Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte P35-DSR (rev 1.1) BIOS update has killed it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte P35-DSR (rev 1.1) BIOS update has killed it!

Hi,

After a support company for a 3rd piece of software told me to update my BIOS I did just that for my Gigabyte P35-DSR (rev 1.1) motherboard. I upgraded to the latest stable version (F11) using the windows upgrade utility. However when I rebooted the computer just hangs now at the DOS post screen. Why did this happen? I ensured it was the correct revision and model..?

I did back-up the original bios, but its within "my documents", I didnt save to a key or anything doh!

How can I fix this? Any help would be appreciated...

Re: Gigabyte P35-DSR (rev 1.1) BIOS update has killed it!

Since you used the Windows update utility, you might want to read this thread to see if any of it looks familiar to your situation.

Gigabyte P35-S3G . 50mm Fan on MCH +0.2v
    Intel E6500 (9 x 420) 3780mHz 1.33125v
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Gigabyte HD4850 . Acer X223W . Acer X193W+
    Rosewill
    RP500-2 . WD WD3200AAJS . Masscool 8WA741

Comment

In addition to jfk&g comments, has your setup a floppy drive that was setup as the first boot drive?

What is the exact status of your PC now? Do you get any error messages at all, or just a blank screen etc?
      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by jfk&g View Post
        Since you used the Windows update utility, you might want to read this thread to see if any of it looks familiar to your situation.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/im-a...my-bios-26905/
        Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

No it doesn't seem to be the same error, just the same outcome (@BIOS has broken my PC). :(

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
          In addition to jfk&g comments, has your setup a floppy drive that was setup as the first boot drive?

What is the exact status of your PC now? Do you get any error messages at all, or just a blank screen etc?
          Hi,

Thanks for the reply. :)

No the machine in question only had a CD drive, no floppy.

When starting it shows the Gigabyte flash screen, then hangs after assigning the IRQ's etc (i.e. the hard drives et al). No error messages, just hang. CTRL+ALT+DEL also has no effect it has to be a hardware reboot.

Does this motherboard have dual bios? Any other help, its very fustrating. :(

Comment

This is recommended reading..

Flashing your bios in a windows enviroment (ie multi tasking) is not recommended - even though there is a utility available to do such!
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Did you / Can you reboot into BIOS, then Load Optimized defaults, then Save & Exit?

Be sure to read in VorLonUK's link about RAID, if that applies to your setup.
              Last edited by jfk&g; 10-13-2008, 10:48 AM.
              Gigabyte P35-S3G . 50mm Fan on MCH +0.2v
              Intel E6500 (9 x 420) 3780mHz 1.33125v
              G.Skill 4x1GB
              PC2-6400-NQ
              840mHz +0.2v
              Gigabyte HD4850 . Acer X223W . Acer X193W+
              Rosewill
              RP500-2 . WD WD3200AAJS . Masscool 8WA741

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
                This is recommended reading..

Flashing your bios in a windows enviroment (ie multi tasking) is not recommended - even though there is a utility available to do such!
                Well its a bit crazy that they offer a utility that isn't stable - surely it makes more work?! :

I will have a read of that - thanks.

So is there no way I can re-flash the bios with a clean working bios? Or recover my old bios?

Thanks

Comment

@BIOS is something to Never use. Your BIOS udpate would be fine, had you not used that. Just letting you know this so you will not be afraid to flash later on

Well since you can get the IRQ screen to show, it makes me think you can still get into the BIOS right? If so go in there and hit F8 for Qflash and then flash with a NEW BIOS file, you will need it on A USB Stick. You may also get to Qflash by pressing the "END" key at bootup where you would normally hit "DEL" to get into the BIOS.

If you cannot do any of that, Please see if a Clear CMOS will help. How to do that is outlined in the above posted link, in post #2 >>>

Comment

Hi,

Yes I can get into QFlash and I have a USB key. :)

Do you think I should try and use version F11 again (latest stable version)?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dance View Post
                      Hi,

Yes I can get into QFlash and I have a USB key. :)

Do you think I should try and use version F11 again (latest stable version)?

Thanks
                      Yes, that should be fine.

Comment

GREAT to hear!

Yes, I would use the latest stable version, be sure you pick the correct BIOS version for your board model and Revision #. If you are not sure of the Revision # please read the guide over again, or ask me before you flash and I will explain it further/again to you on how to check. I say this again because of how you titled this post, there is no DSR models. There is EP35-DS3R, and P35-DS3R, so be SURE You pick the correct model, and revision. >>>
                        GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Products

Comment

So.....

All went ok I take it?

Comment

Working...
                          X