Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHCI implementation on X38-DQ6

Hello,
    I try to find out an a solution to my issue with this X38-DQ6 motherboard I own since 2007: during this period of time, this MB is behaving slow in DOS/BIOS mode with AHCI mode enabled (this means everything outside Windows operating system).
    Under Windows OS (XP - x86/x64, Vista x86/x64, Win7 beta-x64) the MB is fast and stable, but as soon I work with this MB in DOS/BIOS mode, it behaves strange:
    - in the boot phase, the MB stays 10seconds to detect the SATA HDD (step 10 in BIOS loading), no matter if/what HDD is connected to SATA ports
    - in BIOS, the SATA HDDs/DVDRWs are not visible in AHCI mode - but they are visible in Windows ad if I use some other non-Windows applications like Norton Ghost, Acronis, etc.
    - file copy operation under DOS mode is VERY slow
    - creating a Ghost image for a partition or restoring an image of a partition it takes more than double time compared to other MBs I tried.
    - I could not use the eSATA functionality with this MB, when I try to plug an eSATA HDD, the PC is freezing
    - booting with an external USB HDD connected is not possible
    - installing of a Vista/Win7 OS from an 200x USB stick is very slow compared to other MBs I've tried
    - very slow movement of the USB G5 mouse cursor on screen in DOS mode applications (very fast with other MBs)

So, these are some mis-behaviors which lead me to the conclusion that the storage and I/O subsystems of this MB are not working correctly with all existing BIOS codes I've tried until F7 when I gave up.

In order to prove this conclusion, in the same system I've just swapped the x38-DQ6 MB with: P5W-DW (975/ICH8R), P5B Deluxe (P965/ICH8R) and P45 neo2FR (P45/ICH10R) motherboards and all are working correctly and fast under BIOS / DOS applications in AHCI mode (HDDs/DVDRWs are recognized in BIOS, half the time necesarry for copy operations or partition image cration/restoring, no slow movement of mouse cursor, working eSATA, etc.)

If I change the AHCI mode to IDE mode, the things are booting much faster and HDDs/DVDRWs are recognized in BIOS.

Did somebody else faced this kind of issues I have with this MB? This is my first Gigabyte MB and I don't know, maybe all GB motherboards are behaving in the same way?

Many thanks for your hints/ideeas in solving this issues.
    Regards,
    Nick

Components in my system:
    CPU: Q6600 G0
    MB: X38-DQ6
    RAM: 4x2Gb A-Data PC6400 Extreme+ (during the time I had also some Geil RAM 2x1Gb PC6400, all my RAm is tested and OK under MemTest)
    PCI: XFi Xtreme Music and an Sapphire Theatrix 550pro TV tuner
    HDD/DVDRW: WD3000HLFS-01G6U0 / DRW-1814BLT / DRW-20B1ST (but I've used during time other HDDs from WD, Seagate and Samsung)
    VGA: I used various graphic cards, from an Asus X300se 128Mb to an 4870 1Gb
    PSU: actually is a Thermaltake Though Power 750W (but I've used also a Chieftec 550W)
    USB peripherals keyboard and mouse

Re: AHCI implementation on X38-DQ6

Please disable Legacy USB Storage Detect in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page, that will allow you to boot with USB Devices connected. They will not work in DOS mode or Qflash with this setting disabled though, so keep that in mind

Yes, the SATA Detection is slow in all Gigabyte boards, they are working on updating the BIOS with new AHCI Detection Rom's. Some of the boards already have the new one now. AHCI is always slower then IDE mode for booting, because in IDE mode the AHCI BIOS does not have to load to detect anything. If you are not hot swapping your drives then I suggest you run normal IDE mode

File copy speeds in DOS depends on what you are transfering to what and what drivers are loaded, are you using Smartdrv.sys?

eSATA, are you using the ports labeled 2-5? I think those are the ones you should use. I do see eSATA listed on your boards spec's, but do not see it mentioned at all in your manual??? So not sure what to say about that, have you asked Tech Support? If not you may want to see what they say as well >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

As for your your mouse issues, I am not sure since I have not used that mouse. I can say I have not seen many issues with this board and USB Mice though, but not many users buy this board so that may have something to say as well

Comment

Thank you very much for suggestions.
      Do you think that there is a chance to have in the near future a new bios version for this motherboard with the new AHCI detection code inside?

