EP45-UD3 +1066 memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3 +1066 memory?

Is anyone out there running ddr2 1066 memory at 1066mhz with 1:1 ratio .2:00 multilplier with the 533mhz cpu ref frequency or above that, on air cooling on the UD3 45 boards

If they are please post the memory type and settings even if possible.

Im just looking for some not too expensive memory that will do 533 or ideally 550+ fsb.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Re: EP45-UD3 +1066 memory?

Your CPU cannot do that. Even if your memory can run at 1066+ it's your CPU that is limiting you not your memory.
    Quads can just about do 500Mhz FSB, and that's the higher end quads (Q9550 and Q9650 in E0 stepping. YoU#re oalready running at 490MHz with a Q8200, I can guarantee you that you won#t get that CPu to 533MHz FSB with air cooling, no matter what memory you use.

Easy way to test whether it's your CPU or your memory limiting you is to increase the memory multiplier. If your memory can run at 1066+ with another multiplier then it's not the memory, it's the CPU (UD3 boards easily do 500+ FSb with a good CPu so it's not the board).

Comment

Eh?.I wasnt actually looking for opinions on my cpu,.Didnt mention it at all in my post.
      Im not posting looking for general theories.Im just looking for brands of ddr2 memory that will work with 533 or greater dialed in as the cpu/fsb reference frequency.

For information as to why:
      In my case it actually is my memorythat is limiting any further testing
      I already know my cpu will do 3.55(507x7) stable on air which isnt too bad for a quad core.My memory however wont support any testing beyond that its limited to about 1020mhz stable on cas5 no matter what speed the cpu is at and needs big voltage increases..
      I did get to boot into windows at 1066 mem speed exactly with a 2.66D multiplier on(posted about this before) using cas 6 timings 2.3v for memory and a lot of tweaking,
      That was a "Im gonna get this memory working at 1066 whatever it takes" day ,
      but as I said screen just froze after a minute or 2 .There wasnt any question of testing it.
      Being only rated at 800mhz that actually isnt bad either.
      Th gskill black PI 6400 does have a known problem getting over 1000mhz on these boards but will do 1100 on other boards.
      It could be of course that ive just been v lucky in my component choice and if I spend another $50-100 on memory I might only get the cpu to run at 3.65G but before trying id be interested to get some feedback on the type of memory im looking for.

Im merely looking for memory that is known to run at 533fsb (anything under that wouldnt be sufficiently better than my own to justify changing)or higher on the 45-UD3,and preferably at under the cost of selling my 8200 and upgrading.

If anyone out there is using/has tested ddr2 memory at 530+mhz(or above) fsb,or to be more accurate with a 530mhz+ cpu ref speed (2120fsb)on EP-45 UD3 r/p/t boards,id be obliged if they could give details or a link.
      Last edited by kick; 03-02-2009, 02:23 PM.
      Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
      Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
      Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
      8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
      60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
      GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
      Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Comment

See my signature for Crucial Testing at 1160Mhz, they also did 1200 (Not posted in the review) as would a few sets of Mushkin kits I have (not the kit in my signature review though)

Those tests were not at 500+ FSB for the review for simplicity purposes but I did run them in several instances at 500-545 FSB (Using 2.00B and 2.00D Multi) without issue

Comment

I am not an OC expert but DDR2-1066 is exactly supposed to have an FSB speed of 533MHz to MCH/NB (without any overclocking or additional voltage if you leave timings on stock). If you have Dual Channel Kit then it is exactly FSB 2132MHz capable to use it 1:1 ratio with a quadpumped 533MHz CPU FSB, isnt it?

So Nickel has probably right, it is not your RAM which can not run 1:1 ratio, if you want to have 533MHz CPU FSB to MCH/NB.
          >> The most useful guides currently on OC in addition to tweaktown sticky threads! <<

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
            Eh?.I wasnt actually looking for opinions on my cpu,.Didnt mention it at all in my post.
            Im not posting looking for general theories.Im just looking for brands of ddr2 memory that will work with 533 or greater dialed in as the cpu/fsb reference frequency.
            If your Max FSB was 507 then you won't be able to run it at 533MHz with your RAM at 1:1, that's all I'm saying. You ahve to be incredibly lucky to get a CPU that does that kinf of FSB.

