SATA HDD not recognized by BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA HDD not recognized by BIOS

Hello, I have been trying to find solution for (too) long now and I hope you will be able to help me...

Motherboard: GA-M56S-S3 with AMD X2 proc
    DVD drive SATA

My old HDD Maxtor seems to got a fatal error, nothing I could do to boot into Windows. It is an IDE HDD and it is recognized by BIOS. It contains important data and I already bought another HDD to install Windows again and try to save data from the faulty hard drive. I hope the data is still there... but enough of the story, here is the problem.

I bought a WD 1TB Caviar HDD. BIOS does not recognize it, all blank. All SATA ports are working, because it always recognizes DVD drive, wherever I connect it. I tried with IDE Auto Detection feature, but still no success. I have noticed however, that if there is no drive in SATA connector, it refreshes in one second. If I try with the Channel, which does have the drive, it takes 6-7 seconds to tell me there is no drive there. The drive itself seems physically ok, and is turning, visually working.

I understand there is some problem with SATA drivers when XP are to be installed, however I don't believe this is the case here? I do have a XP installation DVD with slipstreamed SP2 and SATA driver, but this seems to be more serious as BIOS itself doesn't see the drive.

I think I have tried most of the BIOS settings I read on the forum, some of them of course are missing, because it is different model. In particular, I am not sure, how to add drive specifications manually in this motherboard as it was suggested by someone. There is no clear option how to do that.

If flashing BIOS is a must, I will try to do that, however I don't have any floppy at the moment so would prefer to test other solutions first. Can flashing BIOS be done also from USB key in this BIOS? I have read something about required formatting of the key and I hope that cheap USB keys do have that formatting.

This is the closest help I could find on WD site.
    1. The first reason I think is not valid here, I believe that this is switched off with NV SATA Controller option, which I have enabled?
    2. The second one I don't know, but it doesn't look like it. Onchip SATA mode is set to IDE, not RAID or AHCI.
    3. Also not true, I was able to install XP with slipstreamed drivers on a laptop.

Legacy USB storage detect Disabled or enabled, same thing. I have also tried with WD Lifeguard Tools, however wasn't able to properly run it. I read somewhere that the problem is with SATA drives, that Lifeguard doesn't see.

Painful, I have to say. But board looks ok, drive looks ok, there has to be a solution? Thanks for reading so far.
    Last edited by trdi; 05-12-2009, 06:04 AM.

Re: SATA HDD not recognized by BIOS

Is there a jumper on the back of the drive? If so, remove it. Do you have another PC to test the drive in? If you do please try it there just to be sure it is not DOA.

Some drives need to be setup with the manufacturer tools for first use, and will not be able to be used until you do so. This process sets the drive active, and formats it for first use. If your drive needs this then formatting it with anything else wont help at all until it is set active.

This may be the case with your drive, so I would download and use the lifeguard tools and the Diagnostics program from another PC. I see you tried lifeguard and had issues, this normally means the drive is DOA, happens often with WD. Personally that is why I stopped using them, but you will hear the same argument from both sides of the fence from WD/Seagate users.

I would suggest you try them both from another PC within windows. Here they all are just incase you need a link to them >>
    WD Support > Downloads > SATA Hard Drives > WD RE4-GP

Your BIOS settings should be as follows and you should connect your Drive (If going to be OS) to the first port SATAII0, connect your SATA DVD into the last port.

These settings are for a NON AHCI/RAID Setup, IDE/PATA/Normal SATA mode OS Install, for anyone reading this later.

Integrated Peripherals
    NV Serial-ATA 1 .................. Enabled
    Onchip SATA Mode .............. IDE

Now, about your BIOS. What version are you using? This being an older board and a newer 1.5T drive you may have to update your BIOS. But if this were the case I would still think it would work and just not pickup the full drive amount. I do not think it would not work at all, but I could be wrong

You can flash your BIOS from a USB Stick using the bootable USB Stick method I have outlined in the Qflash guide, or you can just use Qflash with a USB Stick and the USB Stick would not even need to be bootable (Try first) >>

Legacy USB Storage would have to be enabled for sure to do either of those though, so keep that in mind. If you have issues booting to USB try pressing F12 at bootup, then choose hard drive/HDD + and on the next screen you should see your USB Stick by name. The USB Stick would need to be left connected when doing all of this as well, just a reminder so you are not trying to connect it in the middle of any of these processes.

