Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking UD4P & QPI/VTT question

Hi,
    I've currently got my system running a blck of 175 to give me 3500GHz which with Turbo Boost on gets me to around 3650GHz I think. I'm very pleased with this so far considering all I have done is change the blck to 175 & cpu voltage to 1.3 and everything else is on auto!

Anyway, I was thinking about upping it a tad and was looking at other peoples settings.

My query is related to QPI/VTT..
    Currently this is on auto [1.175v] so if I increase my CPU Vcore to something like 1.365v Im guessing I will need to increase QPI/VTT to a similar figure (as I understand it these 2 figures need to be quite close together?).

I was about to increase it but as I was looking thru the voltages for QPI/VTT once the range goes above 1.355v the figures are shown in red - does this tell me they are unsafe voltages to use?

i7 920
    UD4P
    Corsair 6Gb DDR3 PC3-10666

Re: Overclocking UD4P & QPI/VTT question

I have a EX58-DS4 board and find that if you leave everything on auto and up the bclk to 200 to get a 4/4.2 GHz overclock (I haven't tried anything higher). You can then read the actual votages and optimise them from there, they can be decreased in most cases.

Strangely, I found taking QPI out of auto and settings between 1.25-1.4 V did not work.

Comment

Originally posted by tnzz View Post
      I have a EX58-DS4 board and find that if you leave everything on auto and up the bclk to 200 to get a 4/4.2 GHz overclock (I haven't tried anything higher). You can then read the actual votages and optimise them from there, they can be decreased in most cases.

Strangely, I found taking QPI out of auto and settings between 1.25-1.4 V did not work.
      Thanks, hadn't thought to try that to be honest as everything I had read elsewhere suggested that leaving things on auto is good up to about 3.500/3.600GHz..

Will give it a go.

Comment

QPI Voltage depends on a few things, your CPU for starters as of course they are not all the same. Then you have to take in to account your Blck, actual ram speed and amount, the memory multiplier you are using, the Uncore speed, and timings set as well.

I would advise it to be manually set if you are overclocking, and no you do not need to keep it within any range of the Vcore you can go above it as well if you need to, you can use 1.1-1.45+ QPI/Vtt if need be, but that much is often not needed. The higher ranges of that may or may not be needed depending on all of the above mentioned factors

What you do need to keep is your ram voltage within .5 of QPI. So that means if you use 1.35 QPI then you can use 1.85 Ram voltage without worries
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-26-2009, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Many thanks, I'll have a go and let u know how I get on!

Comment

Hi there.. Ive tried a couple of different settings to get a slightly higher clock but its not working for me at the moment and pc isnt booting over 185 blck.. Id be very grateful if someone could look over my settings and see if they can spot anything or make any suggestions..

I like the idea of Turbo being left on - seems like a good idea to me anyway..?

.................................................. .............
            i7 920 with UD4P
            6Gb Corsair DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) 9-9-9-24
            .................................................. .............

Advanced CPU Features:
            CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]
            Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
            CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
            CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
            CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
            C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
            CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
            CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
            Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled]
            Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
            QPI Link Speed .............................. x36
            Uncore Frequency .......................... 12
            Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
            Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
            BCLK Frequency (MHz) .....................[185]
            PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [Auto] Should I set this to a figure?
            C.I.A.2 [Disabled]
            Advanced Clock Control:
            CPU Clock Drive ..............................[700mV]
            PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [700mV]
            CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
            IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
            Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
            System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [AUTO]
            DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [AUTO] I was advised to leave this on auto?

Memory Frequency 1066 1400

Channel A
            Channel A Timing Settings:
            ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
            CAS Latency Time ...................... 7 [9]
            tRCD .......................................7 [9]
            tRP .........................................7 [9]
            tRAS .......................................20 [24]

Ram settings for each channel are the same or slight variation when left on auto. ie; 9,9,9,24.

Advanced Voltage Control:
            CPU
            Load Line Calibration ................. [Disabled]
            CPU Vcore ...............................1.3
            QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............1.175 [AUTO] As mentioned earlier in the thread I think this needs increasing but not sure how far to go!

