old hard drive on a new system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old hard drive on a new system

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.
    I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.
    The new computer has a Vista OS.
    I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.
    When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.
    I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.
    Any suggestions?
    I think my old hard drive is called an IDE drive.
    The Jumpers are set to slave. The system does not see it. Maybe I need to get the driver from the manufacturer.
    Another thing is this. Does it matter where on the ribbon you connect the harddrive? The ribbon has one connection at the end and anotther one in the middle. I am connecting it to the end.
    The hard drive is a seagate model ST320413A and their website does not provide any suggestions for download a driver or making the system recognize the drive.
    When I right click on "Computer" and choose manage and click on "Disk Management", here is what I see after I have rebooted and tried a couple of times:

What now?

Re: old hard drive on a new system

did u even plug in the IDE cable into ur old hard drive? the new connectors is called SATA.
    maybe IDE support is disabled in the BIOS, check ur settings.
    and no it doesnt matter which part of the connectoor u use, though its preferable if u plug in the slave to the second plug.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Comment

Originally posted by randomness View Post
      did u even plug in the IDE cable into ur old hard drive? the new connectors is called SATA.
      maybe IDE support is disabled in the BIOS, check ur settings.
      and no it doesnt matter which part of the connectoor u use, though its preferable if u plug in the slave to the second plug.
      try setting ur mobo settings to default

Comment

The original post is a bit old, so I'm not sure if this is still relevant.

It looks like the hard drive has been formatted to be a Dynamic disk, which is a bit of a problem.

The simplest way to revert it seems to be connect it to a system running Windows 2000, XP Pro, or Vista Enterprise/Ultimate and copy everything off. Then wipe the whole hard drive and repartition it.

A complex workaround is described here:
        The Lazy Admin : Converting Dynamic Disks Back to Basic Disks
        But I think you still need one of the aforementioned operating systems.

Personally I would try putting it in another computer to recover the data. If there's nothing on it you want, just wipe the partition in Vista and create a new one.

Comment

Not only is it old but HD = High Definition, HDD = Hard Disk Drive and there is a separate forum here for HDD probs.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44 View Post
            Not only is it old but HD = High Definition, HDD = Hard Disk Drive and there is a separate forum here for HDD probs.

WTF are you talking about? Seems you spend more time trolling lately than helping. If you don't have anything useful to add then maybe you should skip posting garbage like this........
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter View Post
              WTF are you talking about? Seems you spend more time trolling lately than helping. If you don't have anything useful to add then maybe you should skip posting garbage like this........
              Maybe if the mods around now where as on the ball as the ones that were around here 5yrs ago before these forums went downhill then these wrongly placed threads would've been very quickly put in their correct forums & the same goes for post made in the wrong threads as they would've been cut out & put into threads of their own.

"Trolling"? More like someone/s should get their act more together.

I'm sorry if I come that way but if the Gigabyte forum wasn't here then these forums would be about dead now.

It basically comes down to showing some good organisation here now which really hasn't been here for a long time.

If you don't like it then shoot me but personally if you want these forums back to how good they use to be then some must start to pick up their act.

Have a anyway.

Comment

worked with me
                bought a new cpu wid an old hard drive 80 gb

Comment

Working...
                X