Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-DS3L problems with 4x1GB

Hello,

when I bought the motherboard and the 4x1GB RAM (this is the recommended OCZ RAM for the EP45 board) I was not able to work with my Vista 64bit. I had permanent crashes, the computer just reboots hard!! Every 2-5 minutes sporadic!!

With the new BIOS F7 it becomes much better!!! But still I have (not rare but still there) these crashes.

Could it be a problem with the voltage? As it is mentioned in this forum also?

Does anyone have expirience with that configuration?

I have a E8400 installed, nothing changed in the BIOS, nothing overclocked. And a Samsung HDD (250GB, 16MB Cache). Can this also be an issue (I red it in this forum, too).

Thanks
    Christian
    Last edited by scoville; 08-14-2008, 02:57 PM.

Re: GA-EP43-DS3L problems with 4x1GB

OCZ does not work very well with GA boards.

But yes, you do need to change some things in the BIOS. Set trfc to 52-62 and add +.2 to MCH Core

That should get you going

Comment

Re: GA-EP45-DS3L problems with 4x1GB

Thanks for the quick answer!!

Anyone else with experience on that? I will try the settings and give feedback!

Comment

btw: which memory do you recommend!

thanks
        christian

Comment

I recommend Mushkin First off to all who ask, and all my Customers. It is what I use in my own systems and it is great Ram supported by a great staff and support team with Lifetime Warranty.

Then I would second G.Skills, Then Geil.

Others that work good are Team, Kingstons, A-Data, Patriot, and Transcend

Did you try the settings I suggested? You should to be sure unless you have money you just need to spend!

I wuld also suggest trying this as well >>>

tRRD...........................................3-4
          tWTR..........................................9-11 (Try 12-14)
          tWR............................................3-5 (Try 7-9)
          tRFC...........................................52-62 (May need 65+)
          tRTP...........................................3-6

And you may or may not need (+.2 -.25 -.3) MCH Core Voltage.

Is your NB hot at all? Can you touch it with your finger sensor for more then 10 seconds? If not this may be the issue
          Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-14-2008, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks again for your detailled answer!

I am still testing. I can't really say if it helps, because yesterday I had only one crash. Btw is this normal, that when I change settings on the memory timing, exiting the BIOS, then the computer starts but goes off a second time and starts completly?

No the mainboard is not hot at all, i have 3 noiseblockers running and it is completly below "hand warm", except the chipsset cooler, but I can touch it for hours.

Thanks

Comment

Yes, Often times the BIOS must reload the DMI pool if you make certain changes in the BIOS settings.

A double reboot is normal, a Triple is not. A triple reboot means things were not set correct and that the board has reset things to default and you will need to try again.

Expect a Double Reboot most times when changing Settings in the MIT Section, but not always, maybe 90% of the time.

Yeah the Chipset cooler is what I was asking about when I said NB (Northbridge)

Comment

Ok, sound good (or not).

I have triple boots, and in every case I change something the MIT says that there was a boot failure and the actual setting may not be the one displayed in the MIT.
                The NB (I red MB ;-) ) cooler is defenitly "cold" enough.

If I can't fix the problem I still can RMA the memory, get back my money and change it into G.Skill, for example. Do you recommend 4x1GB or 2x2GB??

(btw: It was also interesting to see, that my board configures the CPU with multiplier 8, also I have a E8400, which comes to 2,66GHz with multiplier 8. I changed it to 9 because the E8400 is running at 3GHz)
                Last edited by scoville; 08-15-2008, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Ya when the board triple reboot that means the settings you tried were not correct (Too much of something or not enough) and the overclock failed. The BIOS will be set back to default upon the third boot.

I would recommend Mushkins, or G.Skills. 2x2GB would be easier on your NB (Northbridge)

Did you have a Older CPU in there before? It should have used 9 off the bat. But you can use either anyway, just depends on what FSB and ram multi combo you want to use. Some people use the 8 multi and 500 FSB

Comment

No, it is all brand new.

Thanks for your help. At the moment the system is running stable, but until the crash yesterday it was the same. At the moment I was not able to find a setting in the BIOS without triple boots. I think I will try another memory, as I mentioned I am in the 14days period to send it back and get my money back.

Thanks again for your help, i can give you an update with the new memory, if you are interested.

Comment

Yes please do let me know how your new ram is, and if you need help I can give you settings

2x2 will also be easier to get setup as it is not so much strain on the NB. If you would like me to suggest Mushkin or G.Skill specific sticks let me know your price range and I can link you to some of the better choices at Newegg (If you are in the US) If not I could at least tell you the better choices by Model # if you like

Comment

I would also recommend flashing to the latest bios version, which I believe has resolved some of these memory compatibility issues. The latest bios as of now is F8.

Comment

How many of you P45-DS3L users have flashed up to F8 already? I am loathe to do so unless I know it fixes the 'resume from S3 BSOD' issue, but would be interested to hear reports on how F8 is working for others.
                          Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
                          Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Trust me, if it does not say S3 fix then it has not been addressed yet. It will say it when it has.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news there, just wanted to let you know.

Keep using what is stable, unless you get a itch to flash it to try. But do not expect a S3 fix without seeing it mentioned

Comment

Before the alcoholic becomes motivated to stop drinking, he must first admit there's a problem...
                              Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
                              Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Working...
                              X