Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New @BIOS any thoughts from users?

I do not recommend @BIOS AT ALL to Anyone

I just wondered if any of our users had seen this new version, and if any have used it? Version 2.01 >>>

It does look alot nicer, but I would assume the same programming is behind it. Maybe not though, it is a huge step in version #'s and looks over the older one

PLEASE DO NOT USE @BIOS

This thread is for educational discussions, @BIOS is WELL known for killing motherboards so it is advised to not be used.

I am getting a new board next week so I may test it out with my old which is still warrantied, but that likely would be a waste anyway as one or two flashes with @BIOS may work fine, and it would be the "Next" one I didnt do that would have ended up killing the board.

Just wanted to get some opinions if anyone had any

Re: New @BIOS any thoughts from users?

No, I have steered clear since your warning and the various posts on this forum from people who suffered the consequences. Still, it has to make you wonder: why on Earth would they release an app like this unless they had 100% confidence in it?? Wouldn't they take a board at the test facility and flash it 100 times to make sure this program is rock solid? On the other hand, I have had crash problems with both DES and EasyTune, so go figure...
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

I think they disreguard the past issues with @BIOS and blame them on the user? It seems as if they still say the old one is safe

POINT BEING though is the simple FACT that NO WINDOWS BASED BIOS FLASH IS SAFE

Easytune crash? What/How? You mean using it to overclock with? If so.... you know better, what did you expect?

Comment

Hmm 2.02 now

Still working on it looks like!

Comment

Hi dear Lsd, just for the records, what is the purpose of that "Clear DMI data Pool" button?

Thanks!
          GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
          i5-4690K + Corsair H90
          Sapphire Radeon R7 240
          16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
          Corsair CX750M
          Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

DMI is a standard for listing the components of the system in a table. BIOS creates the table and OS reads it. It makes sense to cache that table and update it only when components change. If it is cached, it must be in CMOS, mustn't it? And clearing it forces the BIOS to recreate the table.

However, wiping data that the OS may depend on while the OS is still running ...

Comment

I have tried to flash my board with that tool on Vista x64, about a month or two ago. I did not have a very good feeling about doing it from inside Vista, but as it is the method Gigabyte suggests, and the tool is an official one, I thought I will give it a try (and of course I trusted the backup BIOS to save me in any case). I did that instead of trying starting to boot from a floppy disk for which I don't have any drive in my new pc, so I would need to create a floppy image which I can boot from my dvd drive.

Downloaded the lastest and greatest @BIOS and started using the "Update BIOS from Gigabyte server" button. Result: The tool can't find a bios for my board (GA-EP45-DS3R) on any server. Great. Ok then I grabbed the newst bios manually from the Gigabyte page and tried with the "Update BIOS from File" button. Result: It tried to update ... and failed.

So I don't know if this program even in theory works on Vista x64. Anyway, if it doesn't even work in theory, then it could at least just exit if tried to run on Vista x64.

I seem to have been still lucky, since my board is not dead. After a few hours trying to create a bootable dvd with the bios image and the great DOS flash tool from Gigabyte I finally discovered the Q-Flash tool in the BIOS itself. Q-Flash worked perfectly, and I don't even know why Gigabyte would waste any time developing any other tools.

Besides the fact that flashing a bios from inside the running OS is not the greastest idea, I still don't get how you can add a GUI like that to tools like @BIOS. First it looks really ugly, second it does not integrate well with the desktop, third nobody knows which shiny parts are actually buttons, and last but not least, it does not look like it would enhance the stability of the tool (by adding a lot of non stanard GUI "hacks" and complexity to the code).

Comment

The Desktop Management Interface (DMI) is a new method of managing computers in an enterprise. The main component of DMI is the Management Information Format Database, or MIFD (the DMI Pool Data). This database contains all the information about the computing system and its components.

Literally, DMI is a data base, containing all the information on the system as a whole.
                Ya, I think clearing it from windows sounds silly as well!

