X48T-DQ6 - Strange noise, lights on but nobody home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X48T-DQ6 - Strange noise, lights on but nobody home

I've never seen a PC issue quite like this before, so posting here in hope someone may have advice on what it could be.

It's infrequent, but now and then my PC has dropped to a black screen, like if I press and hold the hard reset button on the case. All the lights/fans are on, but system isn't running anymore.
    The HD light stays on solid.
    A relatively loud buzzing/whirring kind of noise comes from the case. Like a fan going bad, but faster & more high pitched. Or a higher pitched version of the sound POST ram checks used to make on older PC's.

It will often be in that state + noise for a few seconds when the PC is first turned on, then boots up normally. Sometimes it stays in that state until I start jiggling around / replugging the cables in the back.

Best I can tell from holding my ear into the case is that the noise comes from near the CPU / back panel connector area. Around that quadrant anyway...hard to pinpoint exactly. Last time I poked around at the USB connectors on the back and it stopped.

Specs:

X48T-DQ6
    E6800 CPU
    4 x 1GB Corsair 1600 RAM.
    9800GTX Graphics
    Pair of 500G Seagate drives.
    Zalman 750W PSU
    Using onboard LAN + Sound.

Any ideas what may cause such symptoms?

Cheers,
    -M.

Re: X48T-DQ6 - Strange noise, lights on but nobody home

Could be your Power Supply, or your Graphics card. But jiggling the cables fixes it, sounds like it may be something loose on your board.

Not sure what to think, have you had the system outside of your case yet? I would start there, and plug in one thing at a time until you find the source

Comment

Thanks for the quick response LSD.
      So far it hasn't been frequent / reproducable enough to have me start isolation testing. I shall keep that in mind if it gets worse to try track it down.

Comment

Good luck, it could just be something rubbing on a fan also since it stops when you move things. Check your fans over while they are off, may have a slight rub somewhere

Comment

Working...
        X