EX58-UD3R Memory Issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-UD3R Memory Issues...

I just put together a build using a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R board, i7 920, and 3x1GB of Crucial DDR3 1066 memory. I have previously used the exact same memory in another build with the EX58-UD5 motherboard with zero issues. However, with the UD3R, the BIOS is only showing 2GB of RAM available. The M.I.T. settings show all three slots populated, but I only get 2GB of RAM available. The three white slots are populated as indicated in the manual and I have flashed the BIOS to F3 as well. I've reset the BIOS using the jumper and the battery, but still no go. At this point I am wondering if there is an incompatibility with the RAM since I have swapped the sticks back and forth between slots with no change. I've also tried booting with a single stick in the first slot, but the board refuses to post that way. This is the memory:

Newegg.com - Crucial 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Using CPU-Z, it shows 3072 MB of RAM, but at 533MHz?? Turns out the multiplier is being set to 12 and the CPU is running at 1.6GHz... strange that it even works like this... I have some G.skill RAM on order that is compatible according to posted reviews, so perhaps I'll know by tomorrow if the RAM is the culprit.

Any ideas what the problem is here? Windows installed just fine and so did everything else. Computer is usable, but of course, not at full speed.

Thanks!
    Last edited by UMD; 01-22-2009, 10:38 PM.

Re: EX58-UD3R Memory Issues...

OK so after some more testing, it seems that the board will post with a single stick from slots 3_2 and 3_4, but not 3_1. Any of the three sticks allow the board to post from those slots, but the first slot never shows up. At this point, I am leaning towards this being a board issue. I have tried repeatedly flashing and resetting the BIOS with a single slot posting, and then adding memory, but no matter what I do, the first slot never posts or allows operation...

Comment

So right before I decide to repack the board up to RMA it, I decided to examine the CPU socket CAREFULLY under a bright light. As it turns out, there was ONE PIN on the very edge of the socket that was skewed no more than a mm off axis from the others. I gently straighten it out, and give it another shot, and the first RAM slot is alive now.

This was a completely unnerving debug. I am fairly certain that I didn't bend the pin when I first installed the CPU. My reasoning being that if I were to somehow skew the CPU placement, more than a single pin would have been misaligned. This was exactly one pin at the very edge in the center of the row. If anyone from Gigabyte is listening, this issue should be noted... I don't know how many other memory issues for the x58 have been a direct result of something like this, but when the memory controller is now on the CPU itself, it tends to reduce the number of points at which such failures can occur.

Comment

Hey,

I'm faced with a similar problem. I made a thread about it here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ex58...-memory-32154/

Only difference is...mine works ok (i.e. cpu displays 3gb ram) for a good 2 months but after I re-installed the OS, it doesn't correctly display the memory anymore. Well actually it does sometimes, but very rare occurrences like after a re-boot or after a memory diagnostic re-boot.

Comment

Working...
        X