Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REW: Will pay $ for expert BIOS settings advice so that I can "Set it and forget it!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REW: Will pay $ for expert BIOS settings advice so that I can "Set it and forget it!"

Hi to everybody,

First, let me say that I'm really blown away by what you guys do around here. When I decided to build my own computer for a Digital Audio Workstation a couple of months ago, I had NO idea just how deep some of this stuff can get! I have a lifelong background in musical electronics and gear, so slapping the hardware together was easy. Now it comes to optimizing of my component choices and I find myself spending way too much time on this. That's why I'd like to see if someone here can professionally consult to create a setup profile that will work on my machine so that I can "set it and forget it" and leave you guys alone! Hopefully, this solicitation doesn't break any rules!

Here are the usage specifics:

- Digital Audio Workstation use only. I'd like to maximize the abilities of the processor and the memory in the machine to make it to the best it can to process multi-tracking recording and use of Virtual Studio Technology plugs and instruments. I don't really know much about how these things use system resources, but I know that they can be processor intensive. I'm sure the i7 can handle a great deal at stock settings, but if there is a tweak here or there that can be done to make it better with low risk or effort with the stock cooler, I'd like to do it. My objective would be to get the best performance I can with what I have and leave it at that, and not have to do any maintenance to keep up with it. Also, acoustics is an issue. Should be as quiet as possible. I've tried to address that in hardware as much as possible.

- I am not interested in ongoing adjustments or testing the computer's limits or benchmarking to see how well the machine is performing, etc. I just want the best setup for a good working machine.

Hardware specifics:

- GA-EX58-UD4P Ver F6 BIOS
    - i7 920 CPU, stock cooler and fan (Can't find a better one that will fit in the 4U rack enclosure! I've only got 152mm from the top of the chip to the inside lid of the case!)
    - Case is well ventilated, with one quiet 120mm in front and two quiet 80mm in back. Used in a cool studio only.
    - Corsair HX620 PSU
    - Triple channel 6 gig OCX DDR3 1600 PC3 12800 8-8-8-24 1.65 volts, non XMP
    - HIS Hightech H467PS1GP Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card running two monitors.
    - M-Audio 1010LT PCI Sound Card module
    - 3 WD Caviar Black drives, 32 mb cache each
    - DVD burner/drive

Anyway, thanks in advance for looking. Again, I hope this is cool to ask to do this, but I just really can't afford the time right now to do all the research and learning to do it myself, only to never use the learning again. In an effort not to waste your time or mine, I thought this would be the preferred method.

Please post thoughts or PM me directly.

Thanks!
    Vic

Re: REW: Will pay $ for expert BIOS settings advice so that I can "Set it and forget

Well Ive only seen one v recent WAD poster recently and he had probs with sound skipping.A more basic setup,the board is sort of like my back up one .GA-73pvms2H.
    Nothing wrong with the stock cooler on the intel stuff,it does what ists supposed to do.
    Its probably good for 10-20% overclock even.
    Im not sure what youre looking for tho.
    I dont know of any things that the standard settings wont cover.
    Perhaps if the motherboard doesnt recognise your memory timings,you might have to enter those directly aside from that I dont know what else.
    Is it working ok now at optimum settings?
    Default/optimum will/should give you the lowest noise,less heat/less fan work etc.
    If you mean youd like to clock it up a little as far as the standard cooler would take it without getting hot or too loud.10%?maybe 20,dunno.
    My case had the same internal dimensions as yours,approx.I cut a hole in the side panel and put in a hi tech raised perspex smoked cover(the lid from a refrigerator vegetable crisper box;)..
    There must be fairly good air coolers under 152mm(quiet ones)
    This studio environment,how hot does it get?.The ambient air temperature.
    Connect it all up see how it goes,post bios settings and see if lsd or someone with i7/ddr3 experience has some settings for a moderate overclock?
    The gx card fan on mine is the noisiest item when it has to spin up.
    Oh yeh connect that 120mm fan to the mbrd header that controls fan speed,if you havent already.There are only 2 fan speed control connections on my mbrd,the cpu of course and one sys fan connection.Yours may be the same
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Re: REW: Will pay $ for expert BIOS settings advice so that I can "Set it and forget

Hey buddy, I think I have posted replies for you a few times tonight in a few places. Do you still need more help? Just checking, if you do let me know and I can help.

Don't let yourself feel as if you are bugging or bothering us, or taking up our time, we are hear on our own accord to help others so it is no big deal at all!!

I can help you with settings, but you have to decide what you plan to run. I could not advise you of what would be best for the situation you are speaking of because I do not make music so I wouldn't be sure for example if faster ram would be better then tighter timings at slower speeds, ect.

As for Heatsinks here is a few I found with a quick gander around Newegg if you do not have any desire to get Wet.