I am not sure what BIOS you are using now, but I do see F3 addresses 1T drive issues (Only size detection) but that may make the point that any under F3 could have issues. I would suggest you try the latest F5 of course >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-M56S-S3 (rev. 1.x)

Comment

I flashed the Bios to F5, didn't help.

I used the same USB key to run WD Data Lifegueard Tools. This time it did run well (as opposed to previous try, when I used bootable CD), however the tool didn't find any hard drive.

Settings at Integrated Peripherals page are as follows:
      On-Chip IDE Channel: Enabled
      IDE DMA trasfer access: Enabled
      NV SATA Controller: Enabled
      IDE Prefetch Mode: Enabled
      USB Memory type: Shadow
      SATA RAID Config: IDE
      Onboard LAN Boot ROM: Disabled
      Parallel Port Mode: SPP
      Legacy USB storage detect: Disabled unless I need USB key.

What is the probability, that drive is really DOA? I'm not able to test the drive in another system at the moment, until I buy something to convert it into an external drive and test it on laptop... is this worth it at all?

Comment

Originally posted by trdi View Post
        I flashed the Bios to F5, didn't help.

I used the same USB key to run WD Data Lifegueard Tools. This time it did run well (as opposed to previous try, when I used bootable CD), however the tool didn't find any hard drive.

Settings at Integrated Peripherals page are as follows:
        On-Chip IDE Channel: Enabled
        IDE DMA trasfer access: Enabled
        NV SATA Controller: Enabled
        IDE Prefetch Mode: Enabled
        USB Memory type: Shadow
        SATA RAID Config: IDE
        Onboard LAN Boot ROM: Disabled
        Parallel Port Mode: SPP
        Legacy USB storage detect: Disabled unless I need USB key.

What is the probability, that drive is really DOA? I'm not able to test the drive in another system at the moment, until I buy something to convert it into an external drive and test it on laptop... is this worth it at all?

When you first turn on the PC have you ever detected any activity whatsoever from the Drive?

Meaning, does it seem to react when you first turn on the PC?

Try placing your hand on top of the drive and then powering up the PC to determine if it is receiving power and if its motor spins or not when you first turn the PC on. And you can try and isolate it a little audibly wise too and put your ear close to it in order to listen at the same time you have your hand on it. Drives have gotten so quiet these days its hard to tell anymore.

GL
        <<< LGA2011-v3 System Summary >>>
        > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
        > Chipset : Intel X99
        > Mainboard :Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
        (NE Link)
        > Processor : i7-6850K (NE Link)
        > AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 (NE Link)
        > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)
        > Video Card : 2x ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING (NE Link)

<<< LGA1366 System Summary >>>
        > Power Supply:
        >>>Original PSU (2011-01) :
        Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
        >>>Upgrade PSU (2012-01) : CORSAIR AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W (NE Link)
        > Chipset : Intel X58
        > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV.2.0) (FB BIOS)
        (NE Link MPP Link)
        > Processor : i7-950 (Revision D0) 3.0GHz @3.84GHz
        (NE Link MPP Link)
        > HSF:
        Noctua NH-D14 (NE Link MPP Link)
        > Physical Memory :
        >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
        >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
        > Video Card :
        >>>Original Vid Card (2011-01) : BFG Geforce GTX295 (
        NE Link)
        >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2012-01) : (2) EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GTX 560 Ti (2GB)-SLI (
        NE Link)
        >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2013-07) : (2) GTX 760-SLI Gigabyte GV-N760OC-4GB (NE Link)
        > DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
        > Monitor :
        ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26" (
        NE Link)
        > Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate
        > Case : COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel (
        NE Link)

<<< LGA775 System Summary >>>
        > Power Supply: Corsair 620HX (
        NE Link)
        > Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (F2 BIOS)
        > Chipset : Intel P35
        > Processor : Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (Revision C0) 3.0GHz @ 3950 MHz
        > HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
        > Physical Memory : CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) (
        Link)
        > Video Card : BFG Geforce GTX295
        >
        Monitor : ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26"

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Is there a jumper on the back of the drive? If so, remove it. Do you have another PC to test the drive in? If you do please try it there just to be sure it is not DOA.

