What is SATA RAID/ACHI Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is SATA RAID/ACHI Mode

I have the EP45-UD3R. I see the SATA RAID/ACHI Mode but not clear on what it does. It's currently disabled.

I'm using SATA drives but not sure I'm taking advantage of their speed. I understand there is an IDE and SATA/ACHI mode if I understand correctly.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (rev 1.1, bios F12), E8400 @ 3.83Ghz, Xigmatek S1283, 2x2Gb OCZ2RPR11504GK Reaper PC2-9500 HPC 1150Mhz, PNY 9600 GSO 768MB PCI-e OC , CoolerMaster 590, WinXP SP3 32bit and Win7 Pro 64 Bit (swappable HDD's via Icy Dock)

Re: What is SATA RAID/ACHI Mode

The SATA controlled has three personalities, and one has to choose one, in practice before installing OS. And stick with it.

First is traditional IDE mode (as in how the SATA controller talks to the SATA drives).

The second is AHCI mode that knows extra "phrases", possibly making the disk access more efficient. (But not always.)

The third is the RAID mode. Controller talks AHCI to the disks, but can present the drives to OS as (redundant) logical arrays.

Comment

Any way to 'calculate' whether AHCI will be better than IDE mode?
      GA-MA78G-DS3H rev1.0 F6; Athlon x2 4850e 2.5GHz; Corsair XMS2 CM2x2048-6400C4 2GB kit; Seagate 250GB SATA2 16MB

Comment

Sounds like the way I have that function set in the BIOS, disabled, makes sense. I'm not using RAID and based on what I had read about AHCI it didn't sound like I was really going to benefit from it. I'm running WinXP Pro SP3.
        Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (rev 1.1, bios F12), E8400 @ 3.83Ghz, Xigmatek S1283, 2x2Gb OCZ2RPR11504GK Reaper PC2-9500 HPC 1150Mhz, PNY 9600 GSO 768MB PCI-e OC , CoolerMaster 590, WinXP SP3 32bit and Win7 Pro 64 Bit (swappable HDD's via Icy Dock)

Comment

I use ACHI to allow for hot swapping my SATA drives that I use in front accessable hard drive trays.
          Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 v1.0 @ F13s
          Intel Xeon E5-2670
          Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled LGA 2011
          64GB (8x8GB) Quad Channel G-Skill Ripjaws Z series DDR3 2133
          EVGA GTX 950 FTW 2GB
          Thermaltake Armor+
          Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
          1 x 2TB WD 2002FAEX SATA
          4 x 2TB WD 20EFRX SATA
          7 x 3TB WD 30EFRX SATA
          Seasonic X-1050 Power Supply
          ASUS RT-AC68U router
          Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
          Windows 8.1 Pro x64
          Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

Originally posted by pbcopter View Post
            I use ACHI to allow for hot swapping my SATA drives that I use in front accessable hard drive trays.
            R u using Vista?

Comment

AHCI will allow hotswap in XP too. But you will have to reinstall to get it to work. And it adds an extra 10 seconds to the boot process due to the silly Intel SATA BIOS that doesn't give you the option to switch detection to manual, and scans all the ports every time you boot.
              Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Comment

I hot swap SATA HDD's in IDE mode (using eSATA) and it works fine, seems to only work on Gigabyte Sata ports though...

Comment

Originally posted by kantona View Post
                  Any way to 'calculate' whether AHCI will be better than IDE mode?
                  It depends on how you normally use your pc. If you just browse and chat there is no benefit from ahci mode. But if you like to switch between many applications utilizing heavy background disk operations, such as video encoding, multiple torrent download, streaming etc..., you then would benefit more from NCQ (native command queueing) feature of ahci that basically will cut down your disk access time noticeably. That's of course if your hard disk support it, but nowadays all of them do.
                  Well, if these 10 sec boot delay drive you crazy, then consider working in pure ide mode and change your disks every 1-2 years.
                  GA-X48T-DQ6 [rev: 1.3], Bios F6e (replacement of GA-EP45T-UD3P [rev: 1.0])
                  Q9550 (E0), Zalman CNPS9500 Cooler
                  2x2GB Kingston HyperX [KHX13000D3LLK2/2G] 1.7V DDR3-1333 @7-7-7-20
                  Gainward Bliss 8800GT, 2x1TB HDD Samsung SATA-2, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W PSU

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                    AHCI will allow hotswap in XP too. But you will have to reinstall to get it to work. And it adds an extra 10 seconds to the boot process due to the silly Intel SATA BIOS that doesn't give you the option to switch detection to manual, and scans all the ports every time you boot.
                    AHCI allows hotswap natively on controller level, but usually there are no many applications that give you that option. HotSwap! can help you there.
                    No, certainly you don't have to reinstall XP to enable achi mode afterwards.
                    There are maaaany posts how to do it either in ahci or in raid mode. It takes 5 min + 2 reboots to do it.
                    GA-X48T-DQ6 [rev: 1.3], Bios F6e (replacement of GA-EP45T-UD3P [rev: 1.0])
                    Q9550 (E0), Zalman CNPS9500 Cooler
                    2x2GB Kingston HyperX [KHX13000D3LLK2/2G] 1.7V DDR3-1333 @7-7-7-20
                    Gainward Bliss 8800GT, 2x1TB HDD Samsung SATA-2, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W PSU

Comment

Working...
                    X