GA-EX58-UD5 triple channel RAM (blue slots) and error code 69

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD5 triple channel RAM (blue slots) and error code 69

I've been searching for solutions to this problem and found out that I'm not the only one. Another board member here named Stephen seems to have the same issue as well.

Here's a description to the problem; The instruction manual says that, in order to set up triple channel configuration for the system memory, three sticks have to be used on the blue slots. (1, 3 and 5.) When this is done, the system starts, but the motherboard refuses to initialize at all, with nothing displayed on the monitor. Upon checking the debug LED mounted on the motherboard, it displays the code "69", which doesn't help much since the instruction manual does not have any of the debug LED codes listed. (The list on the instruction manual are for POST menu.)

Now, when the RAM sticks are plugged into the white slots, (2, 4 and 6) the system works flawlessly.

I've contacted Gigabyte support via e-mail with thorough details, but it seems that they have no idea about the issue, and keeps suggesting that I turn in the entire board for RMA. But, honestly, considering the fact that the board is already solidly screwed to the case, not to mention that I have LCS tubes running all over inside the case, the idea of taking the thing out for what could be either the faulty RAM sticks or simple typo on the instruction manual doesn't appeal to me.

Has anyone else have had this type of problem and manage to figure out an answer to what's causing it?
    Last edited by enomosiki; 12-11-2008, 04:32 PM.

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 triple channel RAM (blue slots) and error code 69

Well the error codes are listed in the manual, in the very back... But all I see is 69h, and it says "Turn on L2 Cache"

If you cannot do that, or it is useless info I would RMA or just keep using the board with the White slots as it works great you say

*Pre-Post Edit*

Hey, that is how it is supposed to work >>>
    When enabling 3 Channel mode with three memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets
    Slots mentioned above are slots 2, 4, and 6 which are the white slots. So sounds to me as if the board is working properly

Comment

Originally posted by enomosiki View Post
      I've been searching for solutions to this problem and found out that I'm not the only one. Another board member here named Stephen seems to have the same issue as well.
      The white slots are the correct slots to install the memory if you are running triple channel. My problems are probably (hopefully) issues with the bios, sata, bios voltage settings & how it handles memory timings.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        Well the error codes are listed in the manual, in the very back... But all I see is 69h, and it says "Turn on L2 Cache"
        Well, that code list is for the POST menu, which are most likely different sets of codes used by the debug LED on the motherboard.

Yeah, at first I had the same assumption that enabling the L2 cache would do the trick, and continuously banged my head on the problem until I started hearing squishy sounds and finally figured out that debug LED codes ≠ POST codes.

If you cannot do that, or it is useless info I would RMA or just keep using the board with the White slots as it works great you say

*Pre-Post Edit*

Hey, that is how it is supposed to work >>>

Slots mentioned above are slots 2, 4, and 6 which are the white slots. So sounds to me as if the board is working properly
        I sure hope so, although it would be awesome if there was a software that allows you to check the memory configurations and such. I'm going to see if I can find one.

Besides, I'm too lazy to navigate through all of the cables and water tubes to rip out the motherboard. :P

Originally posted by Stephen431 View Post
        The white slots are the correct slots to install the memory if you are running triple channel. My problems are probably (hopefully) issues with the bios, sata, bios voltage settings & how it handles memory timings.
        Yeah, I really hope that you can get your board working correctly without having to RMA it. It really sucks to spend several hundred bucks on something that starts to malfunction.

Gah. Gigabyte needs to have better BIOS update methods.

Comment

hey man,i have the same problem, i have 3 x 2gb 1333 from kingston i7 920 and i just finished assembling, i start it, nothing... all 3 on blue, with 69 error code, i put them into white still nothing! error is 26 what did you do? please add me on msn [email protected] or email me [email protected]

Comment

you have to put the memory in the white slots first...

Comment

Comment

I am having the same issue.. board does not accept ram in the BLue slots, even when i try using the 1st white memory slot to test one stick of 2gb corsair 1333 mhz ram on my ex58-ud5 motherboard.

I am getting the following post error code on the mobo: 29

Video does not work!

My system was working just fine until I replaced 3gb of Patriot Ram with 6gb Corsair. and also I upgraded the video card from 256 to 1 gb Evga geforce card. Now, I am not sure if i will be able to recover the system to its original state.

Anyone able to resolve this issue? any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Considering RMA.. thanks,

Comment

I think the minimum is 2 sticks of ram, I wanted to test one stick at the time to but no go :D

So use 2 sticks in the white slots and you should be fine.

Comment

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
                    i7 920 @ ???
                    GTX260 @ ???
                    6Gb Corsair XMS3@1600Mhz
                    ---------------
                    ??? i was told to use 1333Mhz because the 1600s do not work on the UD5... In any case i have tried every ram configuration possible. no luck

Comment

Originally posted by samso View Post
                      Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
                      i7 920 @ ???
                      GTX260 @ ???
                      6Gb Corsair XMS3@1600Mhz
                      ---------------
                      ??? i was told to use 1333Mhz because the 1600s do not work on the UD5... In any case i have tried every ram configuration possible. no luck
                      It's a fact that this mobo supports DDR3 DIMM modules up to 1333MHz only (refer to User's Manual page -10-), but as long as the BIOS configurations are properly set, the 1600Mhz modules will work.
                      I first suggest you to set the DRAM voltage up to 1.65v, timings 9-9-9-24

Johnny Rook
                      System Components: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4,0Ghz; Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (X58-EXTREME F12 BIOS); Sapphire HD5970 2GB OC Edition; Western Digital Blue 500GB; Seagate 7200.12 1000MB; 6GB Corsair 1333Mhz DDR3; DVD-RW LG; Corsair TX750W
                      Watercooling System: EK-Supreme Skt 1366 WaterBlock + EK backplate Skt 1366; Kit EK-FB GAX58 WaterBlocks; Aqua-Computer AquagratiX 5970 WaterBlock; 360mm Thermaltake radiator; 360mm BI Stealth X-Flow radiator; Laing MCP355 pump; EK-DDC X-TOP rev.2 Plexi
                      Danger Den Plexi E/S 1/2" reservoir; 4x A.C. Ryan UV 120mm; 3x Tacens Ventus PRO ICE 120mm; 2x NoiseBlocker Black Silent XE2 92mm; Liquid Cooling FESER Black; FESER tubing 3/8" ID and 5/8" OD; Enzotech Compression Fittings G 1/4

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_Kay View Post
                        you have to put the memory in the white slots first...

Hi all, just been reading this thread as I have the memory issue. I have the following kit :

CPU | Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66GHz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366) - OEM
                        MOBO | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
                        RAM | Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Tri-Channel (TR3X6G1600C9)
                        PSU | Zalman ZM850-HP Heatpipe Cooled 850W Modular Power Supply
                        OS | Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)

I inserted ram into :

1. Slot, 1, 2, & 3 (blue, white, blue) OS detected 6GB but 4GB useable. During post only detected 4GB.
                        2. Slot 1, 3, & 5 (blue, blue, blue) error code 69 appeared.
                        3. Slot 2, 4, 6 (all white) detected 6GB during post and in Windows 7

Comment

yes its white slots only for 6gb/3sticks and all slots for 12gb/6 sticks of ram,the blue slots are only used if you have more than 3 sticks of ram otherwise its white slots only
                          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X