• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3 (rev1.0) bios missing health status

Hello, this system is a new build.
    mobo - GA-EP45-UD3 (rev 1.0)
    PSU = OCZ stealth 600W
    SDRAM = OCZ 2x2048 1066 DDR2 (CAS 5,5,5,15 - 2.02V)
    PCIe graphics
    SATA HD
    IDE DVD ROM drive

upon boot the system is ok, but with the first motherboard, almost immediately the screen color changes from normal white lettering to yellow lettering and there is no background blue field to the bios. Also in the system health section of the bios, all the infomation regarding the voltages and fan speeds and system temps are gone. There is a large blank spot there. Just empty space. There is a variation of the color of the lettering, sometimes it is purple, and this carries over to the main system colors in the operating system.
    I RMA'd the first board and the replacement worked fine for about 30 minutes, then upon a reboot the exact same problem happened. There was initially a beautiful bios with many wonderful options, and then it was gone and the screen had yellow lettering, and the PC health status was gone.
    The video card's have been tested and found troublefree, the monitor's troublefree. I have reflashed the bios, used different RAM ...
    I am now questioning weather the powersupply is bad and ruining the board although I have respect for the OCZ components ( as well as the gigiabyte ).
    Has anyone else had this problem, and are there any suggestions as to options besides switching to another board?
    Thanks, Gazer
    Last edited by Gazerbeam; 01-09-2009, 01:50 PM.

Re: GA-EP45-UD3 (rev1.0) bios missing health status

Hmm, I would suspect the PSU as well. I would pickup a different model if you like that brand or RMA that one while you wait on your Board to get RMA's again. Sounds like it is already permanently damaged as well

Can you borrow a PSU to test with, or do you gather this board is already harmed as well?

What GFX card is this anyway?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-11-2009, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the reply, about that PSU ... I realize the 8 pin CPU power connector is idiot proof and only connects in one way. But the board runs with only 4 of the 8 pins connected. I understand the extra 4 pins are for the extra power needed for a Quad CPU. So ... if I'm running a dual core then should I leave 4 of the power slots empty? Is that whats causing the problem (thinking outloud)? I would assume the board has 8 connectors and all 8 should be connected and thats what I did. I have not read anywhere that I should not connect all 8 pins. Hey I bought a XFX 9800+ Black edition
      Thanks again, Gazer

Comment

The extra 4 pins allow overclocking and other things you may need to run. I have seen a few thread lately were only using a 4 pin limited changing many things in the BIOS.

It is nothing to do with Quad or Dual, the actual Written Documentation on it says for "Extreme CPU's" but I recommend that you use 8Pin with any of todays CPU's and especially if you want to overclock at all.

I see you have and use 8pin, so that is good! Did you find a PSU to borrow or do you have a older one you can try with a smaller GFX Card? Or is this board already damaged as well?

Comment

Hello ...
          well I tested the video card in my other machine, and I have been using a EVGA 8600 since then.

I have RMA'd the board again, yes it is damaged also. I wish I understood why. If there is a good method of testing the PSU that you know of, would you post a link.

Thanks for your effort. Gazer

Comment

Only a PSU Tester would let you know if it is ok or not.

Do you need a link to those? If so let me know

Comment

I see that you are busy with a review and I understand the conflict perfectly, I really do appreciate your help with my problem. I just need to post because I am at a standstill with $700 of useless parts laughing at me.

I have RMA'd the 2nd motherboard and gotten another of a different brand. Same intel p45 chipset. I have tried another PSU and had the first one tested at my local shop. I have tried different RAM (corsair XMS ddr2 800) that works perfectly in another system. I am using the lesser powered vid card (evga Nv8600) which is also tested and flawless. I cannot believe that I have been shipped 3 bad motherboards from 2 different manufacturers. That means the only thing left is the CPU, 3.16 GHz (45nm build) E8500 Intel Core 2 1333 MHz LGA 775 processor. Is this an accurate assesment? The CPU has fried this build? I haven't run it more than 60 minutes total since I opened the box. All bios settings have been failsafe defaults. The Problem started from 1st powerup.

somebody LSDmeASAP-2
              thanks, Gazer

=============EDIt===============
              Hey, I am finished with this inquiry. I really do appreciate your help, thank you very much, I cannot thank you enough.
              This build is running smoothly now, and I have bought another build with a Gigabyte board with the 2x PCIE slots, and that one went flawlessy into a running state of bliss. Those damn Gigabyte boards are so beautiful I just had to try another. I am looking forward to using the overclock functions when I get more framiliar with the many options available.
              Thanks again, and for your reviews too, Gazer
              Last edited by Gazerbeam; 01-24-2009, 02:56 PM. Reason: query closed ... info

Comment

Working...
              X