Memory will not Post/boot in dual channel config

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory will not Post/boot in dual channel config

I just finished a new pc build, and I am having issues with my mobo (EP45-UD3R) /memory. Full Specs are in the sig...

On initial install (Bios F4), ram in dual channel config (1&3, 2&4) would not post, emitting short continuous beeps (power error). Removed one of the Dimms, everything posts and boots fine. Add the second Dimm in single channel config (1&2), everything posts and boots fine. Bios/mobo detected timing, but not proper voltage, manually adjusted voltage to 2.1v in bios...same no post/beeps.

Cleared Cmos, tried dual config, same results.

Updated Bios to F5, now Dual channel config does not post, no display, but only beeps once and spins all the fans. I have tried Dimms in 1&3 and 2&4, both with like results.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Black_Talon; 01-04-2009, 09:34 PM.

Re: Memory will not Post/boot in dual channel config

I just finished running Memtest86+ and the memory passed all tests with no errors.

Could I have a Bios setting wrong that would cause this? Could it be a problem with the memory controller?

Comment

Test each slot on by one to be sure you dont have a faulty slot

What Static tRead are you using? Performance enhance set to standard, MCH Voltage added and ram voltage set?

Comment

Attached a screenshot. Performance enhance is set to standard...
        Attached Files

Comment

I am not sure how to test each slot...but I assume that you use only one dimm and try to boot with it in each slot, one at a time?

Slot #1: boot
          Slot #2: boot

Slot #3: Blank screen, all fans spin, no beeps
          Slot #4: Blank screen, all fans spin, no beeps

Slot #1 & #2: boot
          Slot #1 & #3: Blank screen, all fans spin, no beeps
          Slot #2 & #4: Blank screen, all fans spin, no beeps

Is that how I am supposed to test each slot?

I tried to keep everything as stock as possible until this Ram issue is fixed.
          Screens:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Black_Talon; 01-05-2009, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Interesting turn of events...

I pulled some crappy o.e.m. ram (2x2gb & 2x1gb) out of my buddy's pc and threw it on my board...loaded Optimized defaults in the bios and changed nothing...boots right up. Now my Dominator ram passes Memtest with flying colors, so it has to be something I have settings wise that is not correct?

This is just frustrating!
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok 1st thing to try to get this working, set the memory latch(your running 266FSB so use the 266 latch) and divider so your memory Mhz is 800. Also you need to raise the MCH core to 1.24-1.28. Also manually set the PL(performance Level aka Static tRead) to 9 on both channels under advance timings

Then go from there. Again set this with only 1 stick, then save and exit, then put the other stick in slot 3(so slot 1+3) see if it works? If not, then switch the sticks, so the one that was in slot 1 goes in slot 3 and 3 to slot 1. Try again. If not then you need further tweaking in bios.

If it does work, then set the mem speed back to 1066 and try, if it doesnt work, swap the sticks and try
              Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM.
              New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

Yes, I was about to say slot 3-4 bad, but glad to see you got somewhere. In your memset screenshot looks like Static tRead is set to 6, that may be too low for your ram

As said above add some MCH voltage as well, maybe 1.22-1.24 would be good. And put driving strength profiles on 1066

And use this for your ram setup speeds so you get on the 266/1066 strap for sure as well >>>

DRAM Performance Control
                Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
                Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
                System Memory Multiplier ..............: 4.00A
                Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066

Comment

Thank you both...I will try those settings when I get back home.

I put my dominator ram in a POS dell pc at work, and they booted just fine with no modifications. Probably running at 800 not 1066...but running dual channel none the less.

I have memtest going on them now in the dell to see what that turns up.

I will let you know if the settings you suggested fixed the problem. Could it be that this ram is just not compatible with my board?

Comment

It could be that it is not compatible, but not likely. I have been trying to get them to send me some for testing with no luck.

I would think the Change or tRD to 7 or 8 at 1066 may help, let us know how your testing goes with changing that

Comment

Ok...long day of memory abuse. I beat these sticks down all day with memtest and anything else I could find...not one error all day.

