Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i7 920 idle temperature?

Hi -

I'm running an i7 920 at stock/default settings on a GA-EX58-UD3R and a Cooler Master V8 cooler and Tuniq TX-2 thermal gunk. Anyway, on bootup, the BIOS health check is showing 38C on the CPU. This seems kind of high for just sitting in the BIOS. The ambient temp is about 18-20C. Is this par for the course? Could I have put too much thermal grease on? (I just put a line across the middle of the heat spreader. It was probably about 1/8" thick and after putting the heatsick on, it separated once :-( (The V8 + motherboard is pretty hard to handle with just 2 hands!). Could that have caused a problem? Do I need to take everything apart, clean it up, and try again? I haven't installed anything yet, so I can't runeasytune/realtemp/coretemp or anything. The BIOS is all I've got for now...

Thanks!

Re: i7 920 idle temperature?

I think that is about average, depending on Ambient temps and the cooler used

1/8" sounds a bit thick to me, but then again that is a large CPU and I have not heard much talk about paste application with it yet

Hopefully some of our X58 users will chime in here for ya

What you can do is look at these two threads and see what some average temps are >>

RealTemp thread (Look towards the back and this is a Very Old/Long Thread with only the later posts of course having X58 in them) >>
    Real Temp - New temp program for Intel Core processors - XtremeSystems Forums

X58 thread at same forum >>
    Core i7/X58 Overclocking Thread - XtremeSystems Forums

Comment

Actually, it was probably closer to 1/16". Getting lost between the English and Metric System. Just checked a ruler, and 1/8" would definitely be too thick!

I got Vista 64 installed, but only have about 20-30 minutes of "play time" every night, so haven't got around to installing realtemp, but easytune is showing about 35C idle (20C ambient). MCH is showing 40C, and that heatsink definitely feels warm to the touch. Is that normal? I'll try running some load and see how that goes.

Comment

In my experience the run pretty hot, on the default cooler on stock speed mine reached 70's easily when stressed with Linx. Fitting the TRUE helped allot and on 3.2 Ghz it never came higher then 62c when stressed with 8 threats. This still is allot higher then the Core duo's seemed to have run but if you browse a bit trough several forums it seems to be on par for the i7-920.

Comment

Hm. Maybe my idle just seemed high. I ran Prime95 and after 30 minutes, peaked at around 56-58C per core according to realtemp, and 46C according to EasyTune6. I'm using the Cooler Master V8. Time to start OC'ing. :-)

Comment

EasyTune ONLY shows CPU temp and not core temps so that is pretty much useless as a looking point for temps

Ya, those temps look fine for sure! Plenty of room left

Comment

I see the same thing with my sys i7 920 with the GA-EX58-UD3R 3 gigs G.Skill 1333 (7-7-7-18) running at stock settings for the CPU and the memory and the sys and CPU are ~38 to 40 deg...Not an issue since I set the fan on the CNPS 9500 to the lowest setting 1200RPM...

Comment

Working...
              X