EP35C-DS3R+E4400@3GHz = 1.5V+?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP35C-DS3R+E4400@3GHz = 1.5V+?

First off, this being my first post, I gotta say I'm loving this forum so far. I have found tons of useful info already, and lsdmeasap has gotta be one of the most helpful forum mods out there. OK, anyway... After reading (and re-reading) the stickys about BIOS settings and mem timings (VERY nice), I have got my e4400 running paired with a 4GB (2 x 2) kit of gskill DDR2 1000 ram. It runs nice and stable so far at 5-5-5-15 timings on a 300MHz (x3.33) FSB. The CPU is set to a 9x multiplier. My issue is that going to 3Ghz and above requires a crazy amount of voltage to keep it stable. When I set the voltage to (Auto) in the BIOS at this speed, it jacks it up to 1.55V!!! At this voltage my cores hit 75C+ under orthos cpu stress test. OUCH!! I have agood case (Antec P180 w/3 x 120mm fans) and an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro HSF. Also, my NB/MCH temps are way high. Like, at idle, they are typically around 35C. I super-glued a tiny lil 6800 RPM gpu fan on the NB heatsink to try to cool it, but with no noticable difference. Also, right now my CPU temp is friggin 38C and all I'm doing is typing this in Opera. The CPU is at 300 x 9 = 2700 MHz, and CPU-Z shows the voltage at 1.328! This seems high to me. Is this a case of bad chip, bad mobo, both, or YMMV? This really seems to me to be quite a bit higher than most people are reporting with these components, and I swear not long ago, I was running 300 x 10 with about 7-10C lower temps and 1.3-something voltage. Any ideas, suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?
    This is very frustrating as this board is (supposedly) rated up to a 400MHz FSB, and even when I drop the multi down to x6 on the cpu, i can't touch that without running way hot and getting hardware-related BSODs....
    Last edited by Cannibeast; 10-03-2008, 06:29 PM.

Re: EP35C-DS3R+E4400@3GHz = 1.5V+?

Please use some Formatting for your next reply, thanks

I see many users getting 3.6 with the 10 multi with your CPU. Do you maybe have too much paste under your heatsink? Have you tried a few times to reseat it with less paste?

I see someone towards the top of the newegg reviews with your same heatsink running at full load @ 3.0Ghz under 42C >>>
    Customer Reviews Of Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Allendale 2.0GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

So I doubt they had to use any crazy voltage. Do you have a M0 stepping CPU? I also see there a user saying he is at 3.2 with only 1.325

And a second user with the same heatsink is at 3.4 under 40C load.

And a User with a P35 Gigabyte board says 3.2 at stock voltage and 3.4 at 1.368

So maybe you just need to reseat your HSF and start over with less voltage.

Your NB temps and fine, actually quite good. For P35 32-38 is a norm

So have you tried using lower voltages at all? I mean some people just set it high and dont try much lower.

What BIOS version are you using? If you want me to look at where you are and see if maybe I see a issue post your full settings for me and I will have a look. There is a few things you need to set to properly run 2x2GB stable, maybe you do not have those set and you think because it wont run then you need more CPU volts. Post me where you are at now, and also you rams warrantied voltage on the sticker >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Formatting? No prob.
      I see many users getting 3.6 with the 10 multi with your CPU. Do you maybe have too much paste under your heatsink? Have you tried a few times to reseat it with less paste?
      So you think perhaps an improperly seated HSF would cause it to require more voltage to stabilize? I would not have thought of that, though I DID go buy a tube of Arctic Silver 5 last night for that very purpose.
      So maybe you just need to reseat your HSF and start over with less voltage.
      Haven't had time to do it yet, but will try soon.
      Your NB temps and fine, actually quite good. For P35 32-38 is a norm.
      So have you tried using lower voltages at all? I mean some people just set it high and dont try much lower.
      Good to know. I was getting some mch related errors in memtest and thought maybe it was overheating. The temps I posted are idle BTW. Under Orthos' bland test i have seen them hit 50s with less than 400FSB. (NEVER been able to get into windows on a 400 FSB, no matter how low everything else is set...)

Voltage-wise, I started at 1.35v per your recommendations in other threads, which will not run stable. Most of the time, I get the 3 reboot BIOS reset cycle. Sometimes I get to see windows load for a split second.. I've tried increasing it one step at a time, i.e. 1.35, 1.3625, 1.375, etc. I got all the way up to 1.45v or so before I set it to AUTO to see what the mobo would think. It posted and loaded windows fine, seemed to run stable for a while. After checking my Volts in CPU-Z, I saw that the BIOS had set my CPU to 1.56V!! Running Orthos at that voltage jacked my temp up to 75+ degrees! Too scary for me to keep at those settings.

