P35-DS3R Memtest86+ won't run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35-DS3R Memtest86+ won't run

I can't get the Metest86+ bootable CD to run on my system. I've set Cd-rom to be the first boot device and the system shows Loading....... but then nothing happens.

What should I try to do? I'm running all SATA drives with AHCI enabled, if that makes a difference.

Re: P35-DS3R Memtest86+ won't run

I assume you have got an SATA cd/dvd drive?

Memtest's boot loader is old (as per many apps out there) and doesn't seem to support SATA Dvd drives whilst the system is in AHCI mode.

Ways around this, is to have an IDE aswell as an SATA dvd/cd drive and use the IDE drive to run these utilities with, whilst keeping the system in AHCI mode.

Or simply take the system out of AHCI mode to run Memtest or any other low level utility that uses an old boot loader, such as Victoria, Mhdd etc...
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Yes, I do have a SATA dvd drive running in AHCI mode.

Can I boot it off of a usb flash drive?

Comment

Memtest does have a usb option, but I haven't tried it in respect to AHCI. If you though temporarily disable AHCI, memtest should work from the bootable CD, but you'll need to enter the bios and re-enable AHCI after you've finished testing and before you load up windows.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

You can make a Memtest86+ USB Stick for sure! Use F12 at bootup to choose hard drive, then on the next screen you will find your USB Stick to choose to boot from. Any other way will not work as for booting from USB.

Here is how you make a USB Memtest86+ Stick, do read the thread so you dont do what we did and try to add the "Missing files" as they are not needed and will make it not work. Just follow the Bootable USB Guide to the T and add Memtest86+ USB file on the stick and you will be good to go >>>

Read from Post 10 on >>>
          http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep45...-posted-27759/

Bootable USB >>>
          http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Or you could simply do as VorLonUK suggests it would be very simple

Comment

Thanks for the great help! Making a bootable USB stick is a bit complicated, so I think I'll just stick to switching AHCI off and on.

Comment

K, so did you get it running then now? Sorry we did not ask, but if you did not get it running did you burn the ISO Properly? If so and you are already using it then ignore me!

Comment

Working...
              X