Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initialization of High Precision Event Timer failed due to a BIOS problem

I get this error in my windows event logs:

Initialization of the High Precision Event Timer failed due to a BIOS configuration problem.
    The operating system will use another available platform timer in lieu of the High Precision Event Timer.

Contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
    Initialization status: 1.

As I understand it HPET is used to time streaming of multimedia files.

I'm using vista X64 and GA M57SLI-S4 with BIOS version FH-A, HPET in BIOS is set to x64.

My ststem specs:

Vista X64
    GA-M57SLI-S4
    AMDx2 6000
    XFX 8800 GTX 768m/b
    WinFast DTV2000 H WDM TVTuner
    Antec Truepower 550w
    6 gig ddr 800 dual channel. (tested and clean)
    2 x 300 gig sata h/d's (clean and checked)

I don't know what to do about this.

Regards.
    Last edited by Pitty; 12-28-2008, 12:21 AM.

Re: Initialization of High Precision Event Timer failed due to a BIOS problem

Looks like a Beta BIOS right? Maybe try a older one or wait for a newer one. You will be fine with it disabled in the BIOS if you like

Comment

Hmm nope i dont think its a beta bios
      GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)

Comment

Well that is strange how they name them, but still looks kinda beta to me otherwise following that naming scheme the FH BIOS following FG would be FH not FHA.

I do see that BIOS listed as Beta and named FHa at other places, which makes me even more sure it is indeed beta.

Did you try the one before it? I would be trying a older BIOS if your CPU is supported by them

How about just shutting the feature off, it does not help much anyway that I know of

Comment

I heard HPET controls the timing of streaming media ?
          And since i've been crashing while trying to play eq2 and watch free to air digital tv at the same time, i thought the issue might be related.

I have tried earlier bioses as well, but i still get the HPET error in event logs, even with a fresh install of windows.

Thanks for your help, it might be time to upgrade the M/B anyway - might go with a core2 gigabyte m/b this time.
          Last edited by Pitty; 12-30-2008, 07:07 AM.

Comment

It very well could be related for sure, but have you tried it with it disabled? I mean tried your game and TV with the setting disabled?

Ya, Core 2 Is nice for sure!! Let me know if you need some helping picking something out.

Sorry I could not be of more help with this issue! Did you ever contact Gigabyte Tech Support to see what they had to say or if they had any Beta BIOS's for you to try? If not, might as well see what they say >>>
            GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Comment

Working...
            X