I am running BIOS Rev F3. I tried to test out the new F4a, but I get an Invalid BIOS ID Error every time...(This is from the same USB stick I used to flash to F3, so I know that's not the issue.)

Here are my current settings, as reported by CPU-Z and MemSet:

CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
      Fine Clock Ratio ____________[NA]
      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [300]
      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.33]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ [Auto] (MemSet: 4)
      Rank Write to READ Delay________ [Auto] (MemSet: 12)
      Write to Precharge Delay_________ [Auto] (MemSet: 16)
      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ [Auto] (MemSet: 64)
      Read to Precharge Delay__________ [Auto] (MemSet: 6)
      Static tRead Value_______________ [Auto] (MemSet Performance Level?: 7)
      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] (?)

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.35]

CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Disabled]
      Virtualization Technology................: [NA]

Quite conservative settings all aound, I think... My ram is rated at 5-5-5-15 @ 1000 MHz, 2.0-2.1V.

I'd like to get some of these numbers up a bit, and some down a bit, obviously... Even at these settings, I am right now running at 38C on both cores. (Nothing running in background, just Opera, CPU-Z, SpeedFan, and MemSet.)

I've got my HSF set to full all the time, Speedfan and CoreTemp agree on my temps...I'm at abit of a loss, here.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Comment

Na, I just think too much paste was maybe causing your heat issues. Voltages are likely high because you increased them to try to be stable because of other settings being off making it fail. So I dont think you need so much voltages, but ya never know all chips are different.

I do think you should redo the paste though. What method do you use? Post a pic if you want with some example of how much you used last time and I will see if it looks excessive. Of course you do not need to example this out with actual paste, maybe some mustard? HAHA

Good to know. I was getting some mch related errors in memtest and thought maybe it was overheating. The temps I posted are idle BTW. Under Orthos' bland test i have seen them hit 50s with less than 400FSB. (NEVER been able to get into windows on a 400 FSB, no matter how low everything else is set...)
        MCH errors in Memtest? What do you mean? Memtest only tests the ram, if you have errors it is in the ram. Yes the NB does affect ram, just sounded funny how you said MCH errors in memtest.

I always redo my paste under my NB's before I even turn a board on, Often the factory uses far to much, or far too little, but that is all up to you. If you do redo it please use NON conductive paste. On my P35 My norm Idle was 32-36 and full load for several hours at 450FSb would be 36-40. 50 is getting pretty hot, especially under 400 FSB, so maybe you should at least add a fan over the NB

Please do not, if you are, try using 400 FSB exactly. Use a little above or below, like 397 or 403 or so. And also you should be trying things at higher FSB with everything else set High, not low as you said.

I Posted a "How to" reply for you on the Qflash guide, hope that helps with your flash issue.

I would suggest you manually set all of this >>>>

obust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
        CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
        Fine Clock Ratio ____________[NA]
        CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [300]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.33]

^^ You may want to test out CPU freq 333 (3Ghz), and Memory Multi 3.0 for 1000 Mhz ram speed, the increased FSB to get to the 333 Strap may help you out a bit

Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15/18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
        Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6
        Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6-8
        Refresh to ACT Delay______________ (48-50) 52-62 << Likely 52 -54 would work fine
        Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
        Static tRead Value_______________ 8-10 << Try 8 for now, 7 may not work well at 1000Mhz
        Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << Always leave

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] << you need +0.2 - 0.25 -0.3 for 2x2GB
        CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.35]

CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Disabled]
        Virtualization Technology................: [NA]

Integrated Peripherals
        Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

The above for now, is just to disable to see if it is causing you overclock issues, it often causes random problems and just want to sort it out now to see if it is or not. So if it is not part of your issue you think, then you can reanable it.

Comment

I suppose I could've used too much paste... I may post a pic of how I applied it later if I got some time to kill. I will probably get around to re-doing the paste today, but I am trying to avoid it until I have dealt with this voltage issue. Also, I have a 65nm L2 rev chip, if that makes any difference.

The mch error I referred to was a MCH_CHK Error, which halted memtest and required a reboot. This could be completely unrelated to the mch and stand for something else entirely, I know. At this point I'm not above grasping at straws to rule out possible causes.

As far as re-doing thermal paste under the NB, I may try that when I re-do the HSF. I still have some Vantec non-conductive (which is under my cpu HSF now) that I could use. I just hope it's not a huge pain to remove the giant hs from the nb. It's one o those really wide ones...

