Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice: Q8200 + Gigabyte EP45T-Extreme

Hi all,

I'm at work at the moment, so I can't give details into exact which you may require, but I can when I get home (Details that you'd request to make my question answered easier).

I want to overclock my Intel Q8200, I know it can't be overclocked a lot, I didn't buy it for that purpose (I know the contradiction of this post), but I'd like to overclock it slightly, I've read you can get to 2.8, 2.9ghz safely.

My set is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45T-Extreme
    RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1333 2x2GB
    CPU: Q8200

What program(s) would I need to achive it, what settings would I need to do, I've never overclocked before due to fear about warranty or failure issue in the past, but I plan to upgrade my current CPU in a year (bought it mainly cause of the 45nm over the Q6600 65nm processor).

Also, would heating become an issue, I've got a thermaltake liquid cooling set (not installed yet, just need pump, not sure if I should bother installing it if I were to overclock it, advice needed there too)

Thanks in advance,
    Adrian

Re: Advice: Q8200 + Gigabyte EP45T-Extreme

You bought the wrong CPU for overclocking if you don't plan on getting down and dirty in the bios. It has taken me 2 weeks to get mine stable @ 2.99GHz and I have some experience as well. My advice would be to start slow and bump things up a few MHZ and go from there.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Hi,

There is already a thread here:

Advice: OverClocking Q8200 with EP45T-Extreme - TweakTown Forums

With that said with your post. I know about the limitations of the Q8200, didn't buy it for the overclocking (to an extent).

So what do you recommend me to start off with, even 2.6 would be good, let me your input/settings I should do.

I'm not a computer 'noob', just I didn't go into overclocking before and figured I may aswell start now. So going into the bios and doing that is not a problem. I could always reset the bios with my motherboard anyway if something goes wrong (I'd rather it not come to that), so with your advice going slow and just a little bit, how much should I do, would 2.6 be ok to start with, with that I'd be happy.

Regards,
      Adrian

Comment

I would start by bumping up the FSB 5MHz at a time and stress testing in between. Make sure to keep you ram speeds at or around their rated speeds/timings/voltage. 2.6GHz should be easy enough and probably not require much voltage. I also bought my Q8200 fully understanding the limitations, but I still believe that 3.2-3.4GHz is not out of the question. It is gonna take some major tweaking, but the hardware is capable. Unfortunately, due the the differences in our hardware, my settings will most likely not be even close. Stick to the Gigabyte forum and listen to lsdmeasap since he is pretty much the Gigabyte guru and knows his stuff inside out. I believe you should be able to run 350MHz FSB without voltage changes to the CPU and motherboard. Just be certain to keep your ram speeds/timings/voltages under their ratings. You do not gain any real world performance by overclocking ram much over rated speeds.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
        X