Clear All

• Giga GA-EP45-UD3P prebuild questions

I am currently in the final research for a new rig

Q9550 E0
    GA-EP45-UD3P
    Vista 64
    Cooler master RP-550 PS
    Cooler master Hyper Z600
    Video yet TBD but will be GT9800 line most likely.

Mushkin Ram 8 Gig (here in lies the question)

I posted into the Mushkin forums and got some answers that I was hoping for some clarifications on, as well as a MOBO question I can't seem to get answered. The easy one first.

What is the spacing on the DDRII slots on the MOBO? Are they at least a minimum of 2mm for ram width?

Below is the quote from Mushkin that I found interesting and would like you guys input on this concidering a 8 Gig setup.

"996599 or 996619 are your best bets on DDR2. I've seen some kits up in the mid 1100's.

PRoblem with 8GB of 1066 is a lot of boards second channel isn't designed for high performance stuff, and sometimes the memory controller just craps itsself when it tries to run 8GB at 1066. Some folks have luck with 1040 @ 8GB, but again I can't vouch for it personally"

I posted these basic questions to the tech dept at Giga and got no reply, and I found this forum has its own Guru from Giga so thought this might be the place.

Let me know what you think. The system will be run with a mid range OC (normally I run them up about 50% of what people are getting as the max, hoping for longevity).

I am open for suggestions on the MOBO, I am a newbie to GIGA, I have always OCed Abit stuff but think GIGA is the way to go now.

Thanks

Trav

Re: Giga GA-EP45-UD3P prebuild questions

Are you set on a passive cooler? From the reviews I saw(just a quick few) they say that it only recommended for a dual core or 85w processor.
    Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 01-23-2009, 03:14 PM.
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

I did a lot of research on that (data from Frosty), and in a passive mode it out cools many active coolers. I was going to use it with the 120mm fan that can be mounted. I figured that the high capacity of it in a passive configuration would allow it to work quite well with the fan mounted and running at a low RPM.

Truthfully I am looking for input here outside of the RAM questions. This is the first quad I have built and not sure of the true thermal characteristics of the chip.

Trav

Comment

Well I can only add a few thoughts, personally I have a Xigmatek S1283 and its the best bang for the buck cooler on the market as long as you get a decent price on it, also there is/was a knockoff version that had the same performance but slightly cheaper. Anyway this cooler is fine for my E8400 even up to 4.5Ghz which seem to be a brick wall for me currently. Anyway this cooler is quiet with the fan on max.

If you looking for 4.5Ghz on a quad then it may not be enough, but 4.0Ghz should not be an issue on the 45nm quads(q9550/q9650), I see many of those quads(mainly 9650's) running the same clocks at the same voltages of my E8400. They truly are great cpu's and I have considered getting one but could not max it out I dont think on this heatsink(may still get one though).

On the memory I would have told you just to go for something that can do DDR 1000, but my current finding are that this board loves the 2.40B strap which runs the memory at 1.2x the FSB, so having DDR1200 mem is a good thing on this board.
        Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 01-24-2009, 09:02 PM.
        New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

I did some further reading on the RAM and found the Mushkin 996599 sets are well liked by the MOBO. Seems that 8Gig sets are plugging in and running at 1066 at boot, so there must be a good fit with that pairing. I will let you know how the Cooler is, I got a deal on it with a combo deal with a decent CM case. Unfortunately the RAM is out of stock for a couple of days so I guess I will have a new rig built and can't power it till the RAM shows up.

What version of Bios are you running in your rig ATM?

Trav

Comment

Working...
          X