Also, I already DID put a fan on it. It is a 6800 rpm 50mm-ish thing. I think I had bought it for my old Radeon way back when... Hasn't really seemed to help a whole lot though for some reason. I know it pushes air, cuz I plugged it in to check it out before I superglued it down.

Please do not, if you are, try using 400 FSB exactly. Use a little above or below, like 397 or 403 or so. And also you should be trying things at higher FSB with everything else set High, not low as you said.
          Yes, sorry. When I said "low", I meant "relaxed" "conservative" "non-aggressive". That was poorly worded. The actual numbers were "high."

These are the memory settings I was testing my high FSB with:

Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 6
          Rank Write to READ Delay________ 12
          Write to Precharge Delay_________ 14
          Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 64
          Read to Precharge Delay__________ 8
          Static tRead Value_______________ 10
          Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

I would suggest you manually set all of this >>>>
          The settings you posted all work fine. This is pretty much where i had it when I posted. The thing is, to get above this CPU-wise, I seem to have to add copious amounts of juice to get it stable.

I would like to push the FSB higher, and get the CPU up a bit also. I figured I'd try for 400FSB, 9x multi, just because my mobo is supposed to support this, and I've read about people getting 3.6GHz outta their e4400's.

With all the headaches I've had, I would be happy to get this thing running stable at 333FSB with a 10x multiplier, but so far I can't do even that. I have got it going at 333X9, but only by jacking the volts to 1.425. I really don't like running it that high day to day.

If you (or anyone else, of course) could help me get to 333X10, I would be most grateful. Thanks.

Comment

[UPDATES]

So, at your above sugested settings, if I change the multiplier to 10 instead of 9, and NOTHING ELSE, I have to raise the voltage to 1.3875 to get it to keep the BIOS settings and get into Windows. However, I get slapped with a Machine Check Exception BSOD as soon as I start orthos.

I reseated the HSF with some Arctic Silver 5 per the company's instructions: one thin line along the center in-line with cores. Seeing a bit of difference already: 3-6C cooler under load, though there is alot more fluctuation in temps, which I suspect will mellow ouyt as the paste cures.

I also removed the NB heatsink and used some Vantec non-conductive thermal paste under it, which seems to have helped quite a bit so far. My new load temps for the NB/MCH are closer to my old idle temps.

Bit nerve-racking all-in-all. Not for the faint of heart. Every time I apply thermal paste and mount a HSF, I end up swearing a lot... The NB HS OEM thermal paste was hardened and seemed to act as a kind of adhesive: when I re-mounted the HS, it wound up being quite "wiggly." This worries me a bit; should it?

I'm running Orthos as I type this, and at 2.7GHz, (300x9), my temps are 50-54C on the CPU and 40-41C on the FSB. Better for sure, but this still doesn't solve the issue of my CPU seeming to be voltage-hungry. That'll have to be a problem for tomorrow. Thanks again.
            Last edited by Cannibeast; 10-06-2008, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannibeast View Post
              Also, I have a 65nm L2 rev chip, if that makes any difference.

The mch error I referred to was a MCH_CHK Error, which halted memtest and required a reboot. This could be completely unrelated to the mch and stand for something else entirely, I know. At this point I'm not above grasping at straws to rule out possible causes.

Yes, sorry. When I said "low", I meant "relaxed" "conservative" "non-aggressive". That was poorly worded. The actual numbers were "high."

The settings you posted all work fine. This is pretty much where i had it when I posted. The thing is, to get above this CPU-wise, I seem to have to add copious amounts of juice to get it stable.

I would like to push the FSB higher, and get the CPU up a bit also. I figured I'd try for 400FSB, 9x multi, just because my mobo is supposed to support this, and I've read about people getting 3.6GHz outta their e4400's.

With all the headaches I've had, I would be happy to get this thing running stable at 333FSB with a 10x multiplier, but so far I can't do even that. I have got it going at 333X9, but only by jacking the volts to 1.425. I really don't like running it that high day to day.

If you (or anyone else, of course) could help me get to 333X10, I would be most grateful. Thanks.
              Ya, 65nm Takes alot more volts then 45nm, so keep that in mind. 1.45 or more actual to get them close to a max overclock is normal

Hmm, never saw that error myself, I guess it is MCH since you put it that way Guess you learn something new everyday. It could be a glitch I guess or you maybe need to add or subtract some MCH voltage depending on what you are using

When you say 1.45 is this in the BIOS or actual? If it is in the BIOS, you can set more as there is vdroop and vdrop

Originally posted by Cannibeast View Post
              [UPDATES]

So, at your above sugested settings, if I change the multiplier to 10 instead of 9, and NOTHING ELSE, I have to raise the voltage to 1.3875 to get it to keep the BIOS settings and get into Windows. However, I get slapped with a Machine Check Exception BSOD as soon as I start orthos.