I have been trying a bunch of different combinations of settings and finally have it, well kinda working. SpeedEuphoria good call on turning it down to 800mhz. As soon as I manually set everything to expect 800, not 1066, things booted right up. Which make sense now seeing how they worked fine in all the lower end machines I tested them with.

Settings:

Driving strength : 800
                      Static tRead: 9
                      MCH Core : 1.24
                      Latch: 266
                      Divider: set for 800
                      Dram volts: 2.1

Lsdmeasap I could not find tRD...

Now that I can boot, I need to work on how to get these puppies working at 1066 like they are supposed to, and memtest'um again. Suggestions?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Black_Talon; 01-06-2009, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I also found this on the Corsair site:

Testing parameters for Twinx/XMS2-8500/C5D:
                        Twin2x2048-8500C5D Data Sheet
                        Twin2x4096-8500C5DF Data Sheet
                        Memory Voltage 2.2 Volts Version 1.x and 2.15 Volts for version 2.x.
                        Motherboard make and model: Asus P5B or M2N32-SLI Premium/Deluxe Only!
                        Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:
                        AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual
                        OC Operation: Disabled
                        NOS Operation: Disabled
                        CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 268 MHz
                        PCI CLK1: Auto
                        PCI CLK2: Auto
                        DDR2 Voltage control: 2.20V Ver 1.x (2.1 Volts for 2.X)
                        CPU Core Voltage: Auto
                        CPU Multiplier: 10
                        DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz
                        DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual
                        SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T
                        SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T
                        SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T
                        SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T
                        SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5
                        1T/2T: 2T
                        A1 Clock Skew: Auto
                        ADVANCED Voltage Control:
                        CPU Vcore offset:-Disabled
                        DDR2 Termination:-0.5X
                        CPU to NB HT:_____1.200V
                        NB to SB HT:______Auto
                        NB Core/PCI-E:____Auto
                        SB Core/PCI-E:____Auto
                        SB Standby core:__+1.500V
                        All other settings are motherboard defaults.
                        Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.2 Volts for Rev 1.x and 2.1 Volts for Ver. 2.X
                        Attached Files

Comment

I have been playing around with the settings and can not get this sticks running at more than 900mhz using 1066mhz driving profile.

Anything that even hints at 1066 using both sticks, the whole thing comes to a halt.

If I only use one stick, I can get it running stable at 1066, with a mild OC 2.88 (9x320). As soon as I try to go for both, it completely fails...in fact one time I had to boot from a usb to flash the Bios to save it. Still quite frustrating, and I am not sure if I would recommend this Ram/mobo combo to anyone. The thing that is holding back my OC is the ram, that is supposed to be made for OC'ing! You can save some money and just get 800 not 1066...

Am I missing something, or a setting that could help with running both sticks at the advertised speed, and do it stable?
                          Last edited by Black_Talon; 01-07-2009, 10:13 PM.

Comment

tRD is Performance Level (Static tRead in your BIOS)

What Strap are you trying to use? Try the D strap

I'd have to see your full settings again with as far as you have gotten to advise, but they may just not be a stable combination? That ram may just not like that board. The board for sure will do 1066 as it has been breaking world DDR records at 1600Mhz >>>
                            GIGABYTE--Challenge Dual Channel DDR2 1508MHz Record--Main Page

GIGABYTE--Challenge Dual Channel DDR2 1508MHz Record--Record Breakers

Comment

This is the same issue I am having with my board as well. I am using GSkill Pi 8800s, GSkill Black Pi 6400s, and some Crucial Ballistixs to test.
                              Gaming rig:
                              XP Sp3
                              Gigabyte EP45-UD3R bios F7a beta rev 1.0
                              Q9550 GO OC'd 4ghz(471x8.5) with tuniq tower
                              1 stick 2gigs G-Skill PI 8800s b/c this damn board won't run both sticks
                              eVGA 8800Ultra Vanilla w/backplate--650core/1127mem/1654shader
                              (1)500gig seagate 7200.10 main storage
                              (2)320gig seagate 7200.10 sata extra storage
                              lite on 20x dvd-burner sata
                              corsair hx520 psu
                              antec 900 case

Comment

Working...
                              X