Th gskill black PI 6400 does have a known problem getting over 1000mhz on these boards but will do 1100 on other boards.
            It not a known issue, it's perfectly normal. You assume that your RAM overl****s as well as the one guy who got lucky and made it to 1100. But it very likely won't, and unless you can show that it does run faster on another board it's pretty safe to assume that it won't run faster there. It's rated at 800MHz and differences in overclocking headroom are always quite big , so it's perfectly normal for your RAM to max out at 980MHz.

If you want an recommendation, get OCZ Platinum XTC 1066 2x2GB. Works for 10+ hours in Prime for me on my EP45 UD3P with default settings. Also, there are about a dozen threads in the last few days of people succesfully running kits rated at 1066MHz at their rated speed on an UD3 mainboard .There's also the official QVL list...I don't see the point of your thread here, the answers you ask for are in every other thread here.

Comment

lsdme<:Thx ill check those out

vacapp<:

Originally posted by vacapp View Post
              I am not an OC expert but DDR2-1066 is exactly supposed to have an FSB speed of 533MHz to MCH/NB (without any overclocking or additional voltage if you leave timings on stock). If you have Dual Channel Kit then it is exactly FSB 2132MHz capable to use it 1:1 ratio with a quadpumped 533MHz CPU FSB, isnt it?
              Im not an expert myself,and your maths above is correct.
              I didnt really want to get into any discussion as I posted above but.
              1.There arent that many boards capable of 500+mhz fsb,these ones seem to be.

2.The reason I mentioned 533 is that a lot of people seem to have 1066ddr2 memory,but i dont see many of them running it at 2:00 multiplier.
              They dont need to,generally because their cpu multipliers are higher than mine.
              A cpu with an 9 multiplier running 533 fsb would be near 5ghz.
              I was hoping for responses from those who had underclocked their cpu just to see if their memory would run easily at 533 fsb.
              It doesnt even have to be 1066 rated memory.

3.My memory is 6400 or 800mhz rated it will overclock to1000mhz relatively easily on this board,but anything beyond that is v difficult even with timing changes eg ram voltage for stable 490 fsb=2.05v(running) 500fsb=2.16v(running) 507fsb=2.28v(running)
              The memory wont do anything over 1020 stable for me at any multiplier setting.I had it running for a 10 mins on memtest at 1030mhz at some multiplier 2.66d probably and managed with a lot of effort to get a boot into windows at 1066,but that isnt much use and voltages were a bit high even for boot testing let alone stress testing.
              nb this memory has a known problem in operating at above 1000mhz on these boards.
              (edit:actually it is a known issue,its very popular memory,when I was checking it out originally thru reviews and posts I noted that many had it running at 1066 on a multiplier,on other boards,admittedly I only saw one with 1100) As for links to ud3 probs,the 3 or 4 ive seen i dont have on favorites..mm theres a ud3 mbrd review some where..:) ack theres lots of new google entries and some of them are from my posts here .

What are you gonna do tho."Hey id like to return my 800mhz memory cos it wont run more than 25% faster than you say it will"

4.Nickel may very well be right that my cpu wont run at533fsb on air,or at all,but that wasnt what I was posting about.
              At 3.55 or 3.549 to be more accurate it will,but at that stage my ram is "dogs dangly bits"to the wall,whereas the cpu is running within limits.So Im looking for memory with more headroom .
              If it turns out I hit a cpu wall at 3.65 or so I can perhaps run 3.6 24/7 with the "new" memory,or run 8 gig at 490-500 fsb if the memory sticks match up.