CPU PLL 1.800v .......................1.8 [AUTO]

MCH/ICH
            PCIE 1.500v ...........................1.5 [AUTO]
            QPI PLL 1.100v .......................1.1 [AUTO]
            IOH Core 1.100v .....................1.1 [AUTO]
            ICH I/O 1.500v .......................1.5 [AUTO]
            ICH Core 1.1v ........................1.1 [AUTO]

DRAM
            DRAM Voltage 1.500v ..............1.5 [AUTO] Should I change this?
            DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
            Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
            Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
            Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
            Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
            Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
            Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]

Comment

What Bios version are you guys running?
              System info: Intel I7 920 // Coolermaster Centurion 590 // Gigabyte GA-EX58 UD4P // Coolermaster V8 // 6g (3x2g) Corsair Dominator 1333 //EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC 2g // SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256gb //Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Comment

Originally posted by Munch View Post
                What Bios version are you guys running?
                I'm running F7D.

Comment

I see some contradicting info there, so I am kinda confused. If you are leaving memory multi to Auto it looks like maybe 8 is being used so that would be 185x8=1480. And if that is what is being used and you just wrote it wrong then you are using the incorrect uncore Freq as Uncore Freq should be 2x memory multi. Which is why, yes you should set all that yourself.

Now, I am not sure if your ram will do 1480, but I will put that into these settings below. If you find that is not booting at all I would not be surprised as that is a large jump from the spec of that memory. In that case you would need to use Memory multi of 6, and then use the 12 uncore freq for 1110Mhz ram speed

And please before you do anything load and apply optimized defaults!!! Starting from Fail safe is not helping you at all as many hidden settings as well as visible ones are set incorrectly. I have had to say this 6 times tonight I think, no offense at all, just wonder why so many people are having issues they start in the wrong spot for sure.

Please load and apply optimized defaults and set your ram voltage only, then reboot BACK to the BIOS as you will need to set ALL your disk settings again. See here for suggested process of doing this, VERY IMPORTANT if you are using RAID >>
                  http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

See if this helps ya >>>

Advanced CPU Features:
                  CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]
                  Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
                  CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
                  CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
                  CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
                  C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
                  CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
                  CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
                  Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled]
                  Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
                  QPI Link Speed .............................. x36
                  Uncore Frequency .......................... 12 (if using Memory Multi 6) ~ 16 (if using Memory Multi 8)

Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
                  Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
                  BCLK Frequency (MHz) .....................[185]
                  PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [Auto] Should I set this to a figure? << Yes, set 100

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]
                  Advanced Clock Control:
                  CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
                  PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
                  CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
                  IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
                  Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
                  System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [AUTO] << Disabled
                  DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [AUTO] I was advised to leave this on auto? << Manual if you want to set your own timings, Suggested

Memory Frequency 1066 1400

Channel A
                  Channel A Timing Settings:
                  ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
                  CAS Latency Time ...................... 7 [9]
                  tRCD .......................................7 [9]
                  tRP .........................................7 [9]
                  tRAS .......................................20 [24]

Ram settings for each channel are the same or slight variation when left on auto. ie; 9,9,9,24. << ???? They ALL have to match, except Round Trip Latency. But Auto is nothing to trust anyway as values shown are not used in windows 95% of the time anyway

Advanced Voltage Control:
                  CPU
                  Load Line Calibration ................. [Disabled]
                  CPU Vcore ...............................1.3
                  QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............1.175 [AUTO] As mentioned earlier in the thread I think this needs increasing but not sure how far to go! << Set 1.25-1.35 for now, you can lower later. Less 1.2-1.25 is all you would need if you are using the 6 ram multi

CPU PLL 1.800v .......................1.8 [AUTO] << Set 1.84-1.86

MCH/ICH
                  PCIE 1.500v ...........................1.5 [AUTO]
                  QPI PLL 1.100v .......................1.1 [AUTO] << Auto may work, if not try 1.15-1.24
                  IOH Core 1.100v .....................1.1 [AUTO] << 1.14-1.124
                  ICH I/O 1.500v .......................1.5 [AUTO]
                  ICH Core 1.1v ........................1.1 [AUTO] << 1.14-1.18

DRAM
                  DRAM Voltage 1.500v ..............1.5 [AUTO] Should I change this? << Yes, set to your ram spec, normally this is 1.65 So set 1.64 or 1.66

DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
                  Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                  Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                  Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                  Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                  Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                  Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]

Comment

Re: Overclocking UD4P &amp; QPI/VTT question

Thanks for that.. I think I did incorrectly write the memory multi so I'll check it this evening.

