first time user with ep45 ds3l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time user with ep45 ds3l

hey guys this is my first time building a comp and im gonna get the parts tomorrow. i know how to build the comps but im sort of iffy on setting up the bios and installing vista 64bit. so after i power up my new comp should i update the bios first and then install vista? if so how would i go about doing that. i understand how to use q flash with the floppy drive do i start up the comp with the floppy in? and then after i update the bios do i need to set the voltage and timings of the ram to the specs of the memory? or should i do that after i install vista. and when installing vista i have to set the first priority to the dvd drive right? oh yea and after you flash and then it restarts and then you go back into the bios. and should load fail safe defaults like the qflash pdf manul says? or load optimized defaults
    Last edited by wutsup; 11-06-2008, 01:43 AM. Reason: add more info

Re: first time user with ep45 ds3l

No, you would put the floppy in once you are inside Qflash.

After you flash load optimized defaults then set voltage only, then save and reboot to make all other changes. You will have to set your disk changes again so dont forget them

You can set Floppy as your first boot device (Recommended incase you need to blind flash later) and set OS disk as second boot device and CD as third

Just use F12 to boot from CD

Comment

oh ok thanks for replying. so let me get this straight

1st after i power up my new comp go to bios by psuhing delete.
      then i enter q flash and update with floppy (do i extract all three files that come with the bios update) once done i exit and it should reboot automatically
      then i enter the bios again and load optimized defaults instead of load fail safe defaults?
      then i set the ram voltage to 2.1v in my case (ocz 2x2gb ram 1066mhz) instead of the default 1.8v
      then i set the disk changes to floppy, then harddrive, then dvd drive
      then i can install vista by using the f12 key.

let me know if this is right or wrong thanks in advance

Comment

ok i finished building my comp, when i go into bios and enter qflash when i try to update it says invalid master boot record or something. and i have a q6600 kentsfield which is suppose to run at 2.4gz but its only running at 1.8? and its only multiplied x7. and i got a calculator and multiplied the number by 9 and it came out to be 2.4ghz. and the memory shows 4 gb but only at 800mhz when its suppose to be 1066mhz. i know it could be fixed after the update to f9 but i cant do that because of an invalid master boot record. help please

Comment

bump

Comment

could it not work because its from an external floppy drive connected to a usb port

Comment

Ya, you need to use a USb stick then. Just put the BIOS file onto a USB stick and go into Qflash from the BIOS using F8 on the MAIN page of the BIOS.

The only file you need on the USB stick is the BIOS file (biosfilename.fxx)

See here if you are unsure, and you do not need to use the "Bootable USB Method" that is for people who have issues with certain USB Sticks >>>
              http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

As for your CPU Speed, you need to disable Speestep (C1E and EIST)

Comment

oh so i dont even need to format the usb drive? just put in the bios.fxx file? i tried to format my 256mb usb drive but the link to the boot files was old. and i couldnt find it any where else.

Comment

No, not really. Most all USB drives are already formatted to FAT32.

Yeap, just put the bios.fxx file on there and enter Qflash

USB boot files old? Do I need to rehost links on that page or what? Let me know, but yeah anyway you do not need a bootable USB Stick at all I just posted that as there is a Few USB Sticks that have issues.

Be sure you leave the USB Stick in when you reboot and have Legacy USB Storage Detect Enaabled and go in the BIOS and press F8

Comment

ok so here is what i have to do and correct me if im wrong

1. download ep45 ds3l f9 bios
                    2. extract only the biosname.fxx into usb drive
                    3. plug in usb drive.
                    4.restart comp and then enter bios
                    5.enable legacy storage detect.
                    6. go into qflash
                    7.load optimized defaults afterflashing new bios

Comment

Yeap, but if Legacy USB Storage detect is disabled you will need to reboot again before you go into Qflash

All good, after you load optimized set your ram voltage and reboot back to the bios and set your SATA and boot order settings then anything else you want to do and you will be all good

Comment

do i still have to follow the instructions with typing in flashsp1.exe and ep45ds3l.exe in the command thing? and its ok that i installed vista first right?
                        and can you give me like specific step by step instructions. lol.....sorry but this is my first tim flashing and i want to get it right and not kill the mobo
                        Last edited by wutsup; 11-07-2008, 03:36 AM.

Comment

No, all that is for DOS flashing with Floppy

Qflash is a GUI interface you will browse to your USB as shown in that guides images and select your BIOS file and flash

Very simple

Comment

i cant find the legacy usb storage detect in the bios where exactly is it?

nevermid found it its already enabled so iguess i just have to do it and ill tell you how it goes.
                            Last edited by wutsup; 11-07-2008, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Integrated Peripherals.

Good luck, you can do it, it is very easy

Comment

Working...
                              X