My 1st OC, Help me OC my Q8200 with Asus P5Q Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st OC, Help me OC my Q8200 with Asus P5Q Pro

Allright this is my 1st OC I've been messing with it and soo far seems stable to me but fails the prime95 with the rounding error.

Code:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 32bit
    OS Service Pack: Service Pack 3
    CPU Type: QuadCore Q8200, 2.33 Ghz
    Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro
    Gfx Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT  (512 MB)
    Memory: 4GB [COLOR=black]DDR2 PC8500 1066MHz Crucial[/COLOR]
    CPU Cooler: Freezer7 Pro
    Right now I got it overclocked to 3.02ghz with 1.365 volts to CPU and 1:1 FSB:MEM ratio.

I need some help, I've seen someone else on these forums with same CPU get 475 FSB with 1.264 volts and ran Prime95 for hours and it was stable. I want to get mine to at least 433FSB.

The post I got the info from was http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/help...-please-28995/

My P5Q Pro motherboard is a bit diff on the settings so I really don't know what to touch and what not so I left everything on AUTO except the volt, FSB, and some of the other stuff that went manual.

This is what my bios looks like, if someone can let me know what I can change in there id be more then happy to punch in the numbers and test it out. I know if I touch something that I don't understand it won't go so well.

Thank You!!!

Much appriciated!

Re: My 1st OC, Help me OC my Q8200 with Asus P5Q Pro

Wrong forum dude! ;) I can still give you a few hints though.

First we need to know if 1.365V is the voltage in BIOS or in CPU-Z? There's often quite a difference between the CPU-Z "real" value and the BIOS setting, the CPU-Z value is the one that counts though. So what is the value udner laod in CPU-Z?

Did you increase your RAM voltage? If not this may be your problem.

Also set the tRFC RAM timing (now at 44) to 58 or 62, this often helps. Same with static tRead, set that to 10 for now.

Comment

I don't know anything about Asus BIOS, nor is this Asus support forum.....

But I can say it looks to me like you are using way to many AUTO Settings for a overclock

You will need to set your own NB/FSB Voltage, VTT Voltage and CPU Voltage, as well as ram voltage. And you will need to change your memory strap to 2.40 not sure what that is in Asus, but the speed at 433 FSB would be 1040 ram using that memory multi. It will be on the 333 strap

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
        Wrong forum dude! ;)
        LOL Sorry, when I posted it was too late and couldn't find the delete button. Anyways the voltage is in the bios voltage not in CPUZ.

Right now I set the FSB down to 390, voltage (in bios) to 1.35 and left the memory on AUTO... Well actually everything on auto but the voltage and fsb. I am running Prime95 right now just to see if it can run for 5hr or so being stable.

Comment

Well the only items I have that are the same as yours are the cpu and graphics card.
          It will run stable at 3.5ghz (on my board) for hrs on prime 95.
          settings on the cpu that work for me are
          1.40v or 1.39375v(load line calibration enabled)
          mch(northbridge) 1.38v

It will run as high as 3.57 ghz for me ,but at that point the voltages are getting higher+ temps.
          Also my 800mhz mem starts to get flaky around 1020mhz .

I would suggest you get the memory running happily at 1000mhz first then start to adjust your mbrd settings to get the cpu speed up.
          Also your max cpu temps are ok for 2.8 ghz but u will probably need an aftermarket cpu cooler to go 3ghz and above.

Best bet would be to check out "asus forums" or google using "intel Q8200 Asus P5Q" as the search option.
          Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
          Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
          Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
          8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
          60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
          GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
          Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
          http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Allright thank you! Prime95 ran for 5hr 13 mins without problems at 2.7ghz, so I will play around with numbers when I get home tonight from work

PIC From running Prime95 for 5 hours 20 min's.

Last edited by elitescouter; 02-20-2009, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Good luck with this overclock, looks like you are getting somewhere now!

Comment

Working...
              X