I have had an issue with the ram from day one as it is showing at 7-7-7-20 and not what the manufacturers specs states (9-9-9-24).. I was advised to leave the timings on auto and that they would be correct even though showing incorrectly in the bios.

Also, my rams spec is 1.5V, not 1.6 according to the corsair website.

I'll also do as you suggest and boot optimized defaults.
                    Are you saying that I should update my bios? If not, I'm not sure what you mean by setting 'ALL disk settings...' again.

btw, Im not using raid.

sorry to be a pain!

Comment

Please give me a link to your ram or the Model #. I think you may be looking at SPD info for standard DDR3 which is 1.5V and may not be your ram's rated Spec

BIOS ram settings may or may not be used, it all depends on various things. You can check with memset what is actually in use >>
                      Memset

I mean when you load optimized defaults your settings will all be ereased and stock settings will be loaded, so you will need to set your SATA settings and such again in the Advanced and Integrated Peripherals pages of the BIOS. Please read the guide above it has info on what you will need to set again after you load optimized. You can also write down your settings on those two pages, only for your hard drives of course, and then just go back after you load optimized and reboot and set them again to the same. VERY IMPORTANT if you are using RAID, not so important if you are not because windows just wont boot until you set them right if you are not use RAID. If you are using RAID and you do not set them again it will corrupt your RAID Array and you will be reinstalling windows

Since you are not using RAID, then you only need to worry about being able to boot not loosing your install. Still important yes, but not so much. Just write down your disk settings and then set them back to that and you will be fine

Comment

Ram is:
                        http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TR3X6G1333C9.pdf

Thanks, setting hard drives & boot priority is easy enough - I think I'll manage that!

Comment

Thanks, yeap that is 1.5V rated memory. I just wanted to check, alot of user see SPD info and think that is spec so just wanted to be sure.

So ya, set 1.5-1.55 and you will be good to go, do set it manually though Auto may overvolt it more then you want depending on other settings so best to set manually

Comment

Well, Im back! Im sure u will be thrilled!
                            Anyway, I tried those settings and no luck, pc wont boot (just keeps trying)..

I had to manually set the ram timings from 7-7-7-20 to 9-9-9-24 once I did the optimised defaults. I ran memtest and here is what it shows..

Looks like the ram in slot 3 is different to the other 2! Is this normal? Also, its running at a different speed..

With regard to the overclock settings, I can try a couple of small voltage increases but more worried about the ram at the moment.

EDIT: Just to report back, I tried again..
                            I increased the cpu vcore to 1.31 (or the next one up from 1.3 whatever it is!)
                            Also, changed the uncore to 13 and blck to 185.. After a quick Linx and superpi test everything seems fine but will test more thoroughly later..

With turbo on Im getting 3880GHz, not too shabby!
                            Last edited by dangermoose; 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Hi LSD,
                              Now that I've finally managed to get over my LAN reboot issue, I wanted to know if you can suggest, or even post a screen dump of the BIOS settings of your board (as you have the UD4P as well) how I would OC my i7920( currently @ stock) to 3.2ghz. That's the speed I would be happy with. As I'm not well versed in overclocking the i7s it would help.

Am currently still on F5 firmware with the EX58-UD4P
                              Cosair TR3X3G1600C8D 3GB (3x 1GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 (running at stock 1066 and don't have the XMP turned on). Would like to OC the memory with XMP turned on to get to 1600. I don't really understand the voltage and BLCK and Uncore and all the other stuff if I did auto on everything, so a dummy's guide would be helpful.

Thanks,

Workhorse

Comment

Working...
                              X