There is No indication of performance based on me listing these, but they all should be better then stock for sure I would imagine, I just listed them because it sounded like you could not find any that were under 152MM

123MM
      Newegg.com - ZEROtherm Core 92 92mm Nickel-plated Premium Cooler, Heat Pipe Direct Touch, Socket 1366 compatible - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

141MM
      Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Exactly 152MM (And if it cut it too close for your comforts, you can easily bend the fins on these down or to the side to make it fit without much effort or harm to performance)
      Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9900LED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

IF it was me? I would choose one of the above for sure, I would likely buy #1 for sure because it is so cheap but also at the same time buy #2. Then if I did not like #1 or #2, I would RMA #2 and get #3 and just toss #1 in the corner, use it in another setup later, or put on ebay

Heatsink for Server (NO Fan, or Add your own) 23.5MM
      Newegg.com - Dynatron G129 CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Not suggested, but ok looking I suppose (Has heatpipe at least)? 64MM
      Newegg.com - Dynatron G666 60mm Double Ball Bearing CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Comment

If its for audio production id definitely recommend one of the new SSD drives for your page file / scratch files. Not sure about the sound card your using (or even what youll be sampling) but it might also be an idea to house 2 of your sata drives (or mabe even all 3) outside of the machine due to case vibration. Or get those rubber grommit things to mount them inside.
        Last edited by gorby; 03-25-2009, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks. Yep L, I did get your settings, thanks! I just thought that while I was jacking the memory, I might see if I could mildly OC the CPU at the same time with the stock cooler to get better performance.

I did a little tech reading last night and have a better understanding of the relationships of the different parameters on the Core i7 as far as setting clock speeds and how that affects other things, so I'm a little less intimidated this morning. I also understand a little better the importance of individual testing of temps and voltages, etc, as every system, case, environment is different.

Gorby, I hear you on the SSD's, but they're a little pricey for now, but on my acquisition list. I've got my internal drives isolated, so I'm really not getting any noise per se.

L, I looked at that Zalman 9900 and thought it spec'd out too tall. Thanks for the heads up and I'll have another look.

My current CPU temp is 36-37 at idle. Seems high to me, so I don't know if the stock cooler will handle any boosting.

Thanks again,
          Vic

Comment

Originally posted by Vic Trola View Post
            Hey guys, thanks. Yep L, I did get your settings, thanks! I just thought that while I was jacking the memory, I might see if I could mildly OC the CPU at the same time with the stock cooler to get better performance.

I did a little tech reading last night and have a better understanding of the relationships of the different parameters on the Core i7 as far as setting clock speeds and how that affects other things, so I'm a little less intimidated this morning. I also understand a little better the importance of individual testing of temps and voltages, etc, as every system, case, environment is different.

Gorby, I hear you on the SSD's, but they're a little pricey for now, but on my acquisition list. I've got my internal drives isolated, so I'm really not getting any noise per se.

L, I looked at that Zalman 9900 and thought it spec'd out too tall. Thanks for the heads up and I'll have another look.

My current CPU temp is 36-37 at idle. Seems high to me, so I don't know if the stock cooler will handle any boosting.

Thanks again,
            Vic

A mild overclock is likely possible with stock, I am just not sure how far as I have never used a stock heatsink

Sounds like you have done some reading and learning, which is always a great thing! There is a lot to learn, but once you get the gist of it you should find things move along for you much easier

About the Zalman, I went to the Zalman site and it's spec's were just at the limit you said you had (94(L) x 131(W) x 152(H) mm). Here is the spec page in case you want to have a look >>>
            ::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::

Like I said though, if that Zalman looks to be to tight of a fit, then that first and second cooler I linked would be better then stock one as well, and for sure fit within your height requirements. I could also look around at some other places I shop to see if I can find any others, Newegg does not carry everything that's for sure.

What are your load temps? I think those are normal idle temps. If you are not hitting 70C+ at load then you have some room to overclock for sure I would think

Comment

Hey L,
              I went in last night and tried to set some of the parameters you'd posted, but my F6 bios was missing a few settings you recommended. I think they were tWTP, tWL and tWR (not in front of it now), but I couldn't find them to assure that the tWTP = tWL+tWR+4.

Code:
              Advanced CPU Features:
              CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]
              Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
              CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
              CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
              C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
              CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
              CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
              Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled]
              Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
              QPI Link Speed .............................. x36
              Uncore Frequency ..........................  24 (Always 2x memory Multi or 2x +1)
              Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
              Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
              BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... 133
              PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
              CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
              PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
              CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
              IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
              Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
              Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
              System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [12.0]
              DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Manual]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
              ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
              CAS Latency Time ......................8
              tRCD .......................................8
              tRP .........................................8
              tRAS .......................................24

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
              tRC ........................................ 32-36 (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
              tRRD .......................................4-6
              tWTR ......................................3-5
              tWR ........................................6-12
              tWTP .......................................18-24
              tWL ........................................6-8 (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)
              tRFC .......................................72-82
              tRTP .......................................4-6
              tFAW ......................................24-34
              Command Rate (CMD) ................1

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
              Round Trip Latency ...................50-54

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
              Load Line Calibration ................. [Disabled]
              CPU Vcore ............................... Auto For stock only
              QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............ 1.225-1.35
              CPU PLL 1.800v .......................Auto For stock only

MCH/ICH
              PCIE 1.500v ........................... Auto or 1.54
              QPI PLL 1.100v ....................... Auto or if you have issues 1.14-1.24
              IOH Core 1.100v ..................... 1.14-1.24
              ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... Auto
              ICH Core 1.1v ........................ 1.14-1.2

DRAM
              DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. 1.64-1.66
              DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]

Thanks for checking into the Zalman. I looked again at it and I may give it a shot, as long as I don't have to pull the mobo to secure the sink to it. I hope it pushes in from the top.

As far as temps, I opened up 4 Orthos boxes and set a different pair of affinities for each to load the CPU to 100%. Using both RealTemp 3.2 and ET, I got different temp results! In RealTemp, the 4 cores were pegging upwards of 78 to 82 C at full load with the stock cooler. EasyTune showed the total never going over 62 C. Idle in RT is about 44-45 and showing 34-36 in Easy Tune.

Comment

Working...
              X