Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

windwithme 2nd episode testing of Intel LGA 1366-MSI Eclipse SLI with i7 965 Extreme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windwithme 2nd episode testing of Intel LGA 1366-MSI Eclipse SLI with i7 965 Extreme

Re: windwithme 2nd episode testing of Intel LGA 1366-MSI Eclipse SLI with i7 965 Extr

MSI Eclipse SLI motherboard

Motherboard Layout
    3 PCI-E X16 slots (supports ATI CrossFireX and NVIDIA SLI multi-graphics card technology)
    2 PCI-E X1 slots
    2 PCI slots
    There are three buttons at the bottom, are switching Power/Reset/D-LED2 information display functions.
    The red jumper enables users to set the CPU FSB directly, no need to penetrate BIOS.

Comment

Re: windwithme 2nd episode testing of Intel LGA 1366-MSI Eclipse SLI with i7 965 Extr

6 SATAII slots (ICH10R, supports RAID 0/1/5/10)
      4 SATA II (JMicronR 322, supports RAID 0/1/JBOD)
      D-LED2 slot is installed next to the blue SATA slot.

6 DIMMs DDR3 memory slots is the special specifications, which support 600/1066/1333/1600/1866/2133MHz.
      The next is the 24-pin power input.

The CPU power supply using the 6+2+2 phase power supply and support the DrMOS energy-saving technology.
      In addition, the PWM is using Hi-C CAP needed materials

I/O Interface
      8 USB 2.0 slots
      2 RJ45 connectors
      1 IEEE 1394 ports
      2 eSATA slots
      Here there is a Clear CMOS button.

Comment

The North and South bridges cooling modules of MSI Eclipse SLI,
        does not have the exaggerate the size of cooling, but look more delicate and more beautiful.

The PWM thermal design is quite special; left side is the location of 2+2 phases DrMOS.

3 Channels DDR3 1600 memory are installed on the motherboard.

Intel Core i7 965 Extreme also installed.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Four setting groups enables user to store or access the preference settings.

MSI has provided the BIOS update functions in BIOS setting environment.
              In the past, user only can update the BIOS through OS for online updates, it is really quite inconvenient.

Green Power

H/W Monitor

Comment

Testing Platform
                CPU: Intel Core i7 965 Extreme
                MB: MSI Eclipse SLI
                DRAM: CORSAIR Dominator 2GBX3 DDR3 1600C8D
                VGA: MSI R4870X2-T2D2G-OC
                HD: SAMSUNG 32GB SSD SLC
                POWER: Corsair HX1000W Modular Power Supply
                Cooler: Thermaltake V1 AX/JETART Nano Diamond

CPU test
                Intel Core i7 965 Extreme
                CPU: 161.6X24=>3875Mhz
                DRAM: DDR3 1616 CL8 8-8-24 1T 1.6V

PCMARK2005

CrystalMark 2004R3

CINEBENCH R10

Core i7 CPU built-in 3-channel of DDR3 memory controller can enhance a lot of CPU performance.
                In above test, the memory performance had a lot of progress than the previous LGA755.

Comment

DRAM test
                  2GBX3 CORSAIR CM3X2G 1600C8D

CPU default setting, open the Turbo Boost Tech.
                  DDR3 1600 CL8 8-8-24 1T 1.5V
                  Hyper PI 32M stable

EVEREST/Sandra bandwidth

Comment

OC DDR3 1807 CL9 9-9-28 1T 1.65V
                    EVEREST/Sandra bandwidth

Under the new CPU structure, DDR3 voltage is even lower than the previous chipset.
                    In the above test, DDR3 1600 CL8 in 1.5V also may reach a stable level.

Use VISTA 64-bit operating system to test the DDR3 6GB Kit full capacity.
                    We use the CrystalMark / Sandra to be the testing software.

