Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R nonfunctional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R nonfunctional?

I've run into a dispiriting problem with this motherboard (new, out of box today) - it won't do anything but flash the phase LEDs once. The CPU fan jitters slightly when it does this, as though the motherboard is getting power, but it all shuts down shortly thereafter.

I'm using a GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard, Pentium E5200 wolfdale Dual-core processor, Rosewill 550W ATX12V PSU, and I just can't get the rig to do *anything*.

If anyone has any suggestions for diagnosing or fixing the problem, I'd love to hear from you.

Re: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R nonfunctional?

Have you connected the 4/8 pin 12V line to the motherboard? It won't start without the auxiliary power connected.

Comment

After reading around, I think that what you describe is almost certainly part of the problem, Idle, but there is one irregularity:

*With* the 8-pin connected, all that happens is as above; everything starts for half a second, then stops.

*Without* it connected, everything works fine except (apparently) the CPU, which doesn't do anything (so all other lights/fans/etc go on, but the CPU fan starts for a second and then realizes there's no reason for it to be working and shuts off).

Either way, the computer is nonfunctional. (Vid card is Radeon HD 4850 from Sapphire)

Any suggestions?

Comment

Are you trying with just 1 stick of ram in the 1st slot?
        New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

I have two sticks of 2 GB ram in the first two slots. Trying with one...

...Same result.

I've also noted now, after removing / replacing CPU, that all this behavior is totally independent of the CPU. (same behavior whether or not the CPU is in, CPU is dead cold regardless of all this) Wondering whether this is more likely a motherboard, CPU, or PSU problem.

Comment

Sounds like it may be a faulty CPU, can you test it in any other boards?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS? If not, please see post #2 here for my method and do that then try again >>>

If no luck, you are going to need to test the CPU in another board somewhere to see if it is faulty or not
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-10-2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I've now tried clearing the CMOS per your instructions several times as well as replacing the CPU entirely with one I know to be compatible and work - no change in symptoms. I guess I'll just see if I can find the rest of the packaging and replace it =(

Comment

Right now I am having the exact same problems described by Nalazun. However, what's peculiar about my case is that I have had my computer running with this motherboard for a few days now. It took a while to get it running, because it seemed as though one of the two sticks of RAM I purchased with it wasn't working properly. However, once I figured this out, I was able to run the computer with the one stick of good RAM. However, since I plan on RMAing the RAM, and since both sticks came together, I was going to have to take the one stick out to get the replacement. So I decided to make sure that i could run it with my old RAM (2gigs of old 533 MHz RAM), but with this RAM in, the system won't even get to POST before it shuts down. The fans all turn on, but before I can hear any POST beeps it shuts down. EDIT: Well this is really becoming somewhat of a mystery... now it is randomly working again, with my new working stick of 2GB 800MHz. Very odd... but oh well.
                Last edited by Tahome; 01-18-2009, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I have the same problem on this mobo with C2D 8500
                  Psu Asus 300W, 24 + 4
                  and this is not problem of RAM
                  maybe new stepping E0 is not supported in default version of bios?
                  or i must definitely change my PSU?
                  Please, help.
                  Last edited by Riga; 01-30-2009, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Riga:
                    My 8500 is the same stepping -- no problems.

300W PSU is rather marginal -- I'd try at least 480W.

Comment

Can someone tell me, if a PSU has only 4pin CPU power connector, does it really matter for this motherboard? I am going to take that one - Sea Sonic Electronics S12II-430(SS-430GB).

Comment

I've used Thermaltake ToughPower 700W PSU, it takes no effect.

Comment

I don't believe the CPU will work if you don't give it enough power, so I doubt that using a 4-pin power connector on one that wants an 8-pin (like the UD3R) will be sufficient. DS3L would be an example of one that doesn't need an 8-pin.

Comment

if DS3L has 4-pin cpu power connector and supports E8500, than 4-pin is sufficient for this processor.

Comment

i've found that after all the problem can be with 4-pin http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...81/index2.html

Comment

Working...
                              X