Cannot see NAS in Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot see NAS in Vista

I have a WDG1NS1000 NAS drive plugged in a hub which works fine under XP and everyone can see it (visible from a Mac as well). However, I've installed Vista on another machine and I can't see the NAS at all. I've tried turning off the firewall, uninstalling anti-virus, reinstalling network drivers, etc. but no luck.

BUT, when I disconnect the hub from the rest of the network (so that only the machine and the NAS are plugged into the hub) I can see it no problem!

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Cannot see NAS in Vista

Try turning off "password protected sharing" in "network and sharing center" if you have not done so already. What firewall program are you using BTW?

Comment

Thanks for the tip.
      I catually found out that it was my McAfee preventing access. Even if I turned off all protection including firewalls, it just wouldn't connect with McAfee installed. I uninstalled that and put in Avast antivirus and everything works fine!
      Thanks again!

Comment

On most NAS devices, you have to login (using the IP for the NAS) using a web browser or a supplied "management" program.
        Once you have set up the NAS to the correct workgroup and have added the FOLDERS which you want to use, you map to one of the FOLDERS within the drive.
        You don't actually map to the NAS but to a folder within the NAS.

To map to a folder, open network places, you should see the device, click on the device to open it, right click on the folder you want to map as a network drive, you will see the OPTION to "MAP AS NETWORK DRIVE" just click that link.. You can then assign it a drive letter. Be sure the check the little box "reconnect at logon"

Thats all there is to it. Check the devices manual for setup information.
        Last edited by Darthtanion; 07-12-2009, 07:07 AM. Reason: Removing questionable links

Comment

Working...
        X