Need Help with Planned System + Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with Planned System + Questions

Hi everyone, i've planned a system to put Ubuntu or Fedora Linux on and just need you guys to review it, along with some recommendations. This is going to be my first built computer from scratch. I'll be using High end 3D apps mostly for this system:

Motherboard: XFX nForce 790i Ultra SLi
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 / 2.4GHz
    Memory: 1GB DIMM 240-pin DDR3 166MHz
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar 500GB, 16MB cache, 7200RPM, Serial ATAII
    Graphics: XFX GeForce 8800 GT Alpha Dog 512MB

I also need help on what PSU to buy, as well as the Sound Card, Tower and CD/DVD drive. I do plan on upgrading the system and maxing out the specs.

Just a few questions:

1. Could i use for example 1GB DDR3 RAM 1300MHz an a 2GB DDR3 RAM 1666MHZ, or would they have to both me 1300MHz or 1666MHz?

2. Could i upgrade the CPU from an Intel Core 2 Quad to an Extreme?

3. How easy would Fedora or Ubuntu be to install? Straight from a CD upon start up - no drivers/configuring required?

Thanks very much for reading and all help will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by da1bu89; 08-25-2008, 11:03 PM.

Re: Need Help with Planned System + Questions

First up I have to ask, are you going to overclock? are you actually going to SLi video cards?

PSU will depend on if you're going to SLi or not.

Sound card, sorry I don't use one, maybe someone else can help there.

Tower, this will depend on several factors like budget, size requirements, bling required etc. if you're in a physical location that gets warmish during the hot months you'll need decent airflow (assuming you'll be using air cooling), size, how much space do you have to fit a case, mix tower ATX etc.

DVD-RW, they're as cheap as chips now, depends on what you require really, do you need Blue Ray capability? Lightscribe?

1. You "could" use the combo but the lowest common denominator rules, the modules would run at the slowest speed and would not run in dual channel. You're best of to buy a dual channel kit (I prefer Kingston HyperX personally)

2. Yes, I don't forsee any problems there with the correct bios support.

3. Sorry, I use Windows, maybe someone else can help here.

Hope that helps you somewhat.

cheers.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Hi, I do plan to SLi once i can afford another GPU. As for planning to overclock, possibly in the near future.

I really like the simple Aluminum full towers with no bling :) - a simple black design like a voodoo, but nothing too expensive. I'll be using air cooling as i've never used water cooling.

For the DVD/WR i don't require Blue Ray or Lightscribe currently.

Thanks.

Comment

A few points reguarding your operating system of choice. I've used several versions of Linux over the years (mostly just as a curiousity.... something different to play with). Fedora and Ubuntu are both easy to install and may find the drivers for everything but you will probably still have to do some package installations to optimize your experience. I prefer Ubuntu for a beginner. Do some looking for install instuctions for your Linux of choice. You are going to want to do some serious research before trying to go to SLI on Linux .... some have done it but I've had no luck. You talk about using "high end 3D apps" .... what "high end 3D apps" are you planning to use with Linux?
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Makes no sense at all to buy an 8800GT right now with the price of the GTX 260 where it is. SLI is hardly worth the trouble as well considering it hardly works right in Windows, never mind Linux.

Linux + high end anything + a Linux beginner = a new Windows customer.

Linux is not the OS you are going to want with high end gear unless you are very proficient with Linux already. I know people that have used it for 8+ years and they still have alot of trouble getting it to work properly with any high end gear.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate
          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Ok thanks for the info. I'll be using Houdini 9, Maya and XSI on the system, and i use Mac OS X as my primary operating system with Ubuntu dual booted on my macbook pro - no way i'm using windows.

Thanks.

Comment

All I am trying to say is that you are going to have a nearly impossible task of finding Linux drivers that work with current high end hardware. Unless you are fully comfortable with major command line programming in Linux then what you want to do is that much harder. Don't start arguments about Windows VS OS-X VS Linux either since that is merely something that is a personal choice. OS-X is no better/worse than Windows and Linux is just not easy to setup and use unless you are hardcore. When custom building a PC you cannot get around the fact that Windows is the best possible OS to run since 99.99% of all hardware made is compatible with it unlike Linux and OS-X which is still light years behind in compatibility. Mac'sare meant to be bought, not built and Linux is not meant for cutting edge stuff as well (except server environments since NOTHING can touch Linux there).

In a nutshell, you'd be best off asking your question here:

Ubuntu Forums

Those guys know their **** back and forth and that is where I learned how to use Linux. Most of the top guys there forgot a helluva lot more about Linux than I ever learned and almost everyone that comes to a PC enthusiast forum is pretty much a Windows user. They could tell you the best possible combination of parts for a high end PC that will work properly. Don't overlook Sabayon Linux as well as I have found it really has the best possible combination of compatibility and ease of installation. No matter which version you choose, you will need to do some hard work to get it exactly how you want it, but it can be done.

One other thing, the only difference between a Core 2 Quad and the Extreme versions is that the Extreme has an unlocked multi and is really only good for extreme overclocking with exotic cooling methods.
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate

Comment

Don't worry man I'm not starting any arguments regarding OS's. Ok i'll take this subject over to the ubuntu forums. Thanks for taking the time to write a good response.

Comment

I hope I didn't come off too strong too as I didn't think you were. I just wanted to get you to a place that can properly answer your questions since you need to talk to Linux guru's to get a proper answer. Good luck with your build!
                  GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                  AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                  PC P&C 500W PSU
                  2TB Seagate

Comment

Working...
                  X