Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which version of PCI-Express?

Hi!

I have an GA-P35C-DS3R, do you know which version of PCI-E it's using?

Re: Which version of PCI-Express?

PCI-E 1.1 And yes you can use a 2.0 card in it

Comment

Haha...yeah, that was my other question! But will a 2.0 compatible graphics card work faster on a PCI-E 2.0 than PCI-E 1.1?

Comment

well it will work, but not at its' best.
        but PCI-E X16 2.0 hasnt this significant difference in performance i would wonna see, especially in mid-low end cards, u will see bigger difference in high end cards, though they still dont use the 2.0 as u normally think after such an upgrade.

Comment

You're not going to see any difference in PCI-E 2.0. This is one of the reasons I did not rush getting a P45 board.

Comment

The only issue I remember was with PCI-e V1.0/a Motherboard x16 slot and PCI-e V2.0 Graphics cards, but that didn't apply to all of them. It was dependant on how forward thinking the Motherboard manufacturer had been.

However, as said above Revision 1.1 Motherboards appear to be fine with Revision 2.0 Graphics cards.
            I know my GA-P35C-DS3R is happy with my 8800GTS (g92) which is PCI-e V2.0

I think it was tomshardware that did a review, where they deliberately reduced the bandwidth (which Version 2.0 doubles) and it did have some impact on high level cards. I'll look for the review and then add the link.
            Worth the full read imo:-
            How much bandwidth do today’s graphics cards really need? We looked at mainstream and enthusiast PCI Express 2.0 cards and compared performance at PCIe 2.0 x16, x8, x4 and x1 rates using popular games and benchmarks.

Biggest difference on MS Flight Simulator:-
            Last edited by VorLonUK; 10-29-2008, 06:05 PM.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Working...
            X