GA-EP45-UD3R Standby (S3) shuts off computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R Standby (S3) shuts off computer

My GA-EP45-UD3R (BIOS ver. F5) does not properly go into standby. In fact I don't think it goes into standby at all. When attempting to go into standby the computer will instead power off the computer and the next time I start it, it will begin at POST instead of instantly resuming to Desktop. This issue is replicated in Ubuntu, therefore can discount any OS/driver issue as root cause.

This is a fairly popular motherboard so anyone else out there who has one please comment on the status of Standby (S3) so I know its either isolated or this is a widespread occurrence.

System Configuration (all system components @ stock speed & manufactures suggested voltage.)
    Win XP Pro SP3
    Core2Duo e8400
    eVga 8800GTS 640MB PCIe
    Seasonic 430 Watt
    Gskill 2x1GB PC2-6400 (installed in dual channel on yellow banks, also tried single stick in yellow bank)
    1xsata hd
    1xide optical drive

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R Standby (S3) shuts off computer

Ok so I decided I would spend more time today troubleshooting this issue. Pulled a 2GB stick from my other working computer and placed it in the first slot on the gigabyte. Reset BIOS settings to default and booted up. This time when I standby from Windows, the computer will standby and when I wake it with usb m/kb it will turn on and then 2 sec later reboot and continue this cycle forever, causing undue stress on components. If I kill power to PSU (effectively clearing RAM) I can then boot again.

Comment

Comment

Good to see you are not affected. Im fairly certain the OS is not the problem. My BIOS settings are correct, and Windows is set to Standby in S3 mode as well. Note I have the same issue in Ubuntu. Considering Im faced with 2 different circumstances when using different RAM chips I believe this motherboard may be pretty picky about what RAM you are using, as my 1GB RAM chip will have the computer simply "shut-off" with no wake ability when going into standby, and my 2GB chip will have the computer standby correctly, but continually reboot on wake. Both of these chips work fine when in use in normal desktop and pass memtest86 stress testing.

May I ask what RAM you are using. Thanks

Comment

Sorry, previous message was incomplete (was trying to type and listen at the same time & hit wrong button.)

Bios setting:

S3 (STR)
          Power Button: Instant off
          AC Back: Soft Off

That's what mine is at.

I've used standby for various purposes on other XP machines, but you can never trust it — hibernation is even worse.

For what it's worth, my UD3R system has E8500 Wolfdale, 2x2GB G Skill DDR2-1100 (F2-8800CL5D-4GBP), Winfast 8800GTS, OCZ 700W PSU plus more hard disk space than you could shake a stick at (4TB+) in a Lian Li 70 series case.

Haven't attempted OC'ing it more interested in it's being 100% (impossible, of course) reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Idle View Post
            Bios setting:
            S3 (STR)
            Power Button: Instant off
            AC Back: Soft Off
            [...]
            For what it's worth, my UD3R system has E8500 Wolfdale, 2x2GB G Skill DDR2-1100 (F2-8800CL5D-4GBP), Winfast 8800GTS, OCZ 700W PSU plus more hard disk space than you could shake a stick at (4TB+) in a Lian Li 70 series case.
            Yes, same memory as you have but on slots 1+3 in my case (instead of 0+2) but I have the same problem described in this post and to Gigabyte support:
            Under Vista, I am able to go to sleep mode S1 (bios Option, fans still running), but there are video corruptions after coming back from S1 sleep state - white vertical lines over desktop and windows.

But more importantly, sleep mode S3 doesn't work : the screen goes to blank, and after 2 seconds (without touching mouse neither keyboard of course) : it goes back to normal display / not suspended.
            (I tried with D.E.S. on/off and different bios options like EIST on/off without success. CPU Throttling always off.)

Would there be a new Bios/Chipset to solve this S3 sleep/suspend issue?
            Other than that I am fully happy with this motherboard and all functionalities (EIST, Dynamic.Energy.Saver., 2*Bios, stable!, etc...)

