Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte GA-EP45UD3P vs. Ballistix 1066..Problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-EP45UD3P vs. Ballistix 1066..Problem!

Hi,

I own a GA-EP45UD3P (rev 1.1) motherboard and installed 4 modules of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15 2.0V modules (two kits of BL2KIT12864AA106A)...-> Total memory : 4GB

So I installed the latest firmware upgrade from Gigabyte (F8).

All settings are in "Auto". The memory settings say that my memory is at 5-7-7-24 timings (my memory is 5-5-5-15) and that the voltage is 1.8V (the memory voltage is at 2.0V)... So I correct those settings, I put 5-5-5-15 for timings and 2.0V..

My PC restarts randomly to day by day circles.. In random time.. and when I fire up Bios settings, the Bios itself is changing the values to 5-7-7-24 and 1.8V.. and round we go..

Can anybody help me please? I'm desperate..

PS : My CPU is a Core2Quad Q9300 CPU..

PS2: Oh !! I forgot to tell you that a lot of times , when I change those values in Bios, and then the PC restarts , it restarts forever... (on...off...on....off...on....off...etc..) so I have to pull off the Power cable..

Thanks!
    Last edited by ultraxmode; 05-02-2009, 07:59 AM.
    http://dailyfix.gr
    Blogging for your daily needs!
    Geeks Revenge! Cause being a Geek in those days is SO COOL!

Re: Gigabyte GA-EP45UD3P vs. Ballistix 1066..Problem!

There a couple of other voltages that probably need adjusted, just look for a bios template in this thread and follow it. When you get to restart cycle usually means an unstable setting in bios. I think I would try to get stable on 2 gig of ram before trying 4.
    Last edited by chuckm; 05-02-2009, 10:49 AM.
    E7400, Gigabyte P45-UD3P, 2gb Patriot PC28500,
    WD 320 gig HD, Sapphire 4670 DDR4, Corsair VX550
    Xigmatek HDT1283, Antec 300, Xp Pro 32bit

Comment

You think that this is the problem? (4 memory banks occupied) ?

Comment

I have the same problem with my EP45-UD3R and Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066. It is rated at 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2V but it always boots (after many reset cycles) into 5-7-7-24 @ 2.2V.

I have not found a solution yet.

Alex

Originally posted by ultraxmode View Post
        Hi,

I own a GA-EP45UD3P (rev 1.1) motherboard and installed 4 modules of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15 2.0V modules (two kits of BL2KIT12864AA106A)...-> Total memory : 4GB

So I installed the latest firmware upgrade from Gigabyte (F8).

All settings are in "Auto". The memory settings say that my memory is at 5-7-7-24 timings (my memory is 5-5-5-15) and that the voltage is 1.8V (the memory voltage is at 2.0V)... So I correct those settings, I put 5-5-5-15 for timings and 2.0V..

My PC restarts randomly to day by day circles.. In random time.. and when I fire up Bios settings, the Bios itself is changing the values to 5-7-7-24 and 1.8V.. and round we go..

Can anybody help me please? I'm desperate..

PS : My CPU is a Core2Quad Q9300 CPU..

PS2: Oh !! I forgot to tell you that a lot of times , when I change those values in Bios, and then the PC restarts , it restarts forever... (on...off...on....off...on....off...etc..) so I have to pull off the Power cable..

Thanks!

Comment

Do you have USB Storage Function set to [Enabled]? Try setting that to disabled. It worked for me.
          Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P - Intel QX9750 3.16GHz w/ Zalman CNPS9500 - OCZ PC3-10666 Reaper HPC (OCZ3RPR13332GK) x4 - Corsair CMPSU-850TX - Gigabyte GV-N285-1GH-B w/ ThermalRight HR-03 GTX - ASUS Xonar D2X - Zalman MFC1-Plus - Antec P182

Comment

Yes Svengali, I have it to enabled. Lets disable it.. and see how it goes...

Thanks!