The point of my post is/was to get responses such as the one from lsd,or something along the lines of "my board works well withxxx memory at 540 fsb and i only need x.x volts with timings of x-x-x-x hope this is of some help"
              Last edited by kick; 03-03-2009, 08:16 AM.
              Current Systems:

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post

vacapp<:
                OK! It was not clear what is your purpose with this post. Now I see, you was searching only for a working OC with similar CPU, MB but DDR2-1066+ RAM, whether you are able to set 533 CPU FSB if you had better RAM.
                Last edited by vacapp; 03-03-2009, 08:11 AM.
                >> The most useful guides currently on OC in addition to tweaktown sticky threads! <<

Comment

Just so you know it really is all about your CPU what FSB you can run. The ram really would not be a factor unless you had some 667 or crappy 800Mhz ram, but do keep in mind also using 2GB sticks also limits the ram's ability to clock higher then 1GB modules do.

The reason you see alot of users with 1066 ram but not running 533 or above FSB is because they may just not have the patience to get it going. Most of their CPU's will but they just would rather use a lower FSB and a Memory Multi above 2.00 for the simplicity of doing so and lower voltages needed all around.

If you would like me to look around for users with your CPU and the consensus of 533 or so FSB I can.

Again, those New Crucials clock very nicely and are decent priced at most places so they may be worth a look for ya

Comment

Well yeh of course I wasnt expecting "bang in some memory that runs 1066 or 1100" at 2 multiplier and my cpu will just keep working,it wouldnt be working the speeds its at now with a standard cooler.
                    Its just if I was going to get new memory,I might as well get whatever has the most "headroom" /most compatable with the board since a lot are around the same price.
                    I wasnt trying to open a discussion thread,but hey if some others get some info thats great.
                    I dont want to be too down on the gskill 800 either,i think its pdg,"it does what it says on the tin",I just have the "max the cpu itch"

I could get 2 sticks of the 1gb crucial >Gigabyte P45 UD3 review - AwardFabrik - Forum

Id be pretty sure where my cpu max on the board was then.I feel theres a bit more in it on air ,how much I cant tell,just have to decide if its worth trying or not.
                    Last edited by kick; 03-04-2009, 02:44 PM.
                    Current Systems:

Comment

That RAM is based on Micron D9GMH or D9GKX. These chips generally clock to at least 1100, and most will do 1200MHz or even more.

Comment

Is Crucial still using D9GMH or D9GKX modules for their DDR2 Ballistix? I thought they were primarily used now in DDR3.
                        Xeon W3680 @ 4.5 24/7
                        Gigabyte X58A-UD7 rev2
                        EK Supreme HF gold P1
                        factory NB waterblock
                        chilled water
                        3x Super Talent 2000c7
                        2x Sapphire Atomic 4890
                        3x 40GB Raid0 OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD
                        2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT sata3
                        1x 1TB Hitachi Ultrastar
                        Ultra X3 1KW
                        Antec 1200
                        Win7 x64 Ultra

Comment

Not sure which they are using, The new sticks are all rated at 2.0V though

I am sure if you look around at some newer reviews you will find out, or you could ask Crucial directly, I think they will tell you

Comment

Just on the crucial and mushkin testing:
                            The mushkin seems to have the same problems as my own with the same "other people get 1066" thing.
                            But as it says 800mhz theres no guarantees.
                            The crucial ballistixs seem a lot better and even have a 1000mhz epp .Why dont they sell those ballistix sticks as 8000 or 8500memory tho.
                            Maybe its a marketing policy.
                            Ill check out the OCZ's too online.
                            Current Systems:

Comment

Well I have several Mushkin 800Mhz sets that will do 1066+ without issues, just seems that particular model or Set I received will not easily. At least on that board I was using, and within respectable voltages and timings. I could likely have loosened timings up to crappy timings or raised voltages, but I did not have that intention.

And ya like you said they are 800Mhz so anything above that is a bonus. And you also have to keep in mind those are only Mushkins Mid Range sticks, not the best overclockers anyway so I did not expect to awful much out of them for being 2x2GB since they are harder to overclock anyway. The Black sets are much easier to play around with

Ya, those New Crucial's seems to work great in several boards. I think they add the 1000 Profile just because they know it will do it. Which they do, plus some without excessive voltage as well.

They do offer 1066 ballistix, and I would imagine it is the same chips maybe? Maybe not though, but I dont think the 1066 sticks have a extra higher profile in them

Comment

Working...
                              X