• Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DS3L problems with crucial ballistix 1066 ram

Here is my current setup:
    Intel Q6600
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L
    650W Antec PS
    9600 GTS graphics card
    2(sometimes 4) gig Crucial Ballistix 1066 ram (2.2 volts)
    Vista 64 Ultimate dual boot with XP Pro

Here is my problem:
    I ran the system for about 3 weeks with 2 gigs of ram with no problems. The ram came back on sale so I decided to buy another 2 gigs. I put the 3rd and 4th gig in the machine and ran memtest for about 10 hours, 0 errors. The first time I actually booted into Vista the machine ran for no more than 30 minutes before it blue screened. I restarted and got a blue screen on restart. I went into XP and got blue screens. After getting blue screens 3-4 (if not more times a day) for 3 days I ran memtest again. This time memtest came up with an insane amount of errors and actually froze itself.

At that point, I began playing around with the configuration. I took out the 3rd and 4th gig of ram and went with the initial 2 gigs that ran fine for weeks. I ran for about 2 hours and started getting blue screens again. I figure it must be the ram so I RMA'd sticks 3 and 4. When I got them back I RMA'd sticks 1 and 2 (so I'm up to 8 different sticks total now).

While waiting for the RMA to come back for sticks 1 and 2, the board ran fine for a little over a week. I figured great, it must've been the ram and when i get my new 3rd and 4th gigs everything will be fine. Again the 1st and 2nd gigs run for about 20 hours with 0 problems. Finally, I get my new 3rd and 4th gigs back. Run memtest first, 0 errors on a 15 hour pass.

I load into Vista and within 10 minutes I get a blue screen. That's basically where I'm at now. Somehow I've got the system stable with just 2 gigs of ram in it but I know the ram is not at fault. I gave the ram to 2 different co workers with semi equivalent systems and they each ran for 3-4 days with 0 blue screens and their systems running 24/7. Each told me that memtest passed 8-10 hour cycles at night with 0 errors.

However, what prompted this post is the fact that I'm now staring at my ram and noticed it is 2.2 volts. In my BIOS I'm set at only +.1 volts (at a previous friends suggestion and with him not realizing they were 2.2 volts either). At +.1 volts am I still running at 1.9 volts and would that cause these blue screens like crazy? Each time the blue screen was a different error as well so I wasn't able to find anything specific in the past.

Should I up my voltage to +.4 to match the actual manufacturers rated voltage to give that a shot? I'd really like to run with 4 gigs stable if I can and I know many others have without a problem.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long read but I wanted to be as precise as possible.

TL:DR

Frequent blue screens on system, just noticed that ram voltage is 2.2v but bios is set at only +.1. Will increasing to +.4 help to resolve blue screens. Have already RMA'd all 4 sticks of ram.

Re: GA-P35-DS3L problems with crucial ballistix 1066 ram

Yes, +.4V will do to equal 2.2V, since that mobo has default 1.8V for ram.
    Also, Crucial is not in the QVL for memory, but it is worth the try.
    You might try

Comment

1.9 yes is not enough for sure. But just so you know the 2.2V (rated specs you see on ram stickers) is the rated voltage allowed under warranty on ram not what it needs to fully run properly.

Yes some ram do need the full spec to run at rated speeds and timings, others do not. Most all will not normally need the full amount alloted for warranty purposes.

With that being said you should only need 2.0-2.1 depending on what speed you are trying to run it at. And also 2.2 and above I always suggest a fan on the ram, 2.2 is HOT and is generally never needed.

With all that being said, AUTO is not the way to go for timings either. Especially with overclocking your ram (Which is what 1066 ram is, overclocked 800 ram) And you for sure need to at least manually set a few things timing-wise. You also need to add some MCH voltage for anything over 2GB, I suggest adding +1 even with just 2
      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 01:19 AM.

Comment

I'm having exactly the same problem as Jord. I'm going to try some Mushkin ram.

Comment

Post back when you get them if you need help.

Did you look around and get some settings to try with that you have now, or did you even want to try? Some get Crucial to work without issues, but most often not so much

Comment

I built the rig in May '08 and it worked great for about eight weeks. Then one day it just rebooted on its own. Set windows so it would not reboot automatically and started getting numerous varied blue screens.

Been screwing with this for over two months and as far as I can determine it's not software or driver related. I think that the mobo doesn't really like giving that ram the extra juice it requires.

I bought 2x2G of Redline 8000 yesterday, and it doesn't normally require as much voltage. I'm hoping that will solve the problem so that I can put my OC back on.

Thanks.

Comment

Ya, you will have MUCH better luck with Mushkins. And it is not the board not wanting to put out 2.2V for the ram, and Crucials dont even need the 2.2, they will do fine at 2.0 or 2.1. I have ran some sets stable at 1200 with only 2.1

As for your board you can for sure without issue use 2.2+ anytime, as long as the ram is compatible

Again, Mushkins ROCK!! You will like them for sure

Comment

Working...
              X