EP45 DS3P Perpetual reboot problem :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45 DS3P Perpetual reboot problem :(

Hi guys, i'm really hoping someone can help me with this as my rig is my pride and joy :(

Spec:
    q6600 @3ghz (8x375)
    EP45 DS3P
    Corsair TWIN2x4096 6400 c5
    Club3d HD4870 1gb
    Samsung spinpoint 750gb
    Maxtor ?? 160gb
    Samsung litescribe dvdrw
    Thermaltake Tsunami case
    Thermaltake 550w modular psu
    Vista ultimate 64 bit

I built this rig in mid november, and have had no problems except for booting from sleep mode which it just gave perpetual reboots untill a power off at the wall then it was fine.
    However, yesterday i was playing c.o.d 5 for around 5 minutes when i got a momentary b.s.o.d which then turned to a corrupt screen with corrup sounds coming from speakers and froze like that.
    I powered the system off from the psu switch as case button wasn't responding. But since then all i can get is a perpetual rebooting of the system of between half a second to around 10 seconds in varying durations all with no posts to the screen or beeps.
    I have tried various ways to clear the cmos i.e remove battery, use the clear button etc, even left it over night but upon powering back up all i get is the same continuos rebooting/resetting :(
    I am hoping my cpu isn't fried?!?!? but seeing as how it ran mostly at 60c at load in games i cant see how??
    I have noticed that on attempting to boot the cpu fan does not kick straight in and takes a while to spin up? But im not sure if this is normal or not? Also just before the system resets itself the CPU_LED light flashes :(

Someone please help? If it is a fried cpu how do i stand for an rma with intel seeing as i have overclocked this chip?? (albeit only moderately) And with out its orignial packaging to return it in?
    Please Please help me get to the bottom of this. Many thanks in advance, and thanks for reading.

Re: EP45 DS3P Perpetual reboot problem :(

I would try one step at time starting from zero, even removing the board from the case and trying to kick the board from an isolated table. Remove all things except one memory checking also if the CPU is correctly connected in its socket (remove it out to check if a bended lead is found).
    Check also one memory at time, if the first one fails to load.
    Strongly advised to use another PSU, certified good in replace of the main one.
    See if that way you can enter on BIOS page loading optimized defaults.

If still on error, mount everything again on and pack it back to the seller.
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Cheers for the response svcglobal, i have already tried with just one stick of ram, no hard drives, and have tried to re-seat the CPU to no avail

I will as you have said try the board out of the case just to be sure but im not going to build my hopes up, and i'm going to throw my psu at some spare bits to try it (an x4 phenom 9650 also on a gigabyte board with 1gb kingston value 6400), and put the g'card in there too to test it but i have no way of testing the cpu in another board as the ds3p is my only s775. I could borrow an e8400 but i dont want to risk frying someone elses cpu if the board is faulty.

I also bought the psu, and case from one supplier and the rest from elsewhere; so not so good for returning fully built.

Emodder.com where i got the board, cpu, ram, hd, dvd rewriter and g'card from have an rma option still open to me if i log in against my order, so thats no issue, but i dont have the cpu box to repackage it in, or the blank that goes in the cpu slot on the board; both of which i apparently need according to the manufacturer so as not to void my warranty? I foolishly threw them out after a week or so of building my rig thinking everything was good (so thats one lesson learned ) i do however have the board box and insulated wrapping.
      If i could get round the packaging problem i could rma the board and cpu i guess for them to check.
      Thanks for your suggestions, i will give them a go tonight and let you know the results.

Comment

Thankyou svcglobal, you helped me find the problem! I took everything out and put it back one at a time as you suggested, and found it to be a bad stick of ram!! When i checked the ram last night i was obviously far too tired and tried the same stick twice i think??

So now thw question.... What are corsair like with rma's? or should i go through my supplier?? (emodder.com)

Thankyou again.

Comment

Great! Even if you will not be able to return that faulty memory card to the seller, your lost will be minimum compared with a possible CPU damage.
          Try first to manage the bad RAM stick with your seller, much easy and fast way to have it replaced.
          Anyway, try also to clean all memory contacts with a pencil rubber, could be finger oil covering one or more contact.
          I can't guest if it that was your case but, like halogen/xenon headlights car's bulb, as general rule, next time try to not handle any electronic contact with exposed fingers (human uric acid easily found on skin can even corrode copper leads).

BTW, did I understood correctly? Had you MB 8GB ram installed?
          i5-4690K + Corsair H90
          Sapphire Radeon R7 240
          Corsair CX750M

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

I always try not to touch the business end of any component :)

Oh and i see why you thought there was 8gig in my rig, it is a very misleading product ID but it is the name of the 2 stick matched pair i bought. So it is infact just 4 gig, i dont think i could justify the price of 8 gig for games and the odd bit of work for not a lot if any extra performance :)

I'm thinking of asking them if i can upgrade on my rma to some 8500 ram?? :) so i can perhaps push the overclock a bit further.
            How do you find your Zalman?? is it any different to the stock hsf noise wise? I dont want anything noisier to add to the already fairly noisy g'card fan. I was stuck between the Zalman you have and the Thermalright ultra 120 extreme.
            I read the 'True' to be the better of the two for cooling but i dont think i will go that extreme in the overclock to be honest so the Zalman may just be the tool. Plus its cheaper :) .
            I'm not sure how much further than 800mhz i could push the 6400 ram i have? Especially as one gave up on me running at 750mhz at a stock 1.8v :'(

Comment

Last edited by svcglobal; 02-02-2009, 01:55 PM.
              i5-4690K + Corsair H90
              Sapphire Radeon R7 240
              Corsair CX750M

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. Ive had 3 nights of power shortages :(
                I cleaned the contacts up but no joy with the ram. but yesterday morning my samsung writemaster decided to stop reading discs and just acts like every thing is scratched!! Im finding this most bizzarre!?!?! Perhaps there is a motherboard or psu fault after all that is causing these issues. I have also been experiencing boot up freezes to both xp32 and vista 64 which are on 2 different hard drives. but after a restart it will enter windows just fine, as though it doesnt like cold boots. Im not at all happy :( . Its also the first time i have spent decent money on a good psu. I normally just get a cheap high wattage unit and have never had problems before. Maybe the 550w of the thermaltake isn't up to the job?? but i cant see why not as nothing in my rig really draws that much power.