Don't worry guys I do not use, or condone the above application. I just was testing somethings for someone and they asked me to look at the new version.

I think it looks much better now, but yes would not ever use it!

Comment

I used version 2.02 to update my EP45-DS3R from BIOS F5 to F7 without any problems.

I first tried to update the BIOS using my floppy, but this method failed. It uploaded the new BIOS and then I got some sort of error (I think that it was a checksum error), and the program automatically restored the old BIOS before quitting. I read on this forum that this has happened to someone else as well with the F7 upgrade. I then tried the @BIOS program and it worked perfectly. I later read that this method was highly discouraged here.

I later upgraded from F7 to F9 using the floppy without any problems.

Does the dual BIOS of the EP45-DS3R board make it virtually immune to @BIOS disasters? Were any dual BIOS boards used in the reported disasters?

Jason

Comment

Checksum error is normal after a BIOS flash and a reboot. See the BIOS flash guide

And no, you can still get screwed. Yes, many even the Quad BIOS cand fail. It is nto so much the BIOS that kills boards, but a section of it called the BootBlock and that is what can kill any board.

See the pinned guide though, there is recovery methods if you ever happen to mess yours up

Comment

No, L, I wasn't using it for OC - just to check settings and voltages. At that point, without commanding anything from the app, it crashed my computer. However, that was before I had things dialed in, so could be that it was just the final straw, as it were...
                      I do use it occasionally now to check things, and I'm not getting crashes. Still, back to the original topic - it *should* work to command settings and not crash!!
                      Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
                      Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Ahh, I see

Was you using 5 or 6? Pro or regular?

CPU-z and Everest is all I ever use

Comment

I tried to update the bios of my K8NF-9 few hours ago. I had F2 and wanted to update to F10. From Giga site it is possible. I followed their instructions using @BIOS as my PC has not any floppydisk. I did a copy of the current bios and saved it in a folder of desktop. I tried to use the function "update automatically by internet" and it said the bios release was already the last and most updated (??? it is the F2 and I want F10!!). I tried to search from server and it could not find it. Then I tried to instal from the file the F10 release (the one I had downloaded before from the giga site), it ran the installation until 50% then it said "flashing failed", then I reloaded the old version (always by the file obtained from @BIOS) and I tried to reset. The PC, on the boot, displayed only the bios release, the clock, the memory check and then a black page. If I tried to enter the bios setup, it seems it enters but then it stops and doesn't show the classical blue page with menu.
                          What is happened? How can I do? I did all the steps from Gigabyte instructions, but now I am in trouble! Is it possible that the flash device is defective? Is this @BIOS program that doesn't work properly as it seems from this forum?

Please can anyone advise me what to do? If I put a floppy disk and try to install the standard F2 release, will it work? I do not think because floppy was not a disk for my bios ...

Comment

Originally posted by Leonardo Ma View Post
                            I tried to update the bios of my K8NF-9 few hours ago. I had F2 and wanted to update to F10.
                            What moral do you learn from this, you had it running for 10 years which must be a record what made you flash BIOS?

Try to clear CMOS, disconnect the power or turn off the PSU, press power to discharge capacitors, and short the CLR_CMOS pins for few minutes, remove the short, power up and try to enter BIOS.

Comment

As you have AMD AMD Athlon™64 X2/ 64 FX/ 64 socket 939 platform (NON Intel) board ,must use specific utilities.
                              Your board is here (BIOS F2 is Rev.1.x !!):
                              BIOS page:
                              GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 939 - GA-K8NF-9 (rev. 1.x)
                              Utilities page:
                              GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 939 - GA-K8NF-9 (rev. 1.x)

As noted ,latest BIOS is F12k.
                              Per spec. your board has only one BIOS chip.....so hope you didn't BRICK.

Edit:
                              Which @BIOS you used ?
                              Beside @BIOS,you can flash new BIOS with Q-Flash or with bootable USB in DOS.
                              No floppy required.

Last edited by stasio; 02-20-2015, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X