GA-MA78GM-S2H Windows XP installation problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA78GM-S2H Windows XP installation problem

I got a Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA78GM-S2H last august 2008 for my sister. Along with AMD X2 5200+, 2x 1gb 667Mhz transcend ram, Coolermaster RS-500-PCAR-A3 psu, seagate 320gb SATA HDD.

I installed Win XP Pro on it and it was working perfectly without an issue till last week when suddenly it wouldn't boot.

So i got the system back to my home and tried reinstalling Win XP pro. the installtion wouldnt complete. The first part of the installation to format the HDD partition and copying the installation files into the HDD went fine.

The system rebooted to complete the installtion. After the GUI loads and the installtion starts at "39 Minutes to go" the whole system would either power down to a halt or go in a reboot loop.

I thought it was a win XP issue and tried installing Ubuntu and that too wouldn't load the live cd.

I first thought it was a HDD issue and used the HDD in my AMD X2 4200+ system with GA-MA51GM-S2G, 1Gb 667Mhz ram and installed Win XP without a problem.

I even replaced the PSU and RAM into my MA51GM and installed Win XP. the installation on the new HDD went fine perfectly. I ran Prime95 on the RAM for 5-6hrs and gave me no error.

I suspect it is a mother board issue. is there a solution for this? or should i go in for a replacement?

Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H Windows XP installation problem

Well are you running a really powerful video card on the motherboard? My guess would be to check the bios and find out what mode your sata controller is in. the new 780g motherboards give you the option if running in native ide mode. Maybe this would help you get farther in windows XP installtion.

Also checking the temps for the cpu in the bios might help as well. if you see your temps getting 60c plus but maybe you should reseat the cpu cause if its getting too hot that may cause some issues.

You could also try only using one memory stick to see if that helps with stability too. make sure your memory timings are not too agressive maybe lower them would help.

hmm can't think of anything else right now but i thnk messing with the bios is where i would be looking for sure.
    AMD Phenom II 710 [email protected]
    Wintec Ampx 1333 DDR3 4GB
    GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    ATI/AMD 4870x2 videocard
    Coolit Freezone elite TEC chilling waterloop
    1 DVD burner
    1 36gb WD rapter hard drive
    2x 640GB WD in RAID 0
    Cooler Master 700W SilentPro PSU
    Watercooling video card and cpu only.

Comment

Im assuming u werent using the pc?.
      But yes it does sound like mbrd .Since u have 2 pcs to test things did you put all the bits u tested back in the MA78?.
      Oh reset bios to defaults in it and see what happens then.
      There isnt much else left aside from cpu or graphics,if it isnt the board.
      Unless some different components.. wireless mouse/keyboard ,new usb stick? anything like that?
      Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
      Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
      Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
      8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
      60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
      GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
      Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
      http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

i havent got a video card, i am just using the onboard gfx card. i checked the settings on Bios

On Chip SATA controller -> Enabled
        On Chip SATA Type -> Native IDE
        On Chip SATA Port -> IDE or As SATA Type

I am not using a wireless keyboard or mouse in that. i even tried the bare minimum configuration to install win XP with jus the monitor, KB mouse connected.

I am using the new RAM got for the new System in my computer, there has been no issues of any sorts till now.

I am not sure, as to what I would give as a "problem Description" when returning the MB? Does "Unable to Install any OS" a valid reason for a replacement?

Comment

it does sound like you have tried everything.. The only thing i can think of is to just make sure you have nothing in your pci slots. I had a friend whos pc refused to full install vista and would crash during the install or as soon as he got to the welcome screen of the install. after like 5 installs and trying all kinds of stuff we determined that he had a pci wireless card that was not vista compatible. as soon as he took that card out.. vista installed flawlessly.

I know you tested the memory in another system but maybe running memtest86 on the 780g motherboard might turn up some errors. in which case it would be memory motherboard incompatbility maybe?

Just thinking of any last minute things to try before you call in for replacement. =P
          GA-MA790XT-UD4P
          ATI/AMD 4870x2 videocard
          1 DVD burner
          2x 640GB WD in RAID 0

Comment

thanks dred. I will try to run memtest86 tonite and check out if it churns out anything!

Keeping my fingers crossed...

I dont want to send it for replacement and let it backfire on me..
            Last edited by markiv; 03-01-2009, 12:54 AM. Reason: Edited smiley

Comment

Is your XP Install CD a Sp1 or greater? If not this may also be the issue, you cannot install XP on a PCIE machine unless the Install CD is SP1 or greater.

If you are not sure you need to check it out as this alone may be the issue. Not sure why Ubuntu would have issues though, but I do know alot of boards give errors with Ubuntu so that just may be a issue with Ubuntu itself rather then the board

And yes, I do see you are using onboard graphics, but the issue mentioned above will still cause XP to fail to install even if the PCIE slots are not in use

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                Is your XP Install CD a Sp1 or greater? If not this may also be the issue, you cannot install XP on a PCIE machine unless the Install CD is SP1 or greater.

If you are not sure you need to check it out as this alone may be the issue. Not sure why Ubuntu would have issues though, but I do know alot of boards give errors with Ubuntu so that just may be a issue with Ubuntu itself rather then the board

And yes, I do see you are using onboard graphics, but the issue mentioned above will still cause XP to fail to install even if the PCIE slots are not in use
                I am using Win XP SP2 Pro. all the PCI E slots are free. Will there still be an issue?

Comment

Hmm, well That should be fine then

Are you SURE this XP install disk is still good, I mean is this the one you had a fine install with? If not can you test it on another PC to be sure? If you can test two things, one that it will boot to it of course, and two that it will fully install XP

If you just burnt it, did you use the SLOWEST Speed?

Have you tried other SATA Slots?

What you could do, I know not the best advice, but you may be able to just install on your PC and move the disk over and let it reinstall the necessary drivers

Comment

The problem got resolved :) the service centre said it was a faulty processor carriage..

But i hv a new issue.. i am trying to install the drivers. but i am unable to get the onboard sound to get it working. I hv a 2.1 speaker.

I tried flashing the bios and upgraded to newest bios. The device manager doesnt report any fault with the onboard sound. the realtek HD audio driver is installed and i can see th icon in the Control panel and in the bottom sys tray.

When i tested the sound using the Audio I/O tab in the realtek control panel i get the sound. But when i go to control panel > sound and audio device it reports No Audio Device and all the fields are greyed out.

when i uninstall the audio driver in device manager i get a message "failed to Uninstal device. The device may be used to boot up the computer".

So, I hv uninstalled thru control panel and installed the Audio driver in the Motherboard CD many times. but no success. Any help on this?
                    Last edited by markiv; 03-21-2009, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Get the latest drivers from realtek and see if that helps. I think most of the gigabyte motherboards are shipping with the high definition audio codec so here is the direct link to driver selection.

Realtek

If its the wrong one maybe you need the AC97 audio codec on realtek's site. So try the high def codec first. Thats usually the correct one.
                      GA-MA790XT-UD4P
                      ATI/AMD 4870x2 videocard
                      1 DVD burner
                      2x 640GB WD in RAID 0

Comment

Working...