Gigabyte hd 4870x2 video card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte hd 4870x2 video card

In a couple other threads i did explained my problem with my computer so in short:

Can you recommend me what power supply to use to be able to use 2 of those video cards please.

Fortron everest 1010w doesn't work and only supplies 12A on the 12v connectors(altho it should supply 20A) and that's not enough for this card. And yes i did try 3 of those power supplies and they don't work altho they are listed on the ati site as a sertified product for this video card.

I was told to use Galaxy or Corsair , are they any good ?

Re: Gigabyte hd 4870x2 video card

Using your own suggestion try this Corsair PSU.
    Anyway, try to google any good 50A single rail 12V like this one - they will do the job.
    Last edited by svcglobal; 10-29-2008, 09:55 AM. Reason: added another link example
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

WOW a 1010W PSU with 12A on the rail, what a waste.

Yes, please try to pick a quality Single Rail PSU and you will have Much better luck. PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, ABS, and Corsair all make good PSU's. There is others, but just do not skimp on quality.

Other thoughts? 1000W is likely not needed for your setup, not sure what all you have but generally 5-600 -750 is plenty for most all setups. And a Single Rail PSU with a large 12V rail is better then one with Split Rails, that was all Hype for those types then they came out and it has been since proven to not be best

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        WOW a 1010W PSU with 12A on the rail, what a waste.

Yes, please try to pick a quality Single Rail PSU and you will have Much better luck. PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, ABS, and Corsair all make good PSU's. There is others, but just do not skimp on quality.

Other thoughts? 1000W is likely not needed for your setup, not sure what all you have but generally 5-600 -750 is plenty for most all setups. And a Single Rail PSU with a large 12V rail is better then one with Split Rails, that was all Hype for those types then they came out and it has been since proven to not be best
        I was told the same about the split power supply. Fortron are supposed to be a good psu maker , and i had used their psu's before and haven't had a problem until now. Probably their 1000w supply is not as good as the others. Anyways the setup will go on crossfire with two of those video cards that's why i need 1000w power. I am gonna take the corsair 1000w version. It also costs the same as the fortron one with a 10 usd difference.

Comment

I have not heard much about the brand myself, but 1000W PSU should have WAY more on the 12V rails! My 550 has 28 and my 750 has 55

1000W power is not needed so much as proper 12V rails for sure. You can use a 600-750 and likely have ZERO issues as long as you have one with enough Amps on the 12V fro both cards and your system

1000W PSU's are overrated I think, Well at least for sure not needed in any system I see being used and I see alot of them

If you can find a 750-800 you like for cheaper (Of course) get it, you will be fine for sure as long as you get a strong single rail

Ohh Scratch that! Here I found your card specs and it does need 1000W for 2 of those! >>>

650 Watt or greater power supply with one 2x3-pin PCIeR power connector and one 2x4 PCIeR power connector is required (1K Watt with two 2x3-pin and two 2x4-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

Certified For one 4870X2 >>>
          ATI CrossFireXâ„¢ | GAME.AMD.COM

If this is the PSU you meant it may be ok as it has 80a Total for 12V Rail, but it still is Dual rails >>>
          Welcome to Corsair :: HX1000 Power Supply Product Information

But it should be fine for sure, WAY better then 12A on a 1000W 12V rail of the fortron

Comment

A Corsair CMPSU-750TX will get the job done regardless what ATI or anandtech thinks
            ATI wants to be on the safe side just because lots of PSUs dont deliver what they promise.

but it may not be quiet since you will use up to 700 watts while playing
            (edit thats 700w out from the PSU not from the socket 800-900w from the socket)

CMPSU-750TX can deliver 900w or more for extended periods of time according to tests
            but If you can afford two hd4870x2 im sure you can afford a 1000w psu just to be on the safe side.
            Last edited by skyscraper; 10-30-2008, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              I have not heard much about the brand myself, but 1000W PSU should have WAY more on the 12V rails! My 550 has 28 and my 750 has 55

1000W power is not needed so much as proper 12V rails for sure. You can use a 600-750 and likely have ZERO issues as long as you have one with enough Amps on the 12V fro both cards and your system

1000W PSU's are overrated I think, Well at least for sure not needed in any system I see being used and I see alot of them

If you can find a 750-800 you like for cheaper (Of course) get it, you will be fine for sure as long as you get a strong single rail

Ohh Scratch that! Here I found your card specs and it does need 1000W for 2 of those! >>>

