GA-EP45-DS3R:DriverAgent vs drivers from Gigabyte website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-DS3R:DriverAgent vs drivers from Gigabyte website

If I get the latest chipset drivers from the Gigabyte website for my GA-EP45-DS3R, DriverAgent still tells me that the following drivers are "bad."
    • USB Mass Storage Device
    • USB Composite Device
    • Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Are these not considered to be motherboard drivers? I'm not eager to pay $29.95 for drivers that I believe a vendor should be providing.

I am encountering a BSOD issue that appears to be driver related and I would like to make sure that all of my drivers are up to date.

Has anyone else encountered this? Does anyone know how to reconcile this? Thanks in advance!

Re: GA-EP45-DS3R:DriverAgent vs drivers from Gigabyte website

FYI, here are the drivers that I am currently using that DriverAgent is listing as "bad." Microsoft Update isn't finding anything newer. Is DriverAgent jerking me around so that I'll fork over $29.95?

USB Mass Storage Device
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 7/1/2001
    Driver Version: 5.1.2600.0
    USB Composite Device
    Driver Version: 5.1.2600.0
    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
    Driver Version: 5.1.2600.2180

Comment

You should get USB mass storage/composite device with the device You plugged in. Since Windows recognizes any USB device was plugged in - it only may need drivers to run it. Still, about IDE controller, this is a MB additional controller, since ICH9 does not support PATA drives anymore and Jmicron runs IDE devices. What do You mean by saying "it is bad"?
      Last edited by artureal; 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Hello and thanks for your response. I have a card reader and a USB/wireless mouse plugged into the system. Maybe the "mass storage device" is the card reader.

DriverAgent.com says the following about drivers that it labels as "bad" : "DriverAgent has a newer or better driver for this device."

I just found out that I can get a few more details from DriverAgent about it's recommended driver:
        Description: SMSC USB Mass Storage Class Driver
        Driver Version: 2.4.0.0 (2003.06.03)

Comment

Start with the drivers attached to the device - they must be good if You meet all software recommendations. Make sure both 1.1 and 2.0 USB controllers are enabled in Bios.

Comment

And those drivers should be included in windows. And the Intel Chipset driver package here (You will want to download the file named infinst_autol.exe after you choose your system) >>>>
            Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

They are just pulling your leg for cash. Does the device work? If not Please Install the Latest Intel Driver package above and reboot and see if it does.

And as said above you need to enable USB settings in the BIOS, and you may need to enable Legacy USB Storage Detect in the BIOS if that card reader is USB 1.0 which I doubt though.

If you continue to have issues with this driver I can connect to your PC and see if I can get it sorted out for you if you like

Comment

Thank you both for your responses. Yes, I do have both USB 1.1 and 2.0 enabled. I have also updated the latest Intel chip INF definitions. I am fairly convinced now that DriverAgent's analysis is questionable, and that they are trying hard to get me to pay $29.99 for unneeded drivers. I originally thought that I could trust DriverAgent since Gigabyte appears to endorse them by providing a link from their site.

My original problem is virtually solved. I was having intermittant BSODs which the minidumps suggested were caused by driver problems. While I was looking for problems with drivers, I noticed that DriverAgent saw a potential problem with my USB drivers. It turns out the root problem was caused by my wireless mouse's driver in which the wireless transmitter was connected to a USB port. This was not detected by DriverAgent, since Microsoft's latest drivers contain the bug.

The problem was caused by a bug in the Microsoft's Intellipoint 6.2 software for my MS wireless mouse. The Intellipoint drivers were causing the BSOD when I was running a database table editor inside MS Visual Studio 2005. The solution was to uninstall Intellipoint 6.2 and install Intellipoint 5.5. Apparently, MS has known about the problem for over a year, yet they seem to have chosen not to fix it. An internet search will show that lots of people have had problems with Intellipoint while running MS database software.

Thanks everyone for your time.
              Last edited by nomoon; 08-27-2008, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Yeah they are just trying to get your money. Similar sites will sell you a BIOS update!

I would ignore there info for sure

Intelipoint eh, I use one myself, Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 to be exact. I am using 6.20.182.0 with no issues on my setup.

If this is a different Version then the 6.2 you mention and would like to test the one I have let me know and I can upload it for you

Comment

Thank you for offering to upload your version, though I don't think that it will be necessary. I'm pretty sure that 6.20.182.0 was the exact version that I was using (I had downloaded the latest version from MS). Based on what I saw with the internet searches, the BSOD problem also occurs with version 6.1.

I only encountered the problem when I was using the database editor (scrollable grid) inside Visual Studio 2005. Apparently, the BSOD will also occur inside MS SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) if the scrollable grid object is used to edit the data tables. I never used this feature from within SSMS. I saw that others were able to eliminate the problem by either killing ipoint.exe with the taskmanager, or disabling the ipoint service. I don't see an ipoint service on my machine, though maybe it's because I am now running version 5.5 and not 6.x. I saw that some people were having a problem with some Adobe applications as well.

For anyone else diagnosing this problem, here is a very small portion of the minidump:

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, bf8e5e56, a8d5e868, 0}
                  Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!UserGetRedirectedWindowOrigin+28 )
                  KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000008e)
                  PROCESS_NAME: devenv.exe

Comment

Well ipoint should be shown in your taskmanager regardless. If it is not the feature is not running properly I would think

Well good luck with it all, Sorry I cannot suggest anything to help

Comment

Working...
                    X