Comment

I would think maybe so, since the X48's just got updated last week. All the P45's and X58 boards have not yet, so it is likely.

I will ask this week and let you know if they plan to update those as well

Comment

Hi Lsdmeasap,
          Do you have any feedback related to the update of the x38-dq6's bios with new Intel AHCI ROM code?

Thanks and regards.

Comment

any feedback?

Comment

Sorry, I have not heard back about it yet. I will ask in my next email that way again.

I do see they are rolling out new beta's still for X58 without it now, after putting it into one of the older beta's a few weeks ago so I think there was a issue they are trying to correct!

What BIOS are you using anyway? F9f beta is posted, but I do believe no AHCI ROM Update would be in that. Just thought I would find out what you was using and see if maybe you could update as some of the newer ones may correct some of your other issues >>>
              GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-X38-DQ6

Qflash guide if you are not sure about flashing >>>

Don't feel so bad, I also am waiting for it to be added into my P45 and X58 board BIOS's as well.

*EDIT ~ Email Sent*

I have just sent out a email asking if there is any plans to implement a new AHCI ROM into the X38 series boards. I will let you know what I find out
              Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-16-2009, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I appreciate your support:)
                Hopefully, we'll have a positive answer on this topic.
                Many thanks,
                nick

Comment

Good news for you!!

Sorry for the delay, the BIOS engineers said they will be releasing a BIOS update in the next few days. I may get it before it is published to the website so I will either PM it to you or post it here and PM you to notify you that is has been posted for ya.

Since it is Friday, I would imagine if you do not hear from me tomorrow then it will likely be Monday or Tuesday when I get it. They did not say exact date or amount of days, only "in a few days" so you know it is coming very soon

Comment

This is good news! I remember when installing vista id have to wait for aaages for the disk drive manager to appear!
                    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
                    CPU: E8400 C0
                    Memory: Team Xtreem Dark PC2 8500 DDR2 1066MHz CL5 (2*2GB)
                    GPU: XFX GTX280
                    Sound: Xonar HDAV Deluxe
                    HDD's: WD VelociRaptor, WD Blue AAKS, WD Blue 2500BB
                    PSU: Corsair HX620
                    Case: Sharkoon Rebel12 Value
                    CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Achilles S1284C
                    Fans: Intake & Extract Top: Sharkoon 140MM 5v mod, Intake Bottom Opposite HDD's: Scythe 120mm Low RPM Drive Bay
                    HDD's In 5.25 bay held in 2x Nexus DoubleTwins
                    Disc Drives: Blu Ray/HDDVD LG GGCH20L, Pioneer DVR-216DBK
                    Monitor: Samsung LE40M86B
                    Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR255
                    Speaker System: Q Accoustics 5.1i System

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
                    James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
                    Goldeneye

Comment

Excellent!!!
                      Don't worry, I will survive the next few days:)
                      Have a nice weekend!

Comment

Beta BIOS GA-X38-DQ6 F9h >>
                        x38dq6.f9h

Comment

Nice, thanks L, are there any other release notes than just the bios ROM?
                          Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
                          CPU: E8400 C0
                          Memory: Team Xtreem Dark PC2 8500 DDR2 1066MHz CL5 (2*2GB)
                          GPU: XFX GTX280
                          Sound: Xonar HDAV Deluxe
                          HDD's: WD VelociRaptor, WD Blue AAKS, WD Blue 2500BB
                          PSU: Corsair HX620
                          Case: Sharkoon Rebel12 Value
                          CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Achilles S1284C
                          Fans: Intake & Extract Top: Sharkoon 140MM 5v mod, Intake Bottom Opposite HDD's: Scythe 120mm Low RPM Drive Bay
                          HDD's In 5.25 bay held in 2x Nexus DoubleTwins
                          Disc Drives: Blu Ray/HDDVD LG GGCH20L, Pioneer DVR-216DBK
                          Monitor: Samsung LE40M86B
                          Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR255
                          Speaker System: Q Accoustics 5.1i System

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
                          James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
                          Goldeneye

Comment

Sorry, no the only way I knew the New AHCI ROM was added was because I sent in a request about this boards BIOS with notes from this thread for the OP.

So that was all I was informed about, other changes may be added of course?

Comment

Many thanks for this bios!
                              Now my x38-dq6 motherboard is not in the PC (I use a P45 MB now) but I will swap it in order to flash the new bios and to check the improvements.
                              I will post the feedback later.

Comment

Working...
                              X