Many thanks,best regards.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Model Name : GA-EP45-UD3R(rev. 1.0)
            --------------------------
            M/B Rev : 1.1
            BIOS Ver : F5
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            VGA Brand : ATi Model : Sapphire HD4870 512Mb
            CPU Brand : Intel Model : Q6600 Speed : 3Ghz
            Operation System : Vista 32-bit SP :
            Memory Brand : GSkill Type : DDRII
            Memory Size : 2*2Gb Speed : 1066Mhz
            Power Supply : 500 W

I have the latest bios and latest chipset drivers 2008/10/15 Intel INF installation 9.1.0.1007 (2.34 MB) from your Support page.
            Their reply:
            Do examine the display driver, you are using the latest version off ati website for your OS type?
            Do note that S3 does relate to memory since it's suspend to RAM, examine your memory and test with single module. If there are 1gb modules available do try testing with it as well to isolate the issue
            So, it is supposed to work fine.
            I may try slots 0+2 like you and also only 1*2Gb stick instead of the 2 sticks.
            Maybe problem comes from Vista 32bits as it recognizes less than the 4Gb (3.25Gb +/-) causing the 'Suspend to RAM' problem - I didn't hear about Vista 64bits having this same suspend issue yet from the forums on the GA-EP45-UD3R?!

Ubuntu manages to suspend to RAM but never wakes up. (Just normal boot. Or another time it was giving me an infinite loop error on USB device/white text messages scrolling on black screen.)
            Last edited by jerom; 01-20-2009, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Got news: I left the 2*2Gb memory sticks on slots 0+2 (the red ones and not yellow ones in my case) but changed the Voltage : 2.2V instead of 1.9V...
              And the S3 sleep mode now works perfectly in Vista 32bit !
              (+no problem with wake up, after 1 hour or after 1 night)

The memory was perfectly stable with 1.9V (and cooler I can imagine) as I tested with memtest86+ and in Vista, but it needs more to be able to suspend in S3 mode apparently.

Edit: also works fine with 2.0V for memory. (Only 1.9V was making problem with S3 sleep/suspend mode.)
              Last edited by jerom; 01-21-2009, 01:14 PM.

Comment

However it still shuts off the computer under Ubuntu Linux x64 (8.10) instead of going to S3 standby mode.
                I am a bit disappointed with this version of Ubuntu (8.04 was better, and Linux Mint 5 or 6 is a more polished alternative).

Comment

Thought Id update everyone on the situation. I just upgraded the RAM in computer from 2x1GB to 2x2GB DDR2. Similar to the situation I was having with the 2GB chips I borrowed from another computer, with the new 2GB chips the computer will attempt standby but reboot loop before a wake event can even be used. This occurs whether I am using both chips in dual chan on red/yello banks, or even if I only have 1 chip installed. So 3 diff brands of memory produce 3 different results but not the expected results.
                  gskill 1gb chip: computer shuts down instead of going into standby, wake not possible
                  ocz 2gb chip: computer goes into standby but reboot loop upon wake
                  patriot 2gb chip: computer reboot loops while in standby, wake not possible

Comment

Yes, after overclocking S3 may not work fully/properly yet in the UD3 models, I know they are still working on the BIOS's. So that is likely what you are experiencing.

Have you tried the latest BIOS? If not, give it a shot and see if it is any better >>>

F6 and F7 are posted here

If you think you may need help with your settings let me know, as they do have to be pretty stable for S3 to even have a chance at working

Comment

Fwiw, using an E7400, EP45-UD3R, and OCZ 2x1GB PC8500 @2.08v., at anywhere from stock speed to an 800Mhz overclock; I've used S3 (sleep) almost daily and never have a problem resuming. The PC wakes and brings me right back to a login on WinXP. Never a reboot or problem with it.

If you do flash your BIOS (and OC at all)... you'll lose stability going from F6 to F7. I'd stay w/F6. (just my $.02 - gotta spend it now & then). GL
                      Last edited by Rob E.; 03-09-2009, 01:50 AM.
                      E7400 - GA-EP45-UD3R - Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX - OCZ2N1066SR2GK (2x1GB, 5-5-5-15 PL5) - GeForce 9400 GT.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                        Yes, after overclocking S3 may not work fully/properly yet in the UD3 models, I know they are still working on the BIOS's. So that is likely what you are experiencing.

Have you tried the latest BIOS? If not, give it a shot and see if it is any better >>>

F6 and F7 are posted here

If you think you may need help with your settings let me know, as they do have to be pretty stable for S3 to even have a chance at working
                        Hmm I dont have anything in this computer OC'ed & I do have the latest BIOs (F7). I would appreciate any settings you know of that may fix this issue.