I reseated the HSF with some Arctic Silver 5 per the company's instructions: one thin line along the center in-line with cores. Seeing a bit of difference already: 3-6C cooler under load, though there is alot more fluctuation in temps, which I suspect will mellow ouyt as the paste cures.

I also removed the NB heatsink and used some Vantec non-conductive thermal paste under it, which seems to have helped quite a bit so far. My new load temps for the NB/MCH are closer to my old idle temps.

Bit nerve-racking all-in-all. Not for the faint of heart. Every time I apply thermal paste and mount a HSF, I end up swearing a lot... The NB HS OEM thermal paste was hardened and seemed to act as a kind of adhesive: when I re-mounted the HS, it wound up being quite "wiggly." This worries me a bit; should it?

I'm running Orthos as I type this, and at 2.7GHz, (300x9), my temps are 50-54C on the CPU and 40-41C on the FSB. Better for sure, but this still doesn't solve the issue of my CPU seeming to be voltage-hungry. That'll have to be a problem for tomorrow. Thanks again.

Could just need alot at 3.6, maybe you should try for 3.5 stable. Some chips are voltage hungry that is for sure

Post what settings you are trying with that 10 multi and I will see if I can help you get the voltages better so you can boot fully

Your NB should be kinda loose, not as tight as your CPU fan for sure. Since it is a Bare chip under there you will crack it if it is too tight, that is why the "Sponge" type square is around it under the heatsink.

Ya, they do paste that Cement on there at the factory, that is why I always redo mine

Temps are looking better for sure! Glad to see you are getting somewhere.

So we will have to work on your settings, or get you convinced that 3.6 is too much to ask of your CPU. Many chips are different as you know, and some people who get XX freq may be on water and not mention it

Comment

Ya, 65nm Takes alot more volts then 45nm, so keep that in mind. 1.45 or more actual to get them close to a max overclock is normal
                That's what I figured. I just didn't count on needing that much (or more) to get what I feel is a pretty far from max OC. I.e.: 3.0GHz, or 300X10.

When you say 1.45 is this in the BIOS or actual? If it is in the BIOS, you can set more as there is vdroop and vdrop
                All voltages I list are as they are set in the BIOS. There seems to be a lot of droop and drop with my board... IIRC, 1.45 BIOS vcore = 1.38 or so in CPU-Z. The problem is, it still runs pretty warm with that voltage, and actually requires quite a bit MORE than that to get above 3GHz.

So we will have to work on your settings, or get you convinced that 3.6 is too much to ask of your CPU. Many chips are different as you know, and some people who get XX freq may be on water and not mention it
                At this point, I'm thinking 3.6 is my unicorn with this chip. I would be quite happy with 3.33 or 333X10. That's a nice OC, and it'll let me run my ram at it's rated 1000MHz also. I think this should be do-able with my hardware. I just can't seem to get the settings where they need to be to be stable.

Comment

Well it is not a Big overclocking chip, so your max idea may be far from what is the actual "Norm" overclock for that chip. I rarely see anyone using it, so I assume it is a budget chip..... So you may just have to settle for what you can get out of it. Please do not overvolt and kill it trying to reach a stable point

What FSB and MCH voltage are you using? 1.38 + does seem like alot you are right for 3Ghz, but for a with that being a whole Ghz overclock you can likely expect it.

If you do want help with 3.33 post up your full settings that fail for you and I will try to help you get stable

Comment

Man, you gotta be the hardest working dude in these forums. I see your name all over the place! Appreciated.

Anyway, I know it mayn't be the BEST OCing chip, but I know I WAS running 300 X 10 for a good few months until just recently. I think the problem arose when I swapped out my 2X1GB HyperX for my 2X2GB G.SKILL ram. I don't know HOW this could've f-ed me, except that before this, I was leaving voltage settings on auto; so the board MAY have been running the cpu at extreeeme voltages back then. (But I really think I would've noticed that much of an over-voltage. My temps certainly didn't seem to reflect it.)

