New User / Advice on New Gaming PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User / Advice on New Gaming PC

Hello TweakTown Forums! I found your wonderful site today and figure this seems like a good place to frequent since I am just starting on my first computer building experience!

I hope (i checked a bit but wasnt sure) I am not spamming by posting this here but just really don't know where else to ask!

The computer I am building is as follows.

Mother Board : EVGA nForce 750sli
    Processor : Core2Quad 6600 @ 2.44ghz
    Ram : 2gig OCZ Sli ready edition, pc6400 ddr2 800mhz DC
    GFX Card : EVGA nVidia 9800 GTX (512mb)
    HDD : Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 500gb
    Power Supply : Ultra LSP750 (750watt psu)

I was just wondering if this will run L4D @ at a decent rate, and be a competitive gaming unit for the next 3 or 4 years.

Also, since this is my first build what other tools/items would I need? I know I need a CPU fan (currently searching google/tiger direct for suggestiions) but not really sure about anything else. I have a tower already etc etc....

Thanks in advance and also Hello!,
    SG420

Re: New User / Advice on New Gaming PC

Nforce 750I SLI will be outdated very soon, try to get a latest chipset frmo nvidia if u decide to go the SLI route, such as a 780I or 790I if ur budget can extend that far.

ATM a fast dual core wolfdale will be better than the Q6600 in gaming, e.g E8500.

Ram looks good, no problems.

The graphics card doesnt look bad, though ur gona need to replace sooner since its already pretty old by now.

If u dun plan to OC ur cpu, then obviously the stock heatsink is the way to go, or if u just wana show off OR OC ur cpu then buy a better heatsink.

For HDD, 500GB looks ok, though u gota tink about if its gona b enuf for the next 3-4 years. Most ppl nowadays get 750-1000GB.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Comment

Thanks, although I went ahead and ordered the 750i setup because it about what I can afford to spend. :D
      As for what you've told me it seems I may be able to use this setup for a while but may need to plan for some substantial upgrades if I plan to keep this up to date. It didn't come with a any sort of cpu fan so I ordered this Masscool Fan. Masscool 8W501B1M3G Socket 775 Intel Prescott Copper Core CPU Cooling Fan at TigerDirect.com

Comment

500GB space isnt even close. get 5TB (5000GB) should be enough =] change motherboard, and graphics card.
        OCZ AGILITY3 SSD 120GB
        AMD Phenom II x6 2.8Ghz OC to 3.5Ghz
        Antec 1200 gaming case
        Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H
        750 Watt TruePower Power Supply
        8GB DDR3 1666Mhz memory
        Logitech G9 gaming mouse
        Logitech G19 gaming keyboard
        Gigabyte HD5830 1GB GDDR5
        Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio

Comment

My current system has an AMD 4200+ processor and I have 2 GB DDR2, and my graphics is a 9800GTS. I play Left 4 Dead at 1680 x 1050 with 4x AA and high settings with no problems. Not sure what my framerates are but it's smooth so it must be at least 30. Even in the busy horde areas with a lot going on, I don't see any slowdowns. You should be alright with that combination.

Now, if you plan on being able to play games that come out in the next 2 - 3 years, yeah, you might run into some problems, but for a budget build that will play L4D and other titles without too many problems, that combination should be ok. And as far as Hard drive space, I have two 80 GB drives in a RAID for total of 160 GB and it's plenty for me. People that need 1 to 5 Terabytes of drive space are the people that store full length movies on their drive and every copy of every bit of software they have. That's what DVDs are for.

Comment

in my point of view it run L4d at comfortable rate and if you have make it more better to stay on 4 or 3 years good gaming competative you can also increase ram that will do more better than from normal speed or you can use graphics card of one gb it will become more and more good for long time period although this is my point of view i dont know what others

thanks
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-09-2010, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X