EP45-DS3L Locking up during Prime95 w/ram and memtest86 and Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-DS3L Locking up during Prime95 w/ram and memtest86 and Games

I recently purchased EP45-DS3L, with a e8400 3.0ghz and 4gigs of DDR2 800 Corsair ram. The system posts fine, runs totally normal just browsing the net, watching movies, etc. But when I try to run a game or 3dmark the machine completely locks up. I have read about a lot of trouble people are having with this board having similar problems. I have tried running memtest and i get no errors but the machine totally locks up about 1 minute into it. I have also run SpeedFan with prime95 to make sure none of my other components are overheating. Everything is okay as far as cooling goes. However when I run prime95 w/memory testing it locks my machine within 30 seconds.

At this point I'm fairly confident that I have the problem narrowed down to either bad RAM or Bad Motherboard or Bad settings on the mobo. I have no spare RAM to test with, and I have no spare Mobo to test with. I have seen where LSDmeasap has posted to some other folks some different settings to try in the bios and I am hoping that my problem will be resolved by something similar. Any help given is greatly appreciated!

Bios Settings are as follow:

Robust Graphics Booster [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ration 9x

Clock Chip Control
    CPU Host Clock Control Disabled
    CPU Host Freq 333
    PCI Express Frequency Auto
    C.I.A.2 Disabled

Advanced Clock Control 800 , 800, 0 , 0

DRAM Perf Control
    Performance Enhance Turbo
    GMCH Freq Latch Auto
    System Memory Multiplier(SPD) Auto
    Memory Freq 800, 800
    DRAM Timing Selectable Auto

CAS Latency Time 5 Auto
    tRCD 5 Auto
    tRP 5 Auto
    tRAS 18 Auto

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD / tWTR / tWR / tRFC / tRTP/ Command Rate = 3 / 3/ 6/ 42/ 3/ 0 all set to auto

Motherboard Voltage Control

Vcore 1.22500v Auto
    Termination 1.200v Auto
    PLL 1.550v Auto
    Reference 0.805v Auto

MCH Core 1.100v Auto
    MCH Refernce 0.760v Auto
    ICH I/O 1.550v

DRAM Voltage was set at auto 1.800v but I changed it to 1.900v according to my RAM specs.
    Last edited by goathahalol; 11-09-2008, 03:27 PM. Reason: Edited to add BIOS Settings in case someone asks

Re: EP45-DS3L Locking up during Prime95 w/ram and memtest86 and Games

First off, are you using the latest Memtest86+ 2.01? If not that may be why Memtest is stopping for you >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Then again maybe not. Have you tested each stick you have one by one at stock to be sure you do not have a faulty module? This testing should be done one stick at a time in slot one with Performance enhance set to standard, Main timings manually set, memory multi set to match speed of ram and ram voltage set to spec on sticker of your ram.

For 4GB you need to set a few things manually for sure. Try this >>>

Robust Graphics Booster [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ration 9x

Clock Chip Control
    CPU Host Clock Control Disabled
    CPU Host Freq 333
    PCI Express Frequency 100
    C.I.A.2 Disabled

Advanced Clock Control 800 , 800, 0 , 0

DRAM Perf Control
    Performance Enhance Standard
    GMCH Freq Latch Auto
    System Memory Multiplier(SPD) Auto
    Memory Freq 800, 800
    DRAM Timing Selectable Manual

CAS Latency Time 5
    tRCD 5
    tRP 5
    tRAS 18

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD / tWTR / tWR / tRFC / tRTP/ Command Rate = 3 / 3/ 6/ (52-62 TRFC)/ 3/ 2

Motherboard Voltage Control

Vcore 1.22500v Auto
    Termination 1.200v Auto
    PLL 1.550v Auto
    Reference 0.805v Auto

MCH Core 1.100v << Set to 1.15-1.3 (try 1.26)
    MCH Refernce 0.760v Auto
    ICH I/O 1.550v

Ram voltage 1.9-2.0

Comment

LSD,

I've got my system finally running stable thanks to some of your posts to other people having similar problems with similar setups. Currently the advanced timing are set very loose and I'm not sure how much of a performance hit I am taking for it. I may try later to tune them down a little tighter but right now I'm just so happy that I found this website and your genious. I think the trick that really fixed me was dropping my MCH down to 1.050 instead of raising it up from 1.100. I will post a little later my exact configuration so you can add it to your database of successes.

Thanks a ton!

P.S. I have built maybe 10 different computers from scratch over time, and I must say that I have never had any problems like this whatsoever before where I had to manually adjust things in the bios unless I was overclocking. Is there really any explanation as to why with this Gigabyte board it is this way?

Comment

Great to hear! Glad I could help you along

Well, in the past in those PC's did you use 4GB of ram? If not that is why mainly.

That and the New GA-P45 boards are Super advanced, so you should really be wanting to overclock to purchase one and have in mind settings will be needing to change.

What it is really is that the BIOS is setup to run defaults for 2x1GB of ram at 1.8V just so any user with most any hardware can get into the BIOS and set things up properly.

OEM and cheaper boards are more the type where you would not need (or be able to) Change things. But with todays ram (Speed and Quality {timings and voltages}) and amounts of ram being used things almost always need a change.

Does this Less then stock MCH voltage adjustment allow you to pass Memtest86+?

Comment

Working...
        X