EP45-DSR3 MCH Voltage with Corsair Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-DSR3 MCH Voltage with Corsair Memory

I hope someone can help me out with some troubleshooting. I have an EP45-DS3R with an Intel Q9450 overclocked at 3.2GHz and 8GB of Corsair Dominator PC8500 memory. I've had a hard time getting the memory to pass Memtest 86+ without raising the voltage above stock for EPP timings. It's supposed to operate at 5-5-5-15 2T at 2.1V. I get errors unless I bump the voltage. I've had one pair replaced already and the replacements gave the same results so it is very unlikely it is bad memory. In order to get them to pass I was having to use 2.2V. Last night, on the replacements I got a pair to pass at 2.16V in the BIOS (actual voltage is 2.13V due to Vdroop I guess). by increasing the MCH voltage from the default of 1.1V to 1.16V. I've read that other motherboards are using 1.4V and 1.5V but before I change anything and see if that is the culprit, does anyone here have any advice? Thanks.
    Components:
    Motherboard: EP45-DS3R: Rev#:A2
    BIOS Version:F11e
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 (@ 3.4GHz)
    Ram: 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066, 8500C5. Includes Corsair Fan
    Power Supply: Corsair TX750
    Video Card: XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition (512MB)
    Sound Card: Soundblaster XFi PCI Express
    Cooling System: Zalman 9700
    Hard Drives: WD Velociraptor (300GB), WD Raptor (150GB)

Re: EP45-DSR3 MCH Voltage with Corsair Memory

Ya, you need more MCH for sure for 8Gb. 1.1 to 1.16 is not enough at all. I suggest trying 1.2-1.3, other then that what trfc and static tRead Values are you using?

Comment

Ok. I just set my MCH for 1.26V. Both trfc and static tRead are set to "auto" The "normal" values listed are 68 and 10, respectively. I'm assuming that I should change these to something else?
      Components:

Comment

for 8GB you should use Manual setting of trfc of 62-68, and static tRead Value of 7-12 will likely be fine (As would AUTO there). But I would for sure be doing some manual tests with the trfc.

What you see on the left is not always what AUTO gives you, it is just what the BIOS happens to be using at the time. I always suggest to Never use AUTO on any setting, those are set for those who do not know or are just starting a system. AUTO is SURELY not going to get you far with 8GB

You may need 1.3/1.35 or 1.4 MCH for 8GB. I use +2 for 4GB always so you will at least need that + some

Do you have XMP disabled, and Performance Enhance on Standard? If not do both of those for sure as well.

Also disable Legacy USB Storage Detect if you are not using a External USB disk

Comment

First, thanks for your advice thus far. In a minute I'll go ahead and reboot and change those settings. Can you also provide good advice, if you happen to know, on other voltage settings and timing settings (there are a bunch in the memory section) that might help me get a stable 3.4GHz overclock (stable meaning passing Prime95). There are bunch of other settings I can manually change that are on Auto. For example -

CPU VCore
          CPU Termination
          CPU PLL
          CPU Reference

MCH Core (I'll change to 1.35)
          MCH Reference
          MCH/DRAM Reference
          ICH/IO

DRAM (set to 2.16 which gives me 2.13 after Vdroop)
          DRAM Termination
          Channel A Reference
          Channel B Reference
          Components:

Comment

Well I tried those settings and didn't work quite well. When I went to 1.34 on the MCH and then changed the RAM timing settings there was a hiccup when I rebooted but it rebooted ok the second time. Then when running Prime, after passing the 8k FFT test my computer froze and I had to do a hard restart. I dropped the MCH down to 1.32 to see if that's the issue. Any thoughts? Do you think that is the problem or the memory timings? Trfc is at 65 and static tread is at 10
            Components:

Comment

It should double boot often times when you change certain things in the BIOS, this is normal. A Triple reboot to default clocks is not, a double boot to the settings you set is normal. Just so you know this, as it sounds like it may have only double booted and you just did not know this is normal

Try static tRead at 12 for now but 10 should be ok down the road. trfc may need 72 you will just have to try. Here is some settings I would try starting with, you may need to go higher maybe not. Just keep in mind higher wont hurt anything to try timingwise so you can try anything you like in that sense.

CAS Latency Time........................5
              tRCD .........................................5
              tRP'...........................................5
              tRAS..........................................15

I know you should likely not HAVE TO, but with my thought on this rams incompatibility and using 8GB you may want to try 6-6-6-15/18 just to see if it fairs any better for you over 5-5-5-12/15

Remember you can raise any of these above what I am suggesting and not harm anything, only overvolting things to much can hurt your system. Not timings

Advanced Timing Control
              tRRD...........................................3-4
              tWTR..........................................12-15
              tWR............................................3-5
              tRFC...........................................62-72
              tRTP...........................................3-6
              Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Channel A
              Static tRead Value.........................:7-12
              tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
              tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
              tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
              tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
              Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
              Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
              Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
              Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
              Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
              Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
              Static tRead Value.........................:7-12
              tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
              tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
              tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
              tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
              Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
              Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
              Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
              Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
              Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
              Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

CPU vCore is all up to you and your chip, 1.365 is the Intel recommended max but you should not need anything close to that without going above 3.6 or so. This also depends on your CPU cooler, if you dont have a good one you wont be able to overclock much above 3.6 or so because of heat and voltage needed

Here is some general info on the other CPU voltages (I do not have a P45 so I cannot say for sure what would be a suggested range. Same applies with the other "Reference" voltages.... I am not sure so I will not make a suggestion) >>>

