Asus P5K-E motherboard
    MSI Nvidia 8800 GTS 640mb video card
    2 gb ram
    320gb seagate sata drive
    WD 154gb sata raptor drive
    LG DVD burner
    Samsung SyncMaster 216BW monitor
    Coolermaster 550watt PS

The other night my mouse cursor had stopped working. The red optical light had turned off. My keyboard also did not work when the mouse went dead. I rebooted and nothing appeared on my monitor screen. The only thing on the screen was the analog/digital icon which flip-flopped back and forth. This monitor would automatically set itself to whatever type of signal is coming in either digital or analog. I always used digital. However, the monitor could not lock on to the digital signal. I also did not get the no input signal box on the monitor screen.

I noticed that everytime I rebooted, my 8800 GTS card fan would spin at a very high speed. Higher than normal and the mouse optical light would not come on. I swaped out my video card with another but the same thing happened. I replaced the motherboard with a new one and I still get the same problem. The hard drives do spin but the arms do not move (my raptor has a window on top), and the cpu and case fans all spin too. My mouse, keyboard, hard drives and monitor checks out ok. Only hardware connected to the motherboard now is my 8800 GTS, ram, hard drive, and monitor. Nothing else.

I am thinking maybe the Q6600 is faulty, or the power supply went bad. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Re: Booted up blank screen, no mouse optical light

From your symptoms I would say that it is either the mainboard or the power supply. Since you have already addressed the motherboard issue by replacing it (with what I assume is a known working one), the power supply would be my item of choice to check. It should not be the memory, graphics or anything else since it was the USB devices that stopped working first. This indicates it is likely the board itself or the component that powers it.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

You should also test the ram in another system.

Can you load the BIOS or screen with NO Hard drive?

Comment

Hi guys thanks for the responses, I had a bad ram module. If I remember correctly, I did isolate the rams which I failed to mention when I posted. My two rams populated slots 1 and 3. The apparent bad ram was in slot 1 which I first removed leaving the good ram in slot 3. The pc failed to boot up. But when I moved the ram from slot 3 to slot 1, the pc booted up normally. I then removed the good ram from slot 1 and put it back in slot 3 and the pc again booted up fine. Why the pc failed to boot up the first time when the good ram was in slot 3 before moving it to slot 1 is strange to me. I tried different ram configurations to conclude that one ram module is bad. Never thought that the ram can create such a problem.

I will be picking up a pair of new rams. Since I have a new motherboard already installed, what rams would you recommend for the Asus P5E deluxe motherboard? On the high side I was thinking of DDR2 1066.

Comment

Mushkin is my favorite brand.

Glad you found your problems source! Ya, ram can give some pretty strange and confusing errors sometimes. I always say test the ram first

Comment

Working...
          X