.2 is VERY HOT and not often needed, try 2.1 for while, if you keep seeing issues go to 2.2 (+0.4) and if you still keep seeing issues EBAY that ram and get another brand. <<<I would do this now

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<< For Stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] <<< For Stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] <<< For Stability

Please post your CPU and what you are trying to run it at

Comment

The CPU Clock Ratio is 9x (default)
      Host Frequency is 266
      SPD is set to Auto but it doesn't tell me what that is...
      Last edited by dvdtyrant; 07-17-2008, 01:56 AM.

Comment

What CPU do you have? The Multi in AUTO should tell you, but either way you want to manually set it. What CPU is this?

CPU Clock Ratio ____________[9]
        CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
        CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________[266]
        PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
        C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____[4.00] <<< = 1066 MHz Ram Speed (Actually 1064 but good enough)
        DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Comment

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @2.4 GHz according to the Welcome Center (in control panel.)

Comment

K, Just wondering. Well if you are running it at stock then the above settings are correct for you to manually enter.

Do not let the RED FLASHING scare you

Comment

I actually just put in my second stick (that had been acting up and causing my computer to reboot) and everything seems to be working fine! Thank you so much!! I have already started to look for new RAM since I just found out that this Crucial was taken off of the support list...

Comment

Glad to see you are having better luck, those settings can likely be lowered but just remember to test after each one moved setting.
                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Why is it so hard to find DDR2 1200 RAM? There are very few out there from what I can tell...I would prefer to not downgrade to the 1066 if possible...

Comment

You have 1066 ram right now, what do you mean. Most 800Mhz ram will do 1000/1066 with looser timings. And 1066 ram is actually 800 ram anyway, just tested to perform at 1066 speeds with 555 timings

If you want for sure higher then 1066 ram, get a set of these they are Micron D9's>>>
                    Newegg.com - mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1150 (PC2 9200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

But most all ram will do 1000 or above, just with looser timings

Comment

What about DDR2 1200 (PC2 9600) RAM? Any difference? Is it worth the upgrade from 1150 or 1066?

Comment

Nope, not really. You would ONLY see differences in benchmarks and they WOULD be small

If I was you, I would just get some 1066 ram.

Comment

Working...
                        X