Single Channel
                    34602/11789MB/s

Dual Channels
                    54345/20910MB/s

Triple Channels
                    65267/28401MB/s

Comment

Under the same clock, we use the 1GBx3 to do the comparison.
                      Triple Channels
                      60706/25214MB/s

From the above tests, we can see clearly, 3-channel provides the best performance.
                      Moreover, the performance of 2GBx3 is better than 1GBx3.
                      For the pursuit of DRAM performance, 2GBx3 is the best choice.

3D Performance
                      MSI R4870X2-T2D2G-OC,780/1800Mhz
                      We used the X58 driver which is revised by ATI in November 20th.

3DMARK2005

3DMARK2006

The 3DMark of the ATI specialized i7/X58 driver is about 5~10% better than the previous driver.
                      There were a lot of tests in the website, which mentioned the i7 CPU has no progress in Game, even a slight deterioration.
                      Following we are beginning to test the game performance.

Need For Speed Pro Street
                      1600X1200
                      Last edited by windwithme; 12-05-2008, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Age Of Empires
                        1920X1200

Crysis Benchmark

Need For Speed Pro Street increased about 20 pages than ATI 8.10.
                        Although I have not used the “Age of Empires” to test for a long time, but this is the first time I have such result in a high level setting.
                        Crysis Benchmark is worse about 5~10% performance than LGA755.
                        It is possible i7 CPU is the difference with the previous structure.
                        The game performance problem is to need the amendments patch of game company to solve.

CPU: 200X20=>4000Mhz
                        DRAM: DDR3 1605 CL8 8-8-24 1T 1.6V

205Mhz Super PI 1M

MSI Eclipse SLI Result

Advantages:
                        1.The new packaging design.
                        2.BIOS stability, wide voltage and CPU/DRAM have great overclocking ability.
                        3.Simultaneously supports ATI CrossFireX and NVIDIA 3-Way SLI.
                        4.6+2+2 phases DrMOS power supply, All Made-in-Japan solid capacitors, and X-Fi sound card.
                        5.Provides 10 SATA slots, 2 eSATA slots, and IEEE1394 for expansion.
                        6.Four kind different function buttons. D-LED2 has the debugging and display temperature functions.

Disadvantages:
                        1.The DDR clock can go beyond the limit. It would be better if we can use the 133/1866.
                        2.The previous user’s setting would be filed away after BIOS update.

Performance ★★★★★★★★☆☆
                        Components ★★★★★★★★★☆
                        Layout design ★★★★★★★★☆☆
                        Cost/ performance ratio ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

MSI motherboard with LGA1366 structure provides a different usage in the past.
                        MSI products have few BIOS problems, especially in overclocking.
                        But this time, MSI Eclipse SLI currently doesn’t have problems, and fairly stable after overclocking setting.
                        We can see that MSI had effort to improve the BIOS stability.

MSI Eclipse SLI is priced about NT$10300 (310 USD), is in the medium-level position of the current high-end motherboard.
                        MSI X58 Platinum, the entry-level motherboard, is priced about NT$7400 (230 USD).
                        The new generation of new framework is replaced by X58 product, it should be replaced the position of X48 high-end motherboard priced about 230~420 USD.
                        But for the LGA775 users, high-end X48 and middle-level P45 motherboards are the most value choice.

Meanwhile, if the consumer was originally to buy the LGA 775 platform (high-end X48 motherboard with more than the Q9550 level CPU),
                        they changed their mind to purchase the X58 with Core i7 920 CPU is the better choice.
                        Users need to spend more money on DDR3 memory that would raise the whole platform cost.

Currently Core i7 is to replace the LGA 775 of high-end price.
                        I believe in the coming year will gradually after the introduction of price bands.
                        MSI Eclipse SLI motherboard has good performance in functional, performance, and overclocking.
                        It is a worthy reference to the inclusion product for the users who want to obtain the X58 motherboard.
                        Last edited by windwithme; 12-05-2008, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Good review as always!
                          Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                          Managing Director
                          Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Working...
                          X