Some drives need to be setup with the manufacturer tools for first use, and will not be able to be used until you do so. This process sets the drive active, and formats it for first use. If your drive needs this then formatting it with anything else wont help at all until it is set active.

This may be the case with your drive, so I would download and use the lifeguard tools and the Diagnostics program from another PC. I see you tried lifeguard and had issues, this normally means the drive is DOA, happens often with WD. Personally that is why I stopped using them, but you will hear the same argument from both sides of the fence from WD/Seagate users.

I would suggest you try them both from another PC within windows. Here they all are just incase you need a link to them >>
          WD Support > Downloads > SATA Hard Drives > WD RE4-GP

Your BIOS settings should be as follows and you should connect your Drive (If going to be OS) to the first port SATAII0, connect your SATA DVD into the last port.

These settings are for a NON AHCI/RAID Setup, IDE/PATA/Normal SATA mode OS Install, for anyone reading this later.

Integrated Peripherals
          NV Serial-ATA 1 .................. Enabled
          Onchip SATA Mode .............. IDE

Now, about your BIOS. What version are you using? This being an older board and a newer 1.5T drive you may have to update your BIOS. But if this were the case I would still think it would work and just not pickup the full drive amount. I do not think it would not work at all, but I could be wrong

You can flash your BIOS from a USB Stick using the bootable USB Stick method I have outlined in the Qflash guide, or you can just use Qflash with a USB Stick and the USB Stick would not even need to be bootable (Try first) >>

Legacy USB Storage would have to be enabled for sure to do either of those though, so keep that in mind. If you have issues booting to USB try pressing F12 at bootup, then choose hard drive/HDD + and on the next screen you should see your USB Stick by name. The USB Stick would need to be left connected when doing all of this as well, just a reminder so you are not trying to connect it in the middle of any of these processes.

I am not sure what BIOS you are using now, but I do see F3 addresses 1T drive issues (Only size detection) but that may make the point that any under F3 could have issues. I would suggest you try the latest F5 of course >>
          GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-M56S-S3 (rev. 1.x)
          To Trdi I have had good luck with using the Floppy version of the Western Digital software. I think this is because the floppy drive is usually set up correctly by default. If you do not have a floppy with IDE cable then second best choice is floppy with USB (enable USB support in BIOS first- Disable legacy storage detect too). I see you have already tried to set the BIOS to auto detect Drive.

When working with a problem It is wize to be patient and sometimes you have to step away from the problem for a break. Yes , It is worth trying to solve problems by yourself, because you learn something and save money.
          Last edited by MadMax2911; 05-10-2009, 10:51 AM. Reason: add thoughts
          BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

Originally posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
            When you first turn on the PC have you ever detected any activity whatsoever from the Drive?

Meaning, does it seem to react when you first turn on the PC?

Try placing your hand on top of the drive and then powering up the PC to determine if it is receiving power and if its motor spins or not when you first turn the PC on. And you can try and isolate it a little audibly wise too and put your ear close to it in order to listen at the same time you have your hand on it. Drives have gotten so quiet these days its hard to tell anymore.

GL
            You can get just as much help from a good question as you can from a good answer...

Your suspicion was correct. I know it is a green model, silent etc, but still I would have to hear or feel at least something after 50 restarts. Nothing, zero. The power cable is not a problem as I tried also with the one that from DVD. Besides, the chips on the bottom of the drive get warm. But nothing in the drive ever moves. What is the conclusion? 100% DOA or not just 100% yet?

Comment

You can get just as much help from a good question as you can from a good answer...

Your suspicion was correct. I know it is a green model, silent etc, but still I would have to hear or feel at least something after 50 restarts. Nothing, zero. The power cable is not a problem as I tried also with the one that from DVD. Besides, the chips on the bottom of the drive get warm. But nothing in the drive ever moves. What is the conclusion? 100% DOA or not just 100% yet?
              Have you figured out what BIOS version you have now? Is it F4 or F6? look at LSDME's where He asked you check your BIOS update Page here
              GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-M56S-S3 (rev. 1.x) I dont see any clue as to what the updated BIOS solves so you could just try it before you RMA or return drive.
              Also if there is little evidence that the drive is working then suspect a bad drive maybe hard to tell as I am not there.

Have you tried the Floppy method to format the drive (with WD software?) like I asked you to? Also I expect you know that you need to extract the files (which is a ISO) to a floppy then use the Floppy to boot (set PC to boot to floppy) Jes there must be a sticky for this somewhere. :(

Have you tried another power cable to the drive-Reseated the cable? Tried another Power supply?

