No announcement yet.

P35-DS3R Sound/Noise Issues? Static/Buzzing/Humming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35-DS3R Sound/Noise Issues? Static/Buzzing/Humming...

Please be aware that I did use the search function prior to starting a new thread. I searched for "DS3R noise" and "DS3R sound" to avail. On to the actual problem...

I use headphones at night for listening and editing MP3s. Ever since I began using headphones, I hear constant static and general signal noise coming through from the sound card. At times, I will be scrolling through a webpage and "hear" the scrolling frequencies. Even if nothing is playing, whatsoever, I still hear static.

Under device manager, "Realtek High Definition Audio" is listing driver version 5.10.0.5618, with a date stamp of 05/07/2008. I believe this is the most current driver, although I will check shortly and make sure.

I'm sure other people have experienced this issue, or are currently experiencing it. Is there a solution other than buying a fancy standalone sound card? I don't necessarily consider myself an "audiophile", but it sure would be nice to have some clean sound. Take, for example, classical music - at times, it becomes totally silent... The higher the volume is, the louder the noise/static can be heard. Please help! :)

Thank you all in advance.

Re: P35-DS3R Sound/Noise Issues? Static/Buzzing/Humming...

I've come to realize this is probably electrical noise being picked up by the soundcard... Now I'm wondering if drivers will even make a difference.

Comment

OK, I just found out this only happens when I plug my headphones into the front green port of my PC case. If I plug it into the back there is absolutely no noise... Damnit, Antec.

Comment

Yes, often times case's wiring is not compatible/or the same as what your onboard sounds output level is. Which is likely the case here.

Sometimes you can look at diagrams of both wire sets and rewire it properly if you need it done that badly

Comment

Originally posted by nobugsonme View Post
          OK, I just found out this only happens when I plug my headphones into the front green port of my PC case. If I plug it into the back there is absolutely no noise... Damnit, Antec.
          I'm having the same problem with my GA-EP43-DS3L and the front port on my Antec Sonata III case. Wondering which Antec case you're using?

Wish there was a solution for this. It's REALLY irritating.

Just had a thought for a possible workaround: my desktop speakers are really old, and don't contain a headphone jack. Perhaps if I got new ones with a headphone jack, I could plug in there and make the problem go away. (Since the speakers are plugged into the rear of the mobo.)

Still, wish I didn't have to spend more money to fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by darose View Post
            I'm having the same problem with my GA-EP43-DS3L and the front port on my Antec Sonata III case.
            BTW, contrary to Lsdmeasap's thoughts, I'm suspecting that this is an issue with the mobo, and not the case. Lsdmeasap: got any suggestions as to what (if anything) I might be able to do on the board to fix this problem?

Thanks,

DR

Comment

Do you have the newest realtek drivers? And as said above did you check your case wiring diagram to be sure your case supports the output from the board?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                Do you have the newest realtek drivers?
                I think so. The Gigabyte UpdManager tells me I'm up to date, and Windows (XP) can't find a newer one. The details on my driver are:

Realtek High Definition Audio
                Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
                Driver Date: 5/7/2008
                Driver Version: 5.10.0.5618

And as said above did you check your case wiring diagram to be sure your case supports the output from the board?
                Hmmm ... well, looks like the HDA wirings aren't exactly the same for the case:

... and for the mobo:

... though it's hard to tell for sure without an explanation of what all those abbreviations are for the pins.

Still, I don't think this is root cause of the issue. I tried switching everything to use AC'97, and still had the problem with that infernal squealing.

Would I be correct in assuming that getting a pair of speakers that have a headphone jack and plugging my headphones into that, instead of the front panel, would make this go away?

Comment

Hmm well your case diagram say HDA (High Def Audio) which is What Reltek is but some of the wires are not matching up with the board. Such as 6 is the one I see mainly that is different and could cause a issue. Your case has a Mic pin there, and your board has a ground pin. Thus putting + Voltage into a - Ground pin on your board.

That is not good, may have fried it (But likely not) but I know it is not good and could cause this feedback you are hearing

Are you wanting to use headphones? My suggestion to you would be either not use the Front panel and your case together (meaning unplug that now) or re-wire the pin-outs as it is they do not match up for HD or AC97.

So I would either do that, or plug whatever you want to use into the rear of the board

Cases OFTEN do not match up wiring wise with motherboards it is just the way things go and something you should ALWAYS check before plugging in and attempting to use a case plug, and this is for sure one example

Comment

The sound is working so all is not lost.

I had a similar problem with an EX38-DQ6 and my current EP45-DS5 moboard but fixed it by rerouting the front sound connection via the top of the case, well away from the MB and most importantly the graphics card.

I have an Antec 300 case and it was very easy (on my boards anyway) for the HD front sound cable to lie on the graphics card when plugged in.

Make sure this is not so as there is a lot of noise generated by the graphics card which can be induced into the headphone wiring.

Since re-routing the cabling well away from the MB and Graphics I have no noise, I am plugged into the motherboard HD connection using the Antec HD front panel connector.