650 Watt or greater power supply with one 2x3-pin PCIeR power connector and one 2x4 PCIeR power connector is required (1K Watt with two 2x3-pin and two 2x4-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

Certified For one 4870X2 >>>
              ATI CrossFireXâ„¢ | GAME.AMD.COM

If this is the PSU you meant it may be ok as it has 80a Total for 12V Rail, but it still is Dual rails >>>
              Welcome to Corsair :: HX1000 Power Supply Product Information

But it should be fine for sure, WAY better then 12A on a 1000W 12V rail of the fortron
              Yes it's FPS Everest 1010w. It is supposed to deliver 4x 20A on the 12v rail. But all 3 that they had in the store and we tested them were giving 12A on all 12v connectors. And yes u need 1000w on for this card on crossfire , the simple maths is cpu's max load is : 340w , one video card max load is 440w. Now u can't have all those at max load all the time , therefore a good 1000w power supply should be sufficient but imo less then 1000w you are pretty screwed with this crossfire setup. The fortron setup is supposed to go with double connectors in to the card 2x20A , but since it delivers only 2x12 =24A = 240w , which is pretty low for this card.

I will try the corsair 1000w psu and see how it goes , it's supposed to arrive today or latest tomorrow according to the shop.

Comment

Show me a CPU that needs 340w at max load
                440w x2 +340w = 1220w
                ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 - AMD Back On Top - HotHardware
                these numbers are from the socket so their system is using a bit over 650w

I think it will work perfectly with the corsair 1000w psu
                And if it doesnt its only because of the dual rails

Comment

Originally posted by skyscraper View Post
                  Show me a CPU that needs 340w at max load
                  440w x2 +340w = 1220w
                  ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 - AMD Back On Top - HotHardware
                  these numbers are from the socket so their system is using a bit over 650w

I think it will work perfectly with the corsair 1000w psu
                  And if it doesnt its only because of the dual rails
                  q9650 , and according to that post u linked only the 2 4870x2 are using 830w
                  the cpu uses 330-340 according to diff sites :)

Comment

I suggest you read the numbers again The 830w is for the whole system from the power outlet

"We'd like to cover a few final data points before bringing this article to a close. Throughout all of our benchmarking and testing, we monitored how much power our test systems were consuming using a power meter. Our goal was to give you all an idea as to how much power each configuration used while idling and under a heavy workload. Please keep in mind that we were testing total system power consumption at the outlet here, not just the power being drawn by the motherboards alone."

the 650w comes from 830*~0,80 to get what the power supply is providing the system with

and when it comes to the CPU you have misunderstood something... no intel CPU will break 250w unless cooled by dry ice?
                    My guess is that a quad at lets say 3200 mhz wont use more than ~160w
                    the motherboard may use another 30w or so

You better hope im right otherwise the 40+40 amps on your new PSU wont take you far ;)
                    Be sure to have both rails connected to both cards since one of the rails will have to feed the rest of the system with power aswell so I think its best that the cards share the rails
                    Last edited by skyscraper; 10-30-2008, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skyscraper View Post
                      I suggest you read the numbers again The 830w is for the whole system from the power outlet

"We'd like to cover a few final data points before bringing this article to a close. Throughout all of our benchmarking and testing, we monitored how much power our test systems were consuming using a power meter. Our goal was to give you all an idea as to how much power each configuration used while idling and under a heavy workload. Please keep in mind that we were testing total system power consumption at the outlet here, not just the power being drawn by the motherboards alone."

the 650w comes from 830*~0,80 to get what the power supply is providing the system with

and when it comes to the CPU you have misunderstood something... no intel CPU will break 250w unless cooled by dry ice?
                      My guess is that a quad at lets say 3200 mhz wont use more than ~160w
                      the motherboard may use another 30w or so

You better hope im right otherwise the 40+40 amps on your new PSU wont take you far ;)
                      Be sure to have both rails connected to both cards since one of the rails will have to feed the rest of the system with power aswell so I think its best that the cards share the rails
                      Thank you for the feedback. I did indeed misread and what you said is correct. Cheers

Comment

I can filll in with that im benching/stability testing my c2d e8600 right now at 4.0 ghz with 4g ram, 2 disks, a audigy2 card, a 3com network card and a hd4870

100% CPU load on both cores and 100% load on the hd4870

My energymeter is showing 260w at the power outlet
                        So thats ~210-220w out from the PSU

Not at all as powerhungry as your system will be, but still.

Comment

Working...
                        X