I have a cellphone problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a cellphone problem.

I just got my first cellphone yesterday: a Motorola v60t with At&t. As this is my first cellphone experience I don't know what is standard quality of service. My concern is that I'm getting dropped calls inside my home and sometimes the busy signal is distorted, fades in-out with static in certain parts of the house. Is this normal for indoors?

Also, any of you use those signal amplifiers, especially the one I see in commercials all the time? It's that metallic tape-like thing that you put on the back of the phone and supposedly it boosts signals and prevents dropped calls. Does it really work and is it worth the money?

I am aware of cellphones causing health problems due to radio frequency(RF) radiation from the antenna. I've been doing some research on the net and according to CNET.com the motorola v60c(same phone for sprint PCS) has a 0.42W/Kg(watts per kilogram) rating.

"According to the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (CTIA), SAR or specific absorption rate is "a way of measuring the quantity of radiofrequency (RF) energy that is absorbed by the body." For a phone to pass FCC certification, that phone's maximum SAR level must be less than 1.6W/kg (watts per kilogram). The SAR level listed in our chart represents the maximum SAR level with the phone next to the ear, a level obtained through required FCC tests."

Being my phone is well below the FCC maximum, I wonder if this is my problem. Is the SAR proportional to the signal strength of the cellphone? If I do use one of those signal boosters modules, in effect I'm increasing the SAR of my cellphone am I not?

with the bad reception: you should have some form of bar display on your phone that is to tell you signal strength.
    as for the boosters i know of them but never really seen if they work or not?

Comment

Originally posted by SegiY
      with the bad reception: you should have some form of bar display on your phone that is to tell you signal strength.
      as for the boosters i know of them but never really seen if they work or not?
      Hell, those reception boosters do jack all, IMHO. I've got a few (I bought some for fun) if you're interested in buying for $2 SeigY ;)

Comment

A friend of mine has just bought a Motorola V60 (he needs the Triband to take his phone when he visits the US) and has no problems with signal reception. If you are on a call and hear "clanging" while moving, the cellphone is usually just switching base stations. At my college, there are 5 base stations within striking distance and the call quality is woeful (due to the constant changing of base stations). As SegiY said, there is a signal indicator in the top left corner of the internal LCD screen. 4 or 5 bars is good, 3 is mediocre, and 1 or 2 bars is pathetic.

The radiation levels don't seem to have much of an impact on performace from what I've observed, and Motorola phones are generally the best around for low radiation. Oh, and signal boosters are crap from what I've heard - get at least a 3db car kit antenna and install it in your car ;)
        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
          As SegiY said, there is a signal indicator in the top left corner of the internal LCD screen. 4 or 5 bars is good, 3 is mediocre, and 1 or 2 bars is pathetic.

lol I like your explanations of the various amounts of reception as indicated by the bars :)

Comment

Working...
          X