Clock running very slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clock running very slow

I am having trouble with my Clock in Windows, it is loosing several minutes a day which it did not before.

Is the windows clock maintained from the System clock?

I think my Motherboard battery might be the cause which is a surprise as the Motherboard is less than 7 months old.

I have been having problems with Bios Corruption at times, when windows crashes/freezes which it has done a few times due to a malfunctioning Daemon Tools, it requires a reset. If I do that immediately after a windows crash when the motherboard posts it says that the Bios checksum is incorrect and then restores from the 2nd Bios, loosing all my saved settings.

It has done this quite a few times and I wonder whether the Motherboard battery is to blame.

So is Windows system time maintained from the motherboard? Could a flat or failing battery be causing these problems?
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
    minifan blowing through northbridge

Re: Clock running very slow

Yes, it for sure is kept by the BIOS battery. Can you check with Everest Ultimate in the Computer, then Sensor tab what your vBat voltage is showing, should be around 3.0-3.25 volts

You can get the latest Beta here >>>

Comment

Thank you for your reply Lsdmeasap.

HWMonitor and Everest both showed 3.09V which is normal. So it must be just the Gigabyte motherboards have poor clocks on them. I corrected the clock and after 17 hours it lost 50 seconds. Previously it lost 7 minutes in the space of a few days. Absolutely terrible, worst motherboard clock I have and I have 4.

The only thing to do is have a program set the clock from a time server at regular intervals. But it shouldn't be necessary. I might try changing the battery just to be sure, I have a couple of spare batteries.

Does everyone else have similarly bad time keeping with their clocks?
      Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
      Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
      Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
      2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
      Corsair HX 520 PSU
      Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
      Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
      Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
      Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
      Samsung 1TB
      Samsung 500GB
      Seagate 80GB
      BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
      NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
      Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
      Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
      mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
      minifan blowing through northbridge

Comment

Well windows should synchronize the clock every few days anyway with time.windows.com automatically.

But no, all my Gigabyte boards clocks work just fine

That is normal voltage, but ya it would not hurt to try another battery as that may just be showing that voltage while the system is running because it has power to it. Can you test the battery itself with a meter outside of the board?

Comment

Working...
        X