Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD3R and triple channel mode

Hi

I am trying to get my memory running in triple channel mode.
    it is Kingston HyperX 6GB (3x2GB) Intel XMP DDR3 12800C9 1600MHz Tri-Channel Kit

I am running the I7 920 at stock speed. The memory has been running in XMP mode and at the moment I have manually set timings and voltage but it still says it is in dual channel mode in cpuz and everest.

I have installed it in the correct slots and tried reseating it but still no good.

Is there something in the bios i need to change to get it to run in triple channel.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
    ASUS X99-Deluxe II
    CRYORIG A80 AIO
    GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
    Samsung Evo polaris 250gb
    16Gb Avexir core red series
    Evga P2 750 wt
    Phantec Evolv Tg.

Re: GA-EX58-UD3R and triple channel mode

No. There is no setting for triple channel mode. Both of my 6Gb kits I've tested on this mobo ran in triple channel mode automatically. Do NOT populate the blue slot (second slot from the left), only the 3 white slots. If you populate the blue slot, and leave one white unpopulated, it thinks you only have 2 channels, with 2Gb on one channel and 4Gb on the other (Intel has crazy multichannel compatability modes allowing you to piggy-back another stick on the first channel).

3 white slots, no blue. Remember that. If you use the blue, you lose a channel but get to keep the ram total amount. If you use all 3 white slots, triple channel WILL work right with no extra configuration.
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
    And several other rigs...

Comment

I have the memory in the correct slots but both cpuz and everest state that i am in dual channe mode as in the pic.

can you see anything in the pic that explains whats wrong

thx again
      Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
      ASUS X99-Deluxe II
      CRYORIG A80 AIO
      GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
      Evga P2 750 wt
      Phantec Evolv Tg.

Comment

Well, something is wrong for sure. I've had both Corsair and OCZ to test with and both never made me do anything tricky beyond just installing to the white slots. Give me an hour to get home for the day and I'll look at my machine to compare with yours, we'll figure it out ;)
        Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
        Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green

Comment

thx mate ;)
          Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
          ASUS X99-Deluxe II
          CRYORIG A80 AIO
          GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
          Evga P2 750 wt
          Phantec Evolv Tg.

Comment

Okay, my CPUz shows triple channel, so it's not a software bug, for some reason you really ARE running dual channel mode, and the ONLY thing I can think of is wrong slot placement.

Okay, here's the deal. Looking straight on to your motherboard with the CPU towards the top, the ram slots sit immediately to the right of the CPU socket. There are 4 slots there. The first one, third one, and the forth one are all white, the second one is blue. Are you POSITIVE you don't have the three closest slots to the CPU filled? I'm serious here, these have to be exactly right or you won't get triple channel mode.

[slot 1]=X [slot 2]=0 [slot 3]=X [slot 4]=X There should NOT be three sticks in a row. It should go one stick in slot 1 (closest slot to CPU socket), nothing in slot 2, and one stick each for 3 and 4.

That is how the slots should be populated. There just isn't anything else to cause 3 sticks to run in dual channel mode. If you have any possibility to take a pic of your memory slots and how they're populated, it would really help.
            Last edited by moshpit; 05-11-2009, 06:19 PM.

Comment

try re-seating the cpu, check the pins too while you're there
              i7 950, Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R (2.0), 3x4GB G.Skill PC3-12800, HD 6970

Comment

they are definately in the correct slots. Slot one is white....slot 2 is blue...slots 3 and 4 are both white....i have memory in white slots only....i will try re-seating the cpu tomorrow...I have to go bed now...work in the morning...will post back tomorrow if i fix it...or not
                Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
                ASUS X99-Deluxe II
                CRYORIG A80 AIO
                GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
                Evga P2 750 wt
                Phantec Evolv Tg.

Comment

Bios version then? I'm pretty blown away that triple channel didn't just work first try. Kingston is a brand I generally ignore though, but I doubt it's really brand related.

There's just not much to it though. There's no settings for it. It's simply a matter (usually, I guess, since it's not working for you) of sticking 3 identical sticks in the right slots, and it just works. At least the 2 6Gb kit's I've run are that way on this board. Corsair XMS3 and OCZ's with the cool little i7 sticker on them both work fine in triple channel.

Comment

ok...reseated the chip....checked the pins and couldnt see anything wrong....not that I am saying I actually knew what I was looking at...but it seemed ok to me....restarted the pc and still no triple channel....any Ideas?

I am usiong the latest F5 bios
                    Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
                    ASUS X99-Deluxe II
                    CRYORIG A80 AIO
                    GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
                    Evga P2 750 wt
                    Phantec Evolv Tg.

Comment

Here is an update for anyonw who is interested.

Removed 2 sticks of ram and ran memtest 86 on each stick independently. Found no problems......put 2 sticks in and ran test....pc rebooted after a few seconds.....tried 2 sticks in different slots....pc rebooted again..........reset bios.....tried 3 sticks in correct slots only this time i had sticks in different slots from before......booted pc......triple channel mode is now working.....dont know what thing I did solved the problem but I am now happy

thx.
                      Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
                      ASUS X99-Deluxe II
                      CRYORIG A80 AIO
                      GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
                      Evga P2 750 wt
                      Phantec Evolv Tg.

Comment

Dust maybe? Fingerprints? This is one of those you chalk up to weirdness and move on. Congrats on getting up and running.

Comment

Just a note for anyone hitting this thru search/Google... I had the same problem as the original poster. Came back to the machine a couple of days later, moved some sticks around, and got it to work in triple channel mode. Chalk another one up for oddity.

Comment

could have been a slightly loose ram slot,and taking ram modules in n out could have moved it making it work again
                            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X