I hesitate to ask you to try a voltmeter as I would have to explain all the ins and outs of that. Plus the possibility of you damaging something else, no I wont even go there.
              Just RMA the drive then I guess.
              Max out
              Last edited by MadMax2911; 05-10-2009, 06:50 PM. Reason: sp
              BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

Updated prev post with more info

Comment

Originally posted by MadMax2911 View Post
                  Have you figured out what BIOS version you have now? Is it F4 or F6? look at LSDME's where He asked you check your BIOS update Page here
                  GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-M56S-S3 (rev. 1.x) I dont see any clue as to what the updated BIOS solves so you could just try it before you RMA or return drive.
                  It was F1, but I updated it to F5.

Have you tried the Floppy method to format the drive (with WD software?) like I asked you to?
                  I don't have floppy so I tried with USB, like I said. I didn't have problem with WD software, it worked ok. However when it comes to the step when it asks which drive I want to install, it showed 4 empty drive channels.

Have you tried another power cable to the drive-Reseated the cable? Tried another Power supply?
                  Yes, like I said I did try also with DVD SATA cable, which works fine with DVD drive, but doesnt work with the HD. Also power supply doesnt seem to be the problem, as the chips get warm. It just does't react or move.

Comment

Thanks for the complement on the question and of course the excellent answer to it Trdi.

First off, please add all your Specifications to your Tweak Town Signature.

1. Click where it says "User CP" at the top of any page on this forum when your logged in. Or maybe this might work: TweakTown Forums .

2. Click, " Edit Signature " on the left of your Control Panel.

3. Update the following with your own info and copy/paste it all into your new signature:

<<< System Summary >>>
                    > Power Supply: ________________________
                    > Mainboard : ________________________
                    > Chipset : ________________________
                    > Processor : ________________________
                    > CPU HeatSink and Fan (HSF): ________________________
                    > Physical Memory : ________________________(Put a Link to your RAM's specifications here next to it.)
                    > Video Card : ________________________
                    > DVD-Rom Drive : ________________________
                    > Monitor Type : ________________________
                    > Operating System : ________________________

4. Preview and save it.

And then we'll be able to see all your Specifications on every post you make.

And include your mobo rev#, bios version in your signature too.

Second,

...the chips on the bottom of the drive get warm. But nothing in the drive ever moves. What is the conclusion? 100% DOA or not just 100% yet?
                    If the drive was absolutely DOA, then it should be concluded that maybe, and I repeat maybe, that having a power plug plugged into it would result in no difference whatsoever, than if you did not have any power plug plugged into it at all. (*She sells Sea Shells by the Sea Shore.lol)

For example, if having it plunged in, resulted in it not warming at all, and remaining cool to the touch... it would be, and only be, 99% more in favor of it being 100% DOA.

For absolute confirmation, and the first of many many many parameters- that you must start with- you yourself have to have witnessed an identical drive working continuously for days and days and maybe weeks- or so to say- in this same PC.

Second of many many many... is the possibility that an identical sized drive or larger sized drive with almost all other specifications the same, as this suspected DOA one, had worked continuously for days and days and maybe weeks- or so to say- in this same PC.

Yes, its confusing and I apologize Trdi for it being so. And, listing all the other things or steps, would take too long.

So, the best thing to do is to make it less confusing. And or move ahead, up and onward....

With the exact Make, Model, and Serial Number, ask the manufacturer in addition to coming here in the meantime:
                    What are the steps you require to validate it as being DOA? (Because you suspect after doing some research and running some tests, that it is.)

Sorry if I missed anything Trdi, but I was just trying to cover the warm-to-the-touch-controller-card-on-the-HDD-(Hard drisk drive)-when-plugged-in-and-the-PC-running-but-HDD-not-being-recognized-by-the-PC thing.

And even though it took many many words, too many maybe, at least I didn't just tell you to RMA the dam thing; but rather helped you understand a little more about what to do before rushing to such a conclusion.

For now get your Specifications in your Signature please. It makes it so much easier to help by peaking at the bottom of your most recent- or anyone of- your posts, and acquiring the data quickly that way.

