GA-EX58-UD4P Triple Channel Memory Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD4P Triple Channel Memory Problem

I just received the parts for my new computer build on last Friday, April 24 and put the computer together on Saturday, April 25.

I can't get the BIOS to recognize the full 6gb of triple channel memory. It will only POST 4gb. Windows 7 x64 RC1 recognizes that 6gb are installed, but says that only 4gb are usable. However, when I run CPUZ, it can see all 6gb just fine. I have the RAM installed in slots 1, 3, & 5. If I take the RAM out of slot 5 and move it to slot 4 or 2, the BIOS will see all 6gb, but it is only running in dual channel mode.

What can I do to get all 6gb working in triple channel mode?

Re: GA-EX58-UD4P Triple Channel Memory Problem

Do you see N/A listed for any of the memory channels in the BIOS? If so you may need more QPI or ram voltage, or you have your Uncore Multiplier set incorrectly.

You may also have some bent pins in your CPU socket, did you check before installing your CPU? I would check now to be sure as this is often the case

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Do you see N/A listed for any of the memory channels in the BIOS? If so you may need more QPI or ram voltage, or you have your Uncore Multiplier set incorrectly.

You may also have some bent pins in your CPU socket, did you check before installing your CPU? I would check now to be sure as this is often the case
      I am using Corsair 1333MHz memory, and it is rated for 1.5v, which is set correctly in the BIOS. I changed the timings to 9-9-9-24 to match the memory specs, to no avail. I have tried increasing QPI and RAM voltage, but that didn't make a difference. I have to admit, I don't even know what the "Uncore Multiplier" setting means, much less what the correct setting would be.

I cycled each individual stick through slot #1 and they worked correctly. If I just insert a single stick in Slot #5 (closest to CPU), the system won't even get to POST. If I add another stick to Slot #3 (middle) in addition to Slot #5, I can get into BIOS and can only see 2gb, not 4gb. So the problem seems to be isolated to the 3rd pair of memory slots.

I did finally break down and checked the CPU and socket. I can't see any obvious bent pins there, so I reseated it.

Comment

Uncore Multiplier must be set to 2 x your memory multiplier, or 2x+1. Auto may set that correctly but ya never know. I do not use Auto for anything myself, nor do I advise XMP

You can also set the QPI Multi to x36 or x44 for stock Blck (x44 Requires More voltage to QPI/Vtt)

Did you try setting QPI PLL to 1.18-1.24, if not try that as well

The correct slots for triple channel are 1, 3, 5 (White) you are still using those when using all three sticks correct?

If you are doing all of that correctly your board could be faulty or you are just not seeing a bent pin. Did you look very close, got a magnifying glass, if you do check again?

Comment

Hey

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with that problem or at least i had that problem before. I have the same motherboard and ram and I too had some problems with my memory. It almost always happen if I overclock my memory too much. It is stable at 1600 (stock 1333) but not much more and you need a lot of voltage to do that. I usually go with 1.66 to be safe.

When I first installed my system it seemed that one of my DDR3 ram modules was a dead one too. For 4 hours my PC continuously rebooted with the screen going blue saying there was a bad memory management. I had no idea what this meant because I have never had any problems with memory before. I then tried to boot with each stick individually in each slot and it turned out one of the modules were not able to boot the system. Damn it - took me some time to figure this out.

I then installed the memory in dual channel and everything was ok. At some point I tried to install the other stick and what do you know it ran perfect for some weird reason. Now I do not remember if I changed the timings to 9 9 9 24 from the 8 8 8 20 it starts up with on defauld but everything works ok now.

And what do you mean by "If I just insert a single stick in Slot #5 (closest to CPU), "? If I am not mistaken the closest to the CPU would be slot 2. It is from CPU like this: 2 1 4 3 6 5, which means you need to insert them in 1 3 5 (the white slots) to run in triple channel mode.

Hope you figure out your problem with this because the motherboard is a really great one and the Corsair 1333 overclocking to 1640 is pretty sweet too.

Poul

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Uncore Multiplier must be set to 2 x your memory multiplier, or 2x+1. Auto may set that correctly but ya never know. I do not use Auto for anything myself, nor do I advise XMP

You can also set the QPI Multi to x36 or x44 for stock Blck (x44 Requires More voltage to QPI/Vtt)

Did you try setting QPI PLL to 1.18-1.24, if not try that as well

The correct slots for triple channel are 1, 3, 5 (White) you are still using those when using all three sticks correct?

If you are doing all of that correctly your board could be faulty or you are just not seeing a bent pin. Did you look very close, got a magnifying glass, if you do check again?
            Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am still using all three sticks in the white slots. I tried all the settings you suggested, and unfortunately they had no effect. I haven't taken the CPU out again yet, I am out of thermal grease, so I don't want to break the seal until I get some more.

Just to clarify, should I be able to boot the system with only one stick of memory in Slot #1, because I can't. In fact, if I have 2 sticks in slots 1 & 3, it will boot, but only shows 2gb of memory. I am starting to think that my slot #1 may actually be defective, or is it more likely that there is actually a bent pin?

Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Grnkjr0 View Post
              Hey
              And what do you mean by "If I just insert a single stick in Slot #5 (closest to CPU), "? If I am not mistaken the closest to the CPU would be slot 2. It is from CPU like this: 2 1 4 3 6 5, which means you need to insert them in 1 3 5 (the white slots) to run in triple channel mode.
              Thanks for checking, I did mistype that, I am running the memory in the white slots 1, 3, & 5.

Hope you figure out your problem with this because the motherboard is a really great one and the Corsair 1333 overclocking to 1640 is pretty sweet too.
              Thanks for the encouragement, this has been a little frustrating to say the least. I am hoping to avoid having to RMA the board to the Egg, but I am running out of options before my 30 day window comes to a close.

David

Comment

I got this from the Gigabyte tech support, does this sound like something worth trying out?

Dear customer,
                Try disconnect all hard drive ( not related to OS to hard drive) remove all memory, take onboard cell battery out for 5 sec clear CMOS then put in single stick memory on white color slot close to cpu, check if system can boot into bios setting, reset bios to load fail-safe defaults, and load optimized defaults, save setup exit, if system restart ok, put the other stick memory on second white color slot and check if system boots ok and 4G memory are detected.
                Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hey

I got this from the Gigabyte tech support, does this sound like something worth trying out?
                  I think I will try this myself just to see what happens because I too had problems earlier with the memory sticks. But from every software tool I checked - I get the info that I have 6GB in triple channel mode.

I will let you know later today how it went.

You should perhaps wait for what Lsdmeasap thinks of all this - he seems to be the tech guy around here.

Poul

Comment

Hey

I think I will try this myself just to see what happens because I too had problems earlier with the memory sticks. But from every software tool I checked - I get the info that I have 6GB in triple channel mode.

I will let you know later today how it went.

You should perhaps wait for what Lsdmeasap thinks of all this - he seems to be the tech guy around here.

Poul
                    I hope to hear good things from you. Good luck!

DB

Comment

Hey

Now I have tried what Gigabyte suggested you and one of my sticks is not able to boot the PC in the 1st white slot. I had that stick identified all ready when this was a problem first time I build my system and it was marked by a X. I tried at first with one of the sticks I knew worked and it was ok then I took that out and put in the 2nd one I knew worked and all was good and then I replaced that with the one marked X and it failed. I then put in a good one booted up - was ok - then rebooted with the 2nd good one - everything ok and CPU-z showed is as 4 GB double channel. I then closed the system and put it the one marked with the X and then after loading into windows I got a blue screen right away.

I even tried booting with only one good one in the 1st white slot and the one marked X in the 2nd white slot without luck. I have no doubt that the X marked stick is causing the machine to fail - but why is it giving a blue screen - saying memory management - why not just load and run in only double channel?

I hope Lsdmeasap could possibly explain this and what to do next?

I am not able to run triple channel at the moment despite it worked fine earlier - really odd if you ask me! I will try and put in the Xmarked one later today to see if things has changed because at one point I made this work.

I will ask my dealer and send the memory back I think....

NB. I have tried changing timings and everything with no luck so it might just be a bad memory stick.

Good luck

Poul

Comment

Hey again

Now I am running triple again. How this is possible I do not know. I was playing some Undercover and I usually run that game overclocked with Bclk at 170. But the darn game froze on me because of my graphics card - normally not a problem but tonight it was. I then had to reboot the computer and I tried to put in the 3rd stick marked with a X that had failed earlier and now it is running in triple with a slight overclock in memory. Those settings was all ready made in BIOS upon installing the 3rd stick and it was set to 9 9 9 24 default on all timings in all 3 slots. Default is 1333 and they now run 1360 with a slightly higher voltage of 1.54 in BIOS but reads 1.52.

Now I have no idea if any changes made by me made it possible for the 3rd stick to work but I do know that it is not meant to be like this.

Poul

Comment

Well, I'm glad to hear that you have your triple channel working properly. I will try Gigabyte's suggestion tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Comment

Well I tried Gigabyte's recommendation tonight and to no surprise it had no effect. I still could not boot at all with a single stick in slot #1. Put sticks in #3 and I boot with 2gb, add in #5 and I boot with 4gb. CPUZ still sees all 3 sticks and claims triple channel operation.

Does anyone have any more ideas, or am I going to have to RMA the board to the Egg?

Thanks,
                            David

Comment

Originally posted by boyettdw View Post
                              Well I tried Gigabyte's recommendation tonight and to no surprise it had no effect. I still could not boot at all with a single stick in slot #1. Put sticks in #3 and I boot with 2gb, add in #5 and I boot with 4gb. CPUZ still sees all 3 sticks and claims triple channel operation.

Does anyone have any more ideas, or am I going to have to RMA the board to the Egg?

Thanks,
                              David
                              Well, I already got a reply from Gigabyte. They are recommending that I RMA the board.

Comment

Working...
                              X