EDIT : I disabled USB Storage Function... problem remains... If I could low the clocks for the memory? Set it to 800MHz ? What are the timings then? and the Voltage?
            Last edited by ultraxmode; 05-02-2009, 04:34 PM.

Comment

@ alexf1852

The Crucial 2.2V sticks had a design flaw and you should RMA them for a new set of 2.0V sticks, they will RMA them for you. Just tell them you have nothing but issues and would like to have the 2.0V replacements

@ ultraxmode

4GB needs some changes for sure, and Auto voltages and such is not helping. I will give you a template now with the important changes you should make. If you want a full template let me know and I can help with that later.

This will be for stock setup mentioned above, anything I leave blank set to Auto, anything that says Auto leave of course for now

Please load optimized defaults and set your ram voltage only then apply, if you have not done so already. If you have not, please read this guide for tips you need to be aware of when loading optimized defaults >>>

You must load them though, this is a requirement anytime you flash the BIOS or build a system. On that note I also advise you use the latest BIOS linked below.

GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.0)

Code:
              [b][u]MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)[/u][/b]
              Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
              CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 7
              Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.5
              CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.5

[b][u]Clock Chip Control [/u][/b]
              [b][u]Standard Clock Control[/u][/b]
              CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
              CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333Mhz
              [B]PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100[/B]

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

[b][u]Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter][/u][/b]
              CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
              PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
              CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
              MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

[b][u]DRAM Performance Control[/u][/b][u][/u]
              [B]Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD][/B]
              Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
              (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
              System Memory Multiplier ..............: 3.20B
              Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066
              DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

[b]Standard Timing Control[/b]
              CAS Latency Time........................5
              tRCD .........................................5
              tRP'...........................................5
              tRAS..........................................15

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first.  Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

[b][u]Advanced Timing Control[/u][/b]
              tRRD...........................................
              tWTR..........................................
              tWR............................................
              tRFC...........................................54-62
              tRTP...........................................
              Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

[u][b]Driving Strength Profiles[/b][/u][b][/b]
              Driving Strength ............................ 1066

[b]Channel A[/b]
              Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
               tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
              tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
               tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
               tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
              Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
              Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
              Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
              Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
              Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
              Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b]Channel B[/b]
              Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
               tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
              tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
               tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
               tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
              Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
              Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
              Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
              Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
              Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
              Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b][U]Motherboard Voltage Control[/U][/b][U][/U]

[b]CPU[/b]
              CPU Vcore….……….........................:Auto if not overclocking, if you are overclocking please do find and set your own voltages

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.2-1.5 depending on Vcore, try to keep at least .1 under vcore.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.5-1.65.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

[b]MCH/ICH[/b]
              MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.2-1.3 (1.20-1.24 often fine)
              MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
              MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
              ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: <<< 1.55
              ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< 1.14

[b]DRAM[/b]
              DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.0-2.04
              DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
              Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
              Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

[b][U]Advanced Settings[/U][/b][U][/U]
              Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
              No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
              C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
              x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
              CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
              CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
              Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

[b][U]Integrated Peripherals[/U][/b][U][/U]
              Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Originally posted by Svengali View Post
                Do you have USB Storage Function set to [Enabled]? Try setting that to disabled. It worked for me.
                I had it enabled. Then I disabled it. No change. I had left the computer off overnight. Came back the next evening and it wouldn't boot even after countless reboot/reset cycles. I took out two of the four sticks (2 x 1GB sticks left in dual channel mode) and it booted right up. I changed the BIOS settings from 5-5-5-15 to 5-7-7-24 like it usually uses. Then shut it off and inserted the other two sticks back in. It booted up after about 2 or 3 reset cycles.

These sticks worked fine in an ABit board that I had previously. So my money is that this board is bad. But I don't want to be without a computer for 2-3 weeks. I'll probably bite the bullet and send this board back in a couple of weeks.

alex

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                  @ alexf1852

The Crucial 2.2V sticks had a design flaw and you should RMA them for a new set of 2.0V sticks, they will RMA them for you. Just tell them you have nothing but issues and would like to have the 2.0V replacements
                  When you mentioned this same thing to me in another thread similar to this one, I went to Crucial support and mentioned this to them about the 2.2V sticks having a design flaw. The person told me that this wasn't true and didn't grant my RMA because the 2.0V or the 1.8V sticks were considered to be a different product and couldn't be substituted for my 2.2V sticks.