Hope this helps you.

regards,

Harry.
                    Last edited by Harry230; 08-28-2008, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Hmm well your case diagram say HDA (High Def Audio) which is What Reltek is but some of the wires are not matching up with the board. Such as 6 is the one I see mainly that is different and could cause a issue. Your case has a Mic pin there, and your board has a ground pin. Thus putting + Voltage into a - Ground pin on your board.

That is not good, may have fried it (But likely not) but I know it is not good and could cause this feedback you are hearing

Are you wanting to use headphones? My suggestion to you would be either not use the Front panel and your case together (meaning unplug that now) or re-wire the pin-outs as it is they do not match up for HD or AC97.

So I would either do that, or plug whatever you want to use into the rear of the board

Cases OFTEN do not match up wiring wise with motherboards it is just the way things go and something you should ALWAYS check before plugging in and attempting to use a case plug, and this is for sure one example
                      Hmmm ... very strange situation. Bought some new external speakers with a headphone jack, assuming this was going to be the end of it. But lo and behold, I'm even hearing the static through the headphone jack in the speakers! And they're plugged into the rear speaker jack located directly on the mobo!

Methinks this is really an issue with the board, then. If the board is emitting staticky noises through the rear sound jack, then I'd imagine the problem is really something inside the board's wiring, and there's probably not much more that can be done to fix it. Though if you've got any suggestions, I'm all ears.

This board (GA-EP43-DS3L) really has not been a great purchase, IMO. Before this sound issue, I was having probs the board not working properly with my 2x2GB memory (which you were eventually able to help me through - thanks!). Never had any problems at all with my previous MSI board though. Worked out of the box. Doesn't give me a warm & fuzzy feeling about purchasing Gigabyte boards in the future. :-(

Comment

Is this P35 or P45? You say both so I just wondered?

Power supplies do also leave "Feedback" thru speakers, have you tested a older or different one?

Have you Moved your PCI-E card to the second slot to see if things improve? Sometimes a poorly shielded card can cause sound feedback as well

If it is P35 we are talking about then it may just be this >>>
                        DPC Latency Spiking

Ya, it does seem P45 has alot more issue then P35, I can say that from the mass questions for support here that are actual issues rather then just needing general BIOS settings or general Help

Comment

Is this P35 or P45? You say both so I just wondered?
                          Neither. It's a P43, which I've been saying all along. (GA-EP43-DS3L) I think you're confusing me with some of the other people posting on this thread.

Power supplies do also leave "Feedback" thru speakers, have you tested a older or different one?
                          I haven't. Mostly because I don't have another to test with. Still, the PS is a brand new Antec EarthWatts 500 (came pre-installed with the case), and though I suppose it could be the problem, I'd think that's on the unlikely side, since a) it's brand new and b) Antec PS's are generally pretty good.

Have you Moved your PCI-E card to the second slot to see if things improve? Sometimes a poorly shielded card can cause sound feedback as well
                          Not an option. This board only has 1 PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot, so I can't move the video card.

If it is P35 we are talking about then it may just be this >>>
                          DPC Latency Spiking
                          It's a P43, not a P35. Does that chipset suffer from that issue as well?

Ya, it does seem P45 has alot more issue then P35, I can say that from the mass questions for support here that are actual issues rather then just needing general BIOS settings or general Help
                          Are you finding that with the P43 as well?

If there's anything else you can thing of that I might be able to try to work around this, I'd really appreciate it. (And thanks much for your help so far, btw.)

Comment

Ahh yeah, sorry I confused you with the Original poster of this thread when I Saw no specs listed I just glanced at post one. Sorry about that

Well generally most PSU's that come with a case are junk and should not ever be powered on with a system.... But Antec I have not heard much about so it could be ok to use, but I wouldn't

If it was me I would for sure be saving to get a new PSU, or at least try to find/borrow one. Or even fire up one of you older ones. Antec PSU's may be fine, but this info you read about them likely does not include PSU's that come free with Cases

Could be wrong, but that is just me. I'd never use one myself for more then a test run or a day or two. I have used them before, but ONLY that long while I waited on a PSU.

PSU is the single most important thing in your system, and using one you got for free is not the best thing at all. Especially if you are using a Good Graphics card

Well I posted that DPC link because I thought you had what this thread is about P35-DS3R

But yes, alot of boards have them. And it is not really totally a board/BIOS issue. Drivers and applications can also cause DPC latency.

But what you describe is Feedback, from your PSU or Graphics card likely

Well the only thing I can think for you to do is test some other stuff. Try to borrow or find a older PSU you have, and you can also try to find or borrow a older graphics card you have and test that as well

But like I said on page one your case wires are off compared to the board, but the backside of the board plugs would be/could be affected by feedback from your GFX card or a Insufficient/Failing PSU

Comment

I am having a similar issue with noise being generated by my mobo...GA-EP45-DS3L.

I am using an Antec case and in response to LSD, they make high quality PSU's for the most part. Many are manufactured by Seasonic which is a brand you should recognize and the PSU's that come with cases are the same as the ones they sell. They don't use different parts for their bundles. I have tried both my Antec NeoHE 500 PSU and my Corsair HX520 PSU with the same issue being present. To clarify there is more info in my post but the noise is not coming out of my speakers but the board itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X