e7200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e7200

I used to have an e6550 overclocked to 3.4ghz. Then I got a 4870, and it was only stable at about 3.3Ghz.

So I decided to buy an e7200 and sell my e6550, because I've seen that most people can get them to around 4Ghz. I also ordered 2 gigs of ram to go with the ram I already had.

I got everything today, and put it all together. I started overclocking, and the most I can do is 3.4Ghz, regardless of voltage. I went up to 1.4 volts, and the ram was at 2.2 volts, even though it wasn't even overclocked.

I was hoping to get to about 4.2Ghz, because I have a good cooler and a case with good airflow.
    I was just wondering if this could be a power issue. Like maybe my power supply isn't enough.

I don't think this would be the case, because things aren't under load when it's first starting up. (it always crashes when vista is loading when I go past 3.4Ghz.) Can a not so good power supply limit an overclock?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
    Memory: GeIL and A-DATA 800mhz
    Cooling: Tuniq Tower and Antec 900
    PSU: Rosewill 550 watt

I know that the RAM isn't exactly the same, but they can both do at least 900mhz at 2.3 volts (what I used to run my ram at) and 900 is more than enough for what I need. I didn't get the same exact ram because newegg didn't sell the ram I originally had anymore.

And I know the PSU isn't really the best brand, but it is pretty decent and has good amps.

I'm confused, because before with my e6550, I had it at 486 fsb for a speed of 3.4Ghz. The ram was running at 972Mhz. So I know my motherboard can handle the speed, and I know my ram can handle the speed. And although I haven't tried the new ram at high frequencies, they do work fine at 900 mhz at 2.2 volts. (A-DATA is the new ram)

So in the bios, I disable all the speedstep stuff, and I put the fsb at 379, with the ram at 758. Multiplier is at 9.5 so this is 3.6Ghz. I figure 1.35 volts should be enough for this. When I start it up, it starts to load, and then it either restarts, or a blue screen flashes for a tenth of a second and then restarts. The ram and the motherboard are both well within what they are capable of, and I have even tried upping the voltage on the processor up to 1.425. I just can't get it above 3.4Ghz, and I'm thinking it's a power issue, but I also think my power supply is fairly good. The only reason I think it might be the PSU is because I had to back down a little bit on the e6550 after I got my 4870.

When I go to 3.4Ghz, I set the fsb to 358, ram on a divider so it's at 790, and voltage is 1.3.

I've also tried getting to 3.6Ghz with different multipliers, like going 400mhz with a multiplier of nine, and ram at 1:1. Still doesn't work.
    Oh, and also, when it restarts, it doesn't reset my overclocking settings, so it doesn't seem like it's unstable, is seems more like there's something else wrong.

And also, the temps are pretty good. Idle is 40(which is actually a little worrisome, my e6550 idled at 30 or so) but after a few minutes of stress testing it only gets to about 58, and I just want to stay under 70. So I have room there, and this is with all case fans on low and tuniq tower on lowest setting.

I read on some forum somewhere that this guy had trouble overclocking until he did the pin mod, that takes it up to 333 fsb. Then he could overclock it further. Could this also help me? I'm sure I'll try it eventually, if nothing else works.

I already have the most recent bios.

Sorry for it being so disorganized, I copied a few posts from another forum into this one, so it's a little jumbled.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Last edited by yadge; 08-16-2008, 12:39 AM.

Re: e7200

You CANNOT mix ram modules. All you will do is give yourself a headache as you have already started. Use one pair or the other and sell off the other pair to buy a new matching set

PSU looks good I would think as long as it has enough 12v for your GFX card, But ya you could use a better one.

Did you memtest the new ram yet? If not you should to be sure it is not DOA which happens. And for sure you should remove one of the sets until you get matched ones, you will never get stable with mixed pairs especially mixed brands as they use different chips (IC's)

What settings are you using and I will see if maybe I see a issue. Aside from your mixed ram. I would suggest you remove a set and you will be fine to overclock to 4GHz as long as you get the rest set right. >>>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people there settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Comment

This is what I typically do:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
      CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9.5]
      CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [358]
      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
      C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
      DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18
      ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3
      Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3
      Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6
      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52
      Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3
      Static tRead Value_______________ 8
      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 0

(I just wrote down the numbers in order, so I may have to go back and check that the numbers are right for the setting. This only refers to the ram timings)

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
      DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.400V]
      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.0V]
      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.2V]
      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V]
      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.35] <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________

So that gets me 3.4Ghz.

Then I tried taking out the older ram, and tried again. I first set the fsb to 400, with the ram at 800, and 1.35 volts for the cpu, and +.03V for the ram. It didn't work. Then I brought the fsb down to 387 so the speed would be 3.5ghz, and the ram would be 774. I kept all voltages the same. It still wouldn't work. I'm starting to think I just got really unlucky and got a bad chip.