If I were certain that my problem was definitely my memory modules, then I would not care to spend another $50 for compatible memory modules. But since these modules worked fine in my other Abit board, and they work fine in this board in both 5-7-7-24 (after a few reset cycles) and 5-5-5-15 (after an eternity of reset cycles), I still tend to think that this board is bad. I would hate to buy another set of memory sticks and find that I still have the same problem.

Alex

Comment

Alex, I dont think your board is bad.. I think they have a minor incompatibility with the ballistix modules...

I think that with a little help for the guys here in this forum, we are gonna make it.. ;)

@LSDmeasap :

I had no printer at home, so today I will print your settings and try them in the afternoon.. I'll keep you informed ! Thank you so much for your help !

Comment

@LSDmeasap :

Can you give me a full BIOS Template please? I do not want to overclock so here is my hardware setup.

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 LGA755 cpu at 2.5GHz
                      Memory : 4 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix at 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15 at 2.0V (???... I dont know for sure that those memory modules are working at 2.0V or 2.2V (model number -> BL12864AA1065.8FE5)
                      PSU : Enermax 550W non-modular.
                      Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1 (Bios -> F9)
                      GPU : ASUS nVidia 8500GT 512MB PCI-Express
                      DVDROM : Pioneer ATAPI
                      Hard Disk : Seagate 250GB SATA
                      CPU Cooler : Scythe Mugen 2

I repeat, NO OVERCLOCKING wanted .

thank you so much !!!

UPDATE : LSDmeasap... I tried those settings you recommended with no luck... infinite restarts.. the memory still goes to 5-7-7-24... and the system hangs.. BSOD and stuff.. I am desperate.. I now try to run the system with only two modules of four.. (2GB total)..If you can please send me a template.. tell me what to do.. you surely know wayyyy too much... My server was running 24/7 for years before I buy this motherboard .. I changed my CPU.motherboard and memory to work more efficiently.. not to go crazy... oh well.. Im waiting for you to help me If you can.. Thanks man..

Below are the screenshots from CPU-Z and Memset4.0 : (PS : I have now two Crucial Ballistix sticks, not four...just checking if the system will work with 2GB instead of 4GB.. )

UPDATE : I edited the BIOS and I set 2.2V for the memories (afterall, I think I might have the 2.2V ones) My system restarts randomly .. the event viewer for example, made an event -> " The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x80868f4b, 0xf789ec74, 0xf789e970). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP."
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ultraxmode; 05-06-2009, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Any help appreciated!

thanks!

Comment

Guys,
                          We can't help you until you post your current bios settings (using Lsdme's template). Ignore the settings in the template. Make sure that you accurately fill in your settings.

If a setting on your system is set to AUTO use this format so that there's no confusion.

Cpu Core ........... 1.250000 ........ [Auto]

Use this format so that it's clear when you've manually set the value:

tRCD ................... 7 ................. [5]

Add the following info for you system at the top of your bios settings, such as:

CPU: Q9300 - 7.5 x 333MHz
                          Mobo: EP45-UD3P // rev: 1.1 // bios: F8
                          Ram: Crucial Ballistix 2.0 volt PC2-8500 (or DDR2 1066) 4x1GB // part# BL2KIT12864AA106A
                          External link to your ram's specs goes here.

Add your hardware list to your forum signature, it will cut down on possible errors.

There's nothing magical with 5-7-7-24 memory timings. Every time your mobo barfs, it tries to boot a stock speeds with these settings.
                          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

OK ! got that ! I will be back with decent data for you ! thanks!

Comment

@ultraxmode

See if this helps for error 0x0000007E.
                              Which o/s are you running?

From your screenshot, you have the 2.2 volt Crucial memory.
                              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
                              X