Comment

That was is not first time that I read EP45 boards with problems with restarts or cold boot.
                  And yes, some first quality PSU behaves worst that cheap ones - I am using a bottom line $35 CWT that is doing its job just perfect, measuring the voltages output are everyone just at the middle of the tolerances, even with heavy load. Amazing PSU...

The only way to find out in home and with bare hands is making substitution of every suspicious hardware by one considered good.
                  As you already saw, there is a bad item on your equation, why you don't take also advices also from your seller? Do you live in US?
                  i5-4690K + Corsair H90
                  Sapphire Radeon R7 240
                  Corsair CX750M

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

No, i live in the uk. The voltages seem to be fairly stable, but something isn't right somewhere. Ive also noted that my usb WD passport hard drive sometimes disconnets and then reconnects itsself again as though there is some power loss somewhere but i cannot see any drop but the software i am using only records the last 60 seconds at a time on voltages. Can you recommend any good software for monitoring voltage perhaps?? I usually stick with a cheap psu and either Abit or asus motherboards, but i went and bought 2 gigabytes ones on recommendation with good psu's. i havent built the second rig yet so dont know as for the reliability of that one yet. My rig yet to build is for a media pc and for the kids to use, its a phenom 9650 with 2gb kvr 800, geforce 7600 gs, on a m68sm-s2l. but only a 450w psu. so i cannot even trade parts to find a reliable solution.
                    We have had a lot of power outages of late with the snow and icy weather, perhaps small surges could be to blame?? I can understand the ram failing from voltage fluctuation but, i cannot understand how it would affect a dvd rewriter from being able to recognize a disc??? Perhaps its just a coincidence and they are mearly both defective?? Im going to wait fror my rma'd items to return (cant wait, 2gb isn't enough for GTAiv with everything on full :( ) and then see how things go. Out of interest what are your average Voltages at??? My 12v rail doesnt ever go above 11.9 where as my Abit rig (old athlon 64 3400) is around 12.1??

Comment

I see. In US the vast majority used to buy at NewEgg that is great in doing RMA. Usually no questions asked.

Nevertheless, the best thing to measure those voltages is using a small, hand meter/voltmeter, do not trust on the on-board Analog/Digital converters and linked software. From China you will able to buy a good one for less than 20 pounds.
                      A good PSU will offer 5% tolerance or even less, so these values found are good enough IF these A/D converters can considered fine.
                      Glitches on the 12 volt line can be prejudicial for any drive, specially DVD ones. They are very sensible to instant voltage variations.

Another thing to consider is Windows be corrupted since its installation due the memory error caused by the bad stick. Try to reinstall everything again, even with a single memory. Do not care this time to speed but stability. Could work.
                      You can add a new stick a later time as soon you get a new one.
                      i5-4690K + Corsair H90
                      Sapphire Radeon R7 240
                      Corsair CX750M

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

After a bit of searching a have found there is a fault with the drive that is wideo spread, and even samsung admit it :)

"""
                        My e-mail adres end with @hanaro.eu because hanaro is the European service center for Samsung ODD's and that's also where the helpdesk is based.
                        More information about Hanaro can be found on ..:::: Hanaro Computer Europe B.V. ::::.. Hanaro is a leading European provider of After Sales Services to the IT industry, and its customers

Regarding this post: There are some issues with the earlier firmware versions of the SH-S223F and SH-S223Q which can result in a defective drive.
                        It's therefor highly recommended that every user update's there firmware immidiately to SB02.
                        For further questions please let me know and I will be happy to answer any questions regarding this issue, or other Samsung burner related questions which there might be.

Anyways I want to thank all the people behind the firmware page a lot, and the Samsung OMS Department is very thankfull that the forum is willing to help us to inform the people regarding this issue.
                        """"

Was one of the posts found. Guess it was all just coincidence after all?? my, my. what a strange week i've had for these reasons plus many others :)

Comment

I'm a domestic electrician so i have the tools i need to test output from the device but it wont give prolonged readings with the system under load like is needed. Software would be only option. But no need, emodder.com where i purchased my parts are willing to rma both items. :) So i guess all is good :)

Comment

As for corruption in the istalled software you are probably on the money!!
                            Looks like i will have to wait while monday to rma my items now though so ill have to throw a spare gb in to bring it upto 3gb at least for the weekend :)

Comment

Oh yes, bad firmware can ruin everything. I used two Seagate HD on RAID0 and every week I have had an unexplained RAID0 error.
                              I was thinking about the culprit to be the INTEL chip and drivers but, one day, tired of reformat and recover backup of everything, changed both to Samsung.
                              Absolutely NO more issues and that change to Samsung was 8 months ago.

Anyway, please wait until the your system is fully stable before any firmware upgrade. With the unstable computer the risk to do a corruption on the firmware transfer is quite possible to be made.

BTW, I know emodder.com, our Frankfurt facility always do order on those guys. You are protected for sure and good luck.
                              i5-4690K + Corsair H90
                              Sapphire Radeon R7 240
                              Corsair CX750M

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Working...
                              X