AnandTech: ASUS Striker II Extreme: Mucho Bang, Mucho Bucks

Adjusting A/GTL+ Levels for Increased FSB Signaling Margins and Overclocking - The Tech Repository Forums

Global Edge Of Stability

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/revie...html#post24996
              Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-07-2008, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Ok...I made the other changes and things seem to be stable. It did make a difference for the better it seems. Now I just have to nail down the MCH Voltage issue and then try the 3.4GHz test again and hope it passes and is stable this time. Prime95 and Memtest kept freezing at 1.36V and lower. Memtest only passed 100% when it was set to Auto. I guess I'll have to try 1.4V. I'm just a little apprehensive because I can't seem to find an upper limit threshold for the P45 voltage anywhere. The CPU like you said peaks at 1.365 and Corsair told me anything under 2.2V is fine...although I have read of testers running it stable and overclocked at 2.3V. Thanks again. Even if I can't get this thing to run at 3.4GHz your help has already improved memory performance by over 200MB/s in Memtest and my latency benchmark dropped by over 10ns in Everest.
                Components:

Comment

If Memtest is failing then you need to work on your ram/MCH, I say that because I am not sure if you meant 1.36 CPU voltage fails Memtest.

I say this because your CPU voltage should have NO effect on Memtest

What you actually should do is take the ram out of the picture for now until you find your stable point you want for your CPU. Then later work on the ram. This way when you have error you will KNOW for sure it is the CPU and not the ram.

To do that set all subtimings on AUTO and then set MAIN ram timings on 666-18

You can also take your CPU out of the equation if you would like to work the other way around.

To do that set your CPU to it's lowest or a lower Mutli and then set your FSB to the equivalent that you need to be able to select a memory multiplier you want to run your ram speed at. Such as 6X533 using 1:1 mutli for 1066 Ram Freq, or 7X450 Using the 2.4 Multi for 1080 Ram Freq. Along those lines if you get what I mean, which I think you would

Anything 2.2 and above you should have a fan directly on the ram, and the users you mention likely do. 2.2 is about the max normal upper limit for DDR2. 2.3 is usable as is 2.4 and 2.5 but anything after 2.2 and your memory's lifetime shortens quickly with a fan or not

Comment

I don't intend to bump my RAM voltage above what it is right now...2.13V. As for the 1.36V...that was for the MCH voltage, not the CPU. My CPU right now is showing 1.23V in Windows (CPU-Z and HW Monitor) and 1.25V when entering the BIOS. I believe my issue lies with the MCH Voltage. Like you mentioned earlier, I may try a manual setting of 1.4V and see if that fixes things. Then if I get a pass on Memtest, I'll try bumping the CPU to 425 x 8 (along with a little voltage increase as well) and see if it is stable then. My only concern is the voltage limit on the P45. I hear of people going above 1.5V on other chipsets but can't find information on mine.

Also, what is your recommended setting for "robust graphics booster?" I'm running an XFX GeForce 8800GT
                    Last edited by mikeynavy1976; 08-08-2008, 11:34 AM.
                    Components:

Comment

OK, I just wasn't sure which you meant for 1.36, yeah I would test 1.4 and see how it fairs for you.

Graphics booster just allows more bandwidth to be available to the PCI Express Bus which you will not ever fill anyway so you can set it on Anything you like and will not see much of a change if any

Comment

Thanks...and I'll let you know how 1.4V goes. In the event I continue to have to try and go higher...I wish there was a motherboard sensor that told me what my voltage was now under "Auto" so I knew when I was in the right ballpark. Do you know if there is a reference that says what the voltage limit on my chipset is...similar to how Intel posts thresholds for processors (i.e. 1.36V for Q9450)? While you're helping me "optimize" my BIOS...do you have recommendations for the Advanced Clock Control (CPU Clock Drive, PCI-Express Clock Drive, CPU Clock Skew, and MCH Clock Skew)?
                        Components:

Comment

1.4V and 1.42V both didn't work...Memtest froze and after the computer wouldn't post had to shut it off in the back and then reenter all of my BIOS settings. Frustrating. This board is supposed to be able to support up to 16GB memory...I'm thinking this chipset has to need over 1.5V if I'm at 1.42V at half memory capacity and still am having trouble.
                          Components:

Comment

1.5 would be the upper range I would use and it should not be needed you are right. Like I said I feel this brand of ram is not compatible with GA boards.

As for the Skew and Drive questions, I cannot say for sure as I have no experience with those settings. I could read up on it and give you guesses but that would not be a good thing on my part. So I would suggest to leave them on Auto or play with them a bit just don't go crazy with it. First one I would try adding to would be the MCH clock skew since you are having Ram issues

Are you using a Ram Mutli with a Strap Letter on it? If so can/have you tried using a different CPU Multi and FSb so that you can choose a ram multi without a Strap letter on it?

Comment

I haven't gone that far yet. I'm about ready to just give up on 3.4 and use this at 3.2GHz and be happy. I know this board isn't a "high-end" board. The impresison I'm getting is to go higher I probably should've got a higher end board like an x48 chipset or something. I may tweak the reference voltages a little but like you said this hardware combination works fine at 3.2GHz...but there is a like a wall prevented stable operation past that. I guess another option would be to try using 2.2V on the memory (I do have the Dominator fan installed). We'll see. Thanks for your help and if you do find out anything on those skew settings feel free to let me know.
                              Components:

Comment

Working...
                              X