Oh, and try not to include your High School Football team's win/ loss record or anything like it in the Specifications in your Signature, please.(sry ;))
                    Last edited by Bee_Dee_3_Dee; 05-11-2009, 02:53 AM.
                    > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
                    (NE Link)
                    > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)

> Power Supply:
                    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
                    (NE Link MPP Link)
                    (NE Link MPP Link)
                    > HSF:
                    > Physical Memory :
                    >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
                    >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
                    > Video Card :
                    NE Link)
                    NE Link)
                    > Monitor :
                    NE Link)
                    NE Link)

NE Link)
                    Link)
                    >

Comment

It was F1, but I updated it to F5.

Yes, like I said I did try also with DVD SATA cable, which works fine with DVD drive, but doesnt work with the HD. Also power supply doesnt seem to be the problem, as the chips get warm. It just does't react or move.
                      Did you buy a 5.00 SATA data cable from a store and try that? Sometimes SATA data cables get funky and do not connect properly or they get broken in various ways. One of mine got stuck in a drive and I chipped the drive plastic taking it out. One other cable came apart on the end so I had to replace it I have even had a drive short out while in operation and take one SATA port with it (IE sata port does not work).
                      Advice is try wiggling cable first and then replacing it as a last resort.
                      Or if you have RMA d the drive buy another cable too for sure.
                      One more thing Lsdmeasap will be back today for sure, maybe he has a few pearls of wizdom to share.

Regards MadMax
                      Last edited by MadMax2911; 05-11-2009, 08:41 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

I took the drive to shop, they tested it and confirmed that drive doesn't work. They gave me another one, same model. I asked him to test it right there but he was lazy and said it is a million to one. I am working in gambling industry and of course I wouldn't bet on that.

I ran the drive in my computer at home, holding the drive in my hands and trying to hear if it is going to work. Those chips at the bottom got hot very fast and burnt me. Still having a mark on my thumb. But I am sure that drive again didn't move at start up. Same problem. Is it my computer? If my computer is the problem I still believe that the drive would have to move at least first second out of the bag, no?

After this incident I remembered one small detail also from the first drive, that repeated now. It smelled bad, like it got burned or something. You know when you buy something like some sort of a kitchen machine and for the first time you smell the burning. I thought it was normal as the drive was new, but after this super hot chips that burnt me after 5 seconds I am not so sure anymore. The old drive chips were only mildly warm after couple of days, is this important info?

What to do now, it is "one in million" and I got two in a row?

Comment

I took the drive to shop, they tested it and confirmed that drive doesn't work. They gave me another one, same model. I asked him to test it right there but he was lazy and said it is a million to one. I am working in gambling industry and of course I wouldn't bet on that.

I ran the drive in my computer at home, holding the drive in my hands and trying to hear if it is going to work. Those chips at the bottom got hot very fast and burnt me. Still having a mark on my thumb. But I am sure that drive again didn't move at start up. Same problem. Is it my computer? If my computer is the problem I still believe that the drive would have to move at least first second out of the bag, no?

After this incident I remembered one small detail also from the first drive, that repeated now. It smelled bad, like it got burned or something. You know when you buy something like some sort of a kitchen machine and for the first time you smell the burning. I thought it was normal as the drive was new, but after this super hot chips that burnt me after 5 seconds I am not so sure anymore. The old drive chips were only mildly warm after couple of days, is this important info?

What to do now, it is "one in million" and I got two in a row?
                          First add specs to ur sig like here back on thi post: (and include all the HHD's specs too.)

(NE Link)

> Power Supply:
                          Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
                          (NE Link MPP Link)
                          (NE Link MPP Link)
                          > HSF:
                          > Physical Memory :
                          > Video Card :
                          NE Link)
                          NE Link)
                          > Monitor :
                          NE Link)
                          NE Link)

NE Link)
                          Link)
                          >

Comment

I am working on more computers so I don't think adding this to signature is very practical. All info is written in the thread. First post has the link to the exact model and specifications of the drive, exact motherboard and also I gave info about BIOS. Maybe PSU is also interesting to know, so I will get that info when I get home.

Comment

Is there a chance that you are shorting out the drives by holding them in your hand when they are powered? I can see touching the top / sides to feel for vibration and possibly touching the chip gently if absolutly necessary but it would be real easy to short out the whole thing if not extremely careful. The burning smell and non working state would immediately follow a shorted circut board or chip.
                              Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Working...
                              X