Comment

I have to take back some of what I said, I guess I was wrong - live & learn. My PC's recently had some problems waking-up from S3. Apparently the OC was too high, or maybe the Vcore (for that OC) wasn't enough, but the computer - just kept cycling - and wouldn't come back up. I had to reboot.

I'm still certain that with enough juice (Vcore), the 560Mhz OC doesn't affect the S3 - sleep/resume at all.
                          E7400 - GA-EP45-UD3R - Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX - OCZ2N1066SR2GK (2x1GB, 5-5-5-15 PL5) - GeForce 9400 GT.

Comment

Originally posted by klingon View Post
                            Hmm I dont have anything in this computer OC'ed & I do have the latest BIOs (F7). I would appreciate any settings you know of that may fix this issue.

Can you please post me your full specs (Link to ram as well if you can) then, and give me your settings and I will have a look. You should have no issues since you are not overclocking.

You do flash properly right? Just checking to be sure

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
                            [b][u]MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)[/u][/b]
                            Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
                            CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 
                            Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
                            CPU Frequency ...........................: 

[b][u]Clock Chip Control [/u][/b]
                            [b][u]Standard Clock Control[/u][/b]
                            CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
                            CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz
                            [B]PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100[/B]

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

[b][u]Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter][/u][/b]
                            CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
                            PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
                            CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
                            MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

[b][u]DRAM Performance Control[/u][/b][u][/u]
                            [B]Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD][/B]
                            Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                            (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
                            System Memory Multiplier ..............: 
                            Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 
                            DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

[b]Standard Timing Control[/b]
                            CAS Latency Time........................
                            tRCD .........................................
                            tRP'...........................................
                            tRAS..........................................

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first.  Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

[b][u]Advanced Timing Control[/u][/b]
                            tRRD...........................................
                            tWTR..........................................
                            tWR............................................
                            tRFC...........................................
                            tRTP...........................................
                            Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

[u][b]Driving Strength Profiles[/b][/u][b][/b]
                            Driving Strength ............................

[b]Channel A[/b]
                            Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
                             tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
                            tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                             tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                             tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                            Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
                            Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                            Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                            Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
                            Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
                            Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b]Channel B[/b]
                            Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
                             tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
                            tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                             tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                             tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                            Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
                            Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                            Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                            Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
                            Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
                            Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b][U]Motherboard Voltage Control[/U][/b][U][/U]
                            Voltage Type.���... Manual
                            [b]CPU[/b]
                            CPU Vcore�.���.........................:Auto if not overclocking, if you are overclocking please do find and set your own voltages

CPU Termination�..... 1.200V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.2-1.5 depending on Vcore, try to keep at least .1 under vcore.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU PLL�������....1.500V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.5-1.65.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU Referen.����....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

CPU Reference2���,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

[b]MCH/ICH[/b]
                            MCH Core�����.....1.100V...........: << 
                            MCH Reference�.��.0.800V...........; <<< Leave
                            MCH/DRAM Ref.�......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
                            ICH I/O������.....1.500V............: <<< Leave
                            ICH Core����...��1.100V............: <<< Leave

[b]DRAM[/b]
                            DRAM Voltage ��....1.800V............: 
                            DRAM Termination .�0.900V............: <<< Leave
                            Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
                            Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

[b][U]Advanced Settings[/U][/b][U][/U]
                            Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                            No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                            CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                            C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                            x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                            CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                            CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                            Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

[b][U]Integrated Peripherals[/U][/b][U][/U]
                            Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

For whatever it's worth, if this is of any help at all... I've made a few minor changes and confirmed stability with the Intel burn test (passed, but it took a while to find the right settings - which before had passed OCCT & prime95 but failed IBT - a new pgm for me, which I'm just recently using).

EP45-UD3R, E7400 (2.8Ghz. stock) running @ 324 FSB (3.4Ghz - 1.2875 Vcore in BIOS), OCZ pc-8500 2x1GB (5-5-5-15 PL5 @2.08V) with or without C1E & EIST enabled in the BIOS but, if enabled and using DES - you need to turn off DES prior to using S3 - or it might hang on resume.

Using and resuming from S3 is no problem, even OC'ed. F7 BIOS does not work well for me, and personally I wouldn't reco it even though it's the latest. I've reverted to F6. If you're not overclocking - maybe - F7 is OK.

This is under WinXP, so I guess Vista might present a different set of issues. GL

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X