And thanks for all the help so far lsdmeasap.

EDIT: I forgot to say that I did test the ram, and it's fine. And I fixed the links in my first post.
      Last edited by yadge; 08-16-2008, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Well yeah you could have gotten a bad chip. Have you tried going right to 400 FSB and or using the 8 or 9 CPU multi with 400 or 425 FSB?

This is not good >>>
        DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]

What you see on the left in the timings is not what you get in windows, just what the system is using at the time in the BIOS. They should be manually set, especially for 4GB.

If you are going to use only 2gb then you wont need such a high refresh to act, 38-42 will do.

And you wont need anymore then .15 MCH and +1 FSB. I use .1 FSB all the way up to 525 FSB and it is fine, MCH 1.25 I use for 2gb at 900 -1000, You may want a bit more for 4GB but .2 may not be needed. It is for sure not needed for FSB

Comment

Yeah, I just had the voltages that high so that I knew that there wasn't a problem there.

I have tried using a higher fsb with a lower multiplier in several different combinations. I don't remember what exactly, but I have tried different things.

I just put my old videocard back in and put in only one gig of ram to see what would happen. I tried using both one stick of the A-DATA and one stick of the GeIL, and both times I still couldn't get past 3.4Ghz. So that makes me think it isn't a power issue... but I don't know.

It's just puzzling, because looking around the internet, 3.6Ghz would be a bad overclock for this chip. I might just have to settle for 3.4Ghz I guess.

Comment

There is some terrible chips out there, thats for sure. Have you tried it without using the .5 multi option? Not sure if that would help or not

Do you have external USB drive? If not disable Legacy USB Storage Support in Integrated Peripherals section.

Did you update the BIOS to F12 from something older? IF so did you load optimized defaults and reboot before making any changes? If not you should do that and see if it helps as well. No need to reflash, just load it and reboot then make all changes you need to (ESPECIALLY Disk ones if you use RAID) before you load windows again

Other then that you may be just looking at a bad overclocking chip. It happens to the best of us

Comment

I have tried a bunch of multipliers, with and without the .5.

I'll try disabling the usb storage thing.

And I actually forgot to load the optimized defaults, cause I was so excited about getting it working. I'll go try that right now.

Comment

Be sure you do not load windows again until you have your disks set properly or you wil corrupt your windows.

Good luck with things, I am getting outta here for the night. I will see you tomorrow

Comment

Yeah, it still doesn't work. I can only get to 3.4Ghz.

Do you think it might help if I do the pin mod to make it a 1333 fsb cpu? could that help me overclock it higher?

Anyway, you've been a lot of help, thanks.

EDIT: oh, and I never answered you in the other thread, I just used the older version of @bios and it worked perfectly.
                  Last edited by yadge; 08-16-2008, 01:53 AM.

Comment

I dunno bout that, I have heard in the past that it worked out ok, But have not seen any 45NM mods of it. I doubt it would matter if the chip wont do it anyway

Nice to see your board was saved at least. Now remember dont use @BIOS anymore if you can get away with it. Which you should be able to!

See you tomorrow

Comment

I've seen some people that have done the mod on the e7200. I might try it eventually.

Yeah... I was just really hoping for 4Ghz. Think about it.... lower the multiplier to 9, then do 444mhz fsb for 4ghz, and then 4gigs of ram, and with a 4870.

It would have been awesome....

EDIT: so I found this again at this forum. One person says, "If the motherboard supports overclocking, by BSEL modding, you can effectively leave your chip at the 333MHz FSB strap instead of 266MHz FSB strap. That should be an easy 333 to 400 overclock, and then, you will have yourself a 3.80GHz chip. That's how I did it with the GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H. Originally, any strap below 333MHz on the GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H wouldn't let me overclock much above 333MHz."

I'm hoping this might help me to. Although it isn't the fsb limiting me, it's just the processor not going above 3.4Ghz, it might still help.

Edit again: Okay, so I tried 1.45volts, and it let me past 3.4Ghz. Before I thought 1.4 was more than enough, because I have seen people get to 4ghz on 1.4v. But anyway, right now I have it at 1.5v, and I'm at 3.75Ghz. I'm just wondering how this will affect the cpu. I know it will decrease the life, but will it make it die in like 5 years instead of 10? I'm just wondering how much it actually affects it. And what is the highest I should go?
                      Last edited by yadge; 08-16-2008, 03:09 AM.

Comment

YA, either way then The mod may be your only better option. As for voltage, wow I only need 1.32 or less on mine for 4GHz 1.4+ seems like the chip wont last very long to me. Maybe you should sell it and buy a 8400

I would not even be using 1.4 myself, as for how quick it dies I dunno, but I can say much quicker at 1.5 then 1.4. And 1.4 is too much already

I would say either try the mod or buy a different chip. 1.4 or 1.5 is going to die for sure when you least expect it

Comment

Working...
                        X