333X10 would be sweet, but I'm beginning to lose hope that that will happen, and yes, 1.33Ghz is quite a large OC . So, at this point I suppose I would be happy just to get back to 3Ghz; but I'd like to do it at 333 X 9, just to squeeze a wee bit more from my bus, which is rated for 1333, up to 1600 OC'd.

Here's what I'm running into:
                    First, I wanted to eliminate my ram from the equation, so I tested with these settings:

CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [See below]
                    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
                    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
                    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.3V]
                    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V]
                    CPU Voltage Control_______ [See below]

With a Clock ratio of 9 (3.0Ghz):
                    1.325v CPU = 3 reboot cycle BIOS reset to defaults
                    1.35v = Freeze on GRUB, then BIOS reset cycle on reboot
                    1.3625 = Freeze on Windows startup, then BIOS reset cycle on reboot
                    1.375 = BSOD: Machine_Check_Exception on Windows startup
                    1.4 = Windows starts, Machine_Check_Exception BSOD 10sec or so into Orthos
                    1.425 = Success! Windows loads, Idle CPU temp=40C, Orthos stable, load temps = 60C CPU, 48C northbridge/MCH (I'm a lil too chicken to run at this voltage 24/7)

With a Clock ratio of 10 (3.33Ghz):
                    1.325-1.475v = 3 reboot cycle BIOS reset to defaults
                    1.5v = blank screen;then after manual reboot: freeze on AHCI BIOS loading, wouldn't post after that, had to clear CMOS

I am hoping maybe you could suggest something that would allow a stable 333X9 OC, without jacking the cpu voltage to 1.425... Should I throw another .1v at the FSB? THat would bring it up to +.2v. I really don't know. Getting tired now. If what you see here tells you I am SOL as far as 333X9, or 333X10; perhaps you could recommend some nice settings for 300X10? I have devoted all my available time lately to testing 333 FSB cuz I really think it is do-able.

Thanks.

Comment

Appreciate the kind words!

Try .15 MCH and .2 with the below suggestion

And then all of the above again, except go in and manually set Refresh to act delay to 56, and set Static Tread to 9 or 10 and see if you get in any better with less volts
                      And yes you could test another .1 to the FSB

Not really sure what else you could do other then the voltage you had going of 1.425, those are decent load temps you had. NB could use a fan on it though

Comment

Yeah I guess the temps aren't really that bad. I was just a lil worried bout a full-time +.1v because it does raise my idle temps quite a bit. But then, the Arctic Silver I applied a couple days ago hasn't even had time to set up yet, so I think I'll be alright. Really, this cpu just has to get me by until I upgrade to Nehalem sometime next year (hopefully).

I had a fan on my NB untill I just redid the thermal paste on it, but I'd rather not put it back on if possible. It is a little 50mm thing that runs at 6800 RPM! It is easily the loudest fan in my system, even besting my 8800GTS @ 60% fanspeed for sheer high pitched whine. If you think 48C load on my NB is gonna kill my mobo, though, then I will bust out the superglue and put it back in.

Well, it's been a lot of fun (and a lil frustrating) pushing my system to see what it can do. I think I'm gonna live (and be happy) with 3.33Ghz, as it seems to be the limit of my stability, and is a 66% OC! Not bad for my first OC build attempt. Now, on to solving my lil BIOS update problem....

Comment

the Nehalem series should be out Q1-3 next year... but they'll be real expensive and you'll need a new mobo as well... but it should be a great processor by the sounds of it... integrated memory controller should help get rid of that bottleneck

Comment

Yes, from the early (p)reviews I've seen, it's set to blow pretty much every current cpu away, performance-wise. Lil concerned about the price, but when I finally do make the jump from dual to quad core i wanna do it right! And maybe, just maybe, DDR3 will be at a good price:performance ratio by the time I can afford one o them Nehalems, (and a decent mobo). (This is already starting to sound pricey....) But then, I got the board I got now so that I can get DDR3 when it's worth it, then upgrade to quadcore later an keep the ram.

Comment

Hi all,

I am sorry to necro this threat but I got myself a E4400 and I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 V2 with F12 bios.

I can change voltages, multiplier but whenever i change the FSB 1 up or even down it stops booting up.

Anyone know whats going on here?

I tried different memory multipliers as well so its not the memory, as far as i know.

I ebayed this E4400 as I had a Pentium D and a ATI 4890 so am higly bottlnecked by the CPU so I thought I'd buy this one and yank it up to around 3g but its not even letting me change any FSB settings.

Its still faster then my 3 Gig Pentium D 925 though but it still bottlnecks my VGA card.
                              Last edited by